Results from "Old Europe"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
yeah but look at the life of the bulb, it would cost nearly the same to run that then a pro projector, it has got nice specs but the bulb life just aint there, also with that kind of power he should be able to get the image brighter then what it is with better optics and a decent light engine.

Trev

Price of Lamp/Bulp:

Hello Guys: Yes, it seems to be expensive compared to a usual Halogen Bulps on the first view, but: It runs 750 hours in average! And that's what counts.

Compared to that, a simple single Halogen bulp with 400 Watts is about 3-7 EUR on ebay. But they only last for about 50 hours.

If you buy the lamps I'm using (Metal Halide 575 Watts) in germany from official dealers, you get them for about 140 EUR up to price range of 250 EUR (believe me, I've asked about 25 dealers via mass-mail for their price).

But I always buy them on ebay, from private sellers, not from official traders, but at about 30-100 EUR each! And that's not bad for such a long lifetime of a bulp, isn't it?

You also have alternatives from sylvania, Philips, and Radium, too.
(Radium: RSP 575 SE, Sylvania: BS 575 SE HR, Philips: MSR 575 HR/P)

They have the same specifications (I already tested a sylvania and a osram: absolutely idenical results). Price is comparable with osram, sometimes even cheaper.

i thought the same thing as cruser at first but before jumping to conclusions i looked closer and found the mirror but im still wondering how an xga res lcd could provide such a good picture at such a large size? I dont see any screendoor at all!

freeupyermind, Lets say you take a xga image and you blow it up to 8 feet diagnol and sit 12 feet away or 1.5 times the diagnol.

Take the same xga image and blow it up to 50 feet diagnol. Assuming you compansate for the light that is required and you sit at 75 feet away (1.5 times diagnol of image) it will look just as good as 12 feet away for 8 foot image. I am sure he is sitting further from his screen if he wants a good image.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
Hello Guys: Yes, it seems to be expensive compared to a usual Halogen Bulps on the first view, but: It runs 750 hours in average! And that's what counts.

Yeah but 750 hrs is nothing in my world, i used 6000hrs learning all about light engines over 7months lol and that wasdnt even watching the thing for enjoyment, that lamp u have has a great light output but at a life time of 750hrs its a waste of time to some, some in here are heavy users and use their projectors like tv's, the 250w hqi and the cdm-t is the best i think u can buy for performance vs running costs, even the 400w jcb is using is a great lamp that cost alittle more, the bulb im using on a average liftime standard is 12000hrs, i think manny would rather a longer lasting bulb then to change the bulb every 5mins and pay a high price for a bulb and its running gear, hell guys in here even complain about paying $35 for a bulb let alone 100euro's lol.

Trev

lifetime of lamp

Ace3000, I'm no hardcore-user who sits in front of it every day in the evening just to watch TV on It. I'm only watching 16:9 films at the weekend. I don't have the time to watch the daily waste on TV.

But calculate: If you take an average lifetime of such a bulp,
then you're able to watch about 375 films with a length of about 120 Minutes each. Which means: More than one year watching one film each day with one single bulp!!!
In my case it means: Watching 1-2 films a weekend-> 4 years and nearly 10 months watching 3 hours a week in average.
Calculated costs per anno: 50 EUR divided by 4,8 = 10,42 EUR costs per year. That's not very much!

I only built my setup to enjoy home cinema not every day. If I want to watch TV parallel to working at my PC for example, I don't need a 4 meters picture in width. That's like hunting a mouse with a bazooka.

Either I need some illumination to find my beer and something to eat when the TV runs parallel. Consequence: In a even slightly illuminated room, I'm using a "usual" 70 cm TV-Screen. I think: Watching News or other things on TV isn't worth beeing watched on a cinema screen with these dimensions every day. That's boring, because you get used to it if you do that every day. I won't get used to watching in that size daily. I think it should only be used for special moments. So I'm able to enjoy these moments and not getting used to It. In between, I've got the problem to find a flat with such a f*ing huge projection-wall. Thats the problem when you get used to a special comfort-standard. The following costs for appropriate Rooms are much higher than the equipment!

P.S.: My viewing distance to the Screen is about 4-5 Meters. I don't know what this means in feet, but believe me: It seems to be much bigger and the Picture is more sharpen than sitting in a multplex-cinema. I saw that recently in comparison as I watched LOTR Pt. 3 in a multiplex-cinema. It was a blurred picture there and because of the viewing distance to their screen, the viewing angle was much smaller than "at home". So the impression of the picture was like: "Oh, I guess need my binoculars".

I am not at all surprised over the bright and big result, 575W HQI give 49000lm and that is what you need with a single lcd-panel, to get a result comparaple with a pro-projector.

DIY PJ: 1 lcd * 49000lm = 49000lm
PRO PJ: 3 lcd * 2 microlens * 10000lm (UHP) = 60000lm

About lifetime of lamps, give it a break ! A HQI-lamp lifetime is measured on continuous operation, I think, and they are not made to be used in the way they are in a projector, everytime you start the lamp many hours will be lost. 6000h-12000h will maybe be 1000-2000h if you use the projector 2h aday. UHP-lamps in a pro-projector are measured in a diffrent way, 2h on 15 min off, because this is how those lamps are used, so a 4000h UHP-lamp will last in 4000h with normal use. UHP-lamps will last 15000h or more in continuous operation.

new Setup (moveable container)

New setup. Same core, improved appearance of setup.

Attachments

• frontansicht_gehaeuse.jpg
    frontansicht_gehaeuse.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 400
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.