Restoring ReVox G36 MKIII - Expert Opinions Solicited

Jumping topic somewhat, does anyone have any information on the output transformer for the G36? The schematic says 6W into 5 Ohms, though the transformer seems a little overbuilt for these ratings. I was under the impression that it was servicing, essentially, a pair of EL84s, making it suitable for a Vox AC15-type circuit. But the ECL twin-package tubes are a little tamer? Any insights would be appreciated!

The transformer is much like the one used in the Revox 40 integrated amplifier, except without the multiple output taps. Also using two ECL86 valves with fixed screen bias.
Revox often shared components among different otherwise unrelated devices, so they may have decided to use the OP transformer cores & bobbins that they had already.

I have indeed used a G36 O/P transformer with a pair of EL84s and it works well.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think it appropriate to let thread readers/participants know that I recently gave my G36 to an acquaintance as I was no longer using it much and wasn't generally happy with the performance.

I get some PMs about the high speed conversion and half track heads, the high speed conversion components are nearly unobtainium, better IMO to find a machine (Not necessarily a ReVox) already equipped for 15ips and half track heads, even better if the machine head block and electronics support 2 playback heads so that quarter track tapes can also be played back.

This is going to sound strange, but truthfully I think most tape enthusiasts would be better off with something like an Otari 5050 MKII or MKIII with an outboard tube tape amp like the Bottlehead or similar. Sorting out a G36 with serious issues will force you to spend big bucks imo for a pretty mediocre machine by today's standards - truly great in its day, now superseded badly by more modern R2R and better digital recorders sonically speaking.

Revox G36 HS upgrade

Recently listened to a master tape on my Studer A80 and the Revox G36 HS which made me decide to revise and upgrade the Revox G36 HS.

The first to the replacement of the terminal connectors on the top panel as well as a new power socket with mains switch on the same panel.

Working on the G36 is not easy because the top chassis is connected with a lot off wire for powersupply,signal , I try to clean-up this a little .

IMG_0774.jpg IMG_0855.jpg IMG_0854.jpg IMG_0859.jpg

Playback head by 5 pole DIN connected to back plane, and 28volt NOS Milspec relais for playback eq. switching. keep the wire"s as short as possible. Check playback eq. both channels 19 and 38 cm not bad for a machine from 1968 . next the record amplifier and oscillator

IMG_0889.jpg IMG_0894.jpg IMG_0887.jpg Revox G36 HS Playback eq.19 cm sec  IEC .png
Revox G36 HS Playback eq.19 cm sec  IEC Right channel .png Revox G36 HS Playback eq.38 cm sec  IEC right channel .png Revox G36 HS Playback eq.38 cm sec  IECleft channel .png ]

Hi Volken , nice work. Can you be more specific about how you modify the bias, record and playback EQ?

Thank you that will be the next step after the revision from the rec.amp concerning inputamplifier connections etc. I use the original IEC eq. nothing changed so far. First motor revision, capstan replacement]. Checking and modify the tape path, back tension regulation lot work to do. Eventually I'm going to experiment with the currently available tapes for best results. and changing the bias oscillator.

just aquired a G36 , everything is working finer but was concerned about the Celenium rectifiers. I opened up the machine and to my surprise I see a blue plastic rectifier, next to a kind of cylinder type of aluminium thing (resistor?) and a flat square component (another rectifier ?) question is: are these components original from a later revision, or has this machine been upgraded somehow? So, no selenium in it, right?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Siemens selenium rectifiers came in a variety of packaging in the early to mid 1960s. I had a MKIII with the originals which did not look exactly like yours, but those don't look like a recent replacement either.

The B30 is a standard Siemens selenium rectifier PN btw of the time. These were encapsulated in a plastic housing. This one is the LV bridge for filaments IIRC.