Restoring ReVox G36 MKIII - Expert Opinions Solicited

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, this is true and you need to adjust for that. Charles King wrote a great article on the G36 in Audio Amateur decades ago.. (Greening the ReVox G36 was the title IIRC) He's active here from time to time and has participated in this thread. Worth studying the entire thread if you have the time. (I'm the OP btw)

Hi guys,

I am new on this forum and acquired a G36 MIII some days ago. It is in excellent cosmetic condition but didn't worked at all when I got it. I found out that the selenium rectifier for the high voltage was defective. I replaced it with a silicium rectifier and put a 500 ohms/20 watt resistor in serie before the first capacitor to get the required 265V back. After a general cleanup/lubrication the G36 is working fine, at least for playback, I didn't test the recording function yet. It is equipped with the photodetection system for tape end but I cannot get it work. I couldn't find the schematics of this circuit anywhere. Can you help me ? Thanks

Dear kevinkr, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately this does not help me because I have already found this manual in other places and it is only suitable for the G36 Mk1. The G36 Mk3 has modifications, including the photoelectric tape end detector and newer magnetic heads comparable to those of the A77. I'll try again to look a little harder for an Mk3 manual. For your information I also own a Philips N4520, Technics RS-1500, TEAC X-1000m, Pioneer RT-707, Sony TC-765 and Sony TC-730.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I owned a G36MKIII and this is the last service manual. I had a hard copy of this manual (came with deck) that went with the deck when I gave it away. The schematic you need is on page 34.. As an FYI the MKIII did not have heads very similar to the A77s I've seen. I'm the thread starter if that had not occurred to you.

You might want to read the thread from the beginning. I posted the entire schematic for the MKIII in the very first post.

Attachments

• G36MKIII Opto.png
    G36MKIII Opto.png
    166.3 KB · Views: 164
In the mean time I could fix the tape end photodetection, a bad elco.
My G36 has heads (2 tracks) that look very similar to the A77s and I could see on other forums that Revox used these heads at the very end of the G36 production. The documentation has apparently never been updated, I couldn't find any official document with the new heads reference.

Hello kirikoo,

My G36 has heads (2 tracks) that look very similar to the A77s and I could see on other forums that Revox used these heads at the very end of the G36 production. The documentation has apparently never been updated, I couldn't find any official document with the new heads reference.

The newer heads (playhead for sure) have the same technical data as the old ones and look exactly like the A77 ones.

The outer case of the new G36 playhead has a asymetric bolt to avoid contact to the transport. Otherwise they have the same size. Therefore they are interchangeable. But the A77 playhead has 6dB less output voltage.

For me the A77 playhead sounds better and is less sensitiv against hum.

Best regards,
Martin