Remote Control for the BPBP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Mike,

Nice to hear that the VolCB is working the way it should, you did a great job by testing all this.
I'm not so worried about Input 4 when the Inputs 1-3 are working correctly.
In fact it means that you system is complete now, isn't it?
Or do you still have remarks or details that are not O.K.

Hans

Well I have not put it into regular use yet but everything seems to work properly and very well. The relays are much quieter than the Maya relays. I still have some work to do though. My chassis contains a phono preamp and a three way crossover as well. The Maya controls power to the other components and I have a few issues to resolve with that. It should by ready in a few days.

A big THANKS to you Hans for the design of these add on boards for the BPBP. Also Tibi and Dan at Vicol Audio deserve credit for making this possible.

Thanks, Mike

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks Dan,

To all:
This Firmware 1.1 should be the universal version for all BPBP users, with just 2, 4 or 5 inputs and includes the software that enables glitch free volume switching.

Hans

Hi Hans,

You mentioned 2, 4 and 5 inputs (?). There are some 6 inputs boards waiting for the VolCB and Maya, mine included :) Maybe you mean 6 inputs?

Thanks and Regards,
Enrico

Version 1.2 can indeed be used by all variants of the BPBP with either 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 inputs.
The point is of course that when you select an input that you don't have, the system does display this input on the display.
So when you have a 4 input board and you select input 6, this results in silence.
With the 2 input version, you can go from input 1 to input 2, but when selecting input 3 to 6, you go simply back to input 1.
But I do not see this as a big problem.

After having discussed these points, Dan proposed the following:

I will implement in the future a new firmware truly universal :
in the settings I will implement 2 new sub routines

- one in which the user can set a number 2,3,4,5,6 depending on how many inputs really has
- one in which the user can set the max gain of his BPBP to let the gain on the LCD match the real gain.

Both setting will be saved in a config file in Eeprom and loaded at power on.
But it will take some time , at least 1 month .

The point is, are those not able to load a new firmware version willing to wait another month, or shall everything be shipped by now with Firmware 1.2

Hans

Hi Hans, I would like to see the real attenuation on the display because I can feed the preamp with +4 dB. To wait one month more doesn´t matter. But if other people can´t wait, I will be able to live with the existing firmware.So do what you like to do and many,many thanks for the great work you are doing.

Hi Hans, I would like to see the real attenuation on the display because I can feed the preamp with +4 dB. To wait one month more doesn´t matter. But if other people can´t wait, I will be able to live with the existing firmware.So do what you like to do and many,many thanks for the great work you are doing.

I agree also, including the many many thanks.

I read the tread but didn't find any specific reference to a suitable power supply. Maybe my new SilentSwicher is of interest; it is specifically designed to applications like this! There is also a video on it, if you can stand my face....

One important point is that you can run it on say a PowerBank, totally separated from the mains, which does away with mains ground loops and a lot of junk coming in through it.

Comments?

Jan

Jan, Is your SilentSwitcher available for purchase?

I have good news.

Received the Maya controller plus VolCB and 4 input board last week.
After having installed firmware version 1.2, I have tested all functions and was impressed. Everything worked the way it should work, including the glitch free volume control and the remote control.

One thing needs some further explaination:
The Maya mute function is realised by deselects all incoming channels, so with the 4 input and the 6 input boards this will work perfectly.
But for a standard 2 input BPBP the input selection is with just one relay, selecting either one channel or the other.
So the Maya mute function will automatically result in playing one of both channel.

It is up to Tibi now whether he wants to deliver all outstanding orders with version 1.2.

Hans

I have good news.

After having installed firmware version 1.2, I have tested all functions and was impressed. Everything worked the way it should work, including the glitch free volume control and the remote control.

The Maya mute function is realised by deselects all incoming channels, so with the 4 input and the 6 input boards this will work perfectly.
But for a standard 2 input BPBP the input selection is with just one relay, selecting either one channel or the other.
So the Maya mute function will automatically result in playing one of both channel.

It is up to Tibi now whether he wants to deliver all outstanding orders with version 1.2.

Hans

Excellent! (fancy putting up a photo or two?)

How did you feel about the volume level reading?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I have good news.

Hans

Good news indeed! Thanks Hans

If the version 1.2 cover all the various configuration should be useful to have it already installed

Best Regards,
Enrico

Yes but the mute function needs sorting out for the 2 input board

That is outside the scope of the Maya Controller.
There is however relay K3 on the BPBP that can short circuit the output.
With just 2 channels you can use this relay to get a mute function, simply by pulling the base of T3 to V- with a switch.

A more complex solution is to connect an NOR port to channel 1 and 2 of the PCF channel selection chip and let this port steer a relay that shorts the base of T3 to V-.
In that case the Maya Mute works also for the 2 channel version of the BPBP.

Hans

Last edited:
Like this

CCI07092016.jpg

Hans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.