• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Relays for tube voltages

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unless the capacitors are fully charged I'd think it'll work. Otherwise, I still think the contacts will stick. It doesn't take much to exceed 3A. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. That's still an impressive reed relay.
i could find only kill-o-volt reeds capable of swithing of few amps (and some power RF types)

Attachments

• 15v41xc.png
    15v41xc.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 150
To the OP: Have you got a chance to try this out? I'm wondering how the reed relay worked out for you.

Not yet, I've got some parts on the way. Some experimentation is in order.

Besides the capacitor inrush, I was quite shocked by the amount of inrush the primary winding of the power transformer presented at switch on (no flux so only DC resistance). Inrush limiting at the primary suddenly looked more attractive then before (where the relay becomes less of an issue anyway). I'm now looking if primary inrush limiting is enough, or it should be a combination at both sides of the transformer.

Once the parts arrive, I'll keep you up to date.

Well , I finally got the parts in and had time to experiment. The winner is the Ametherm SL22 12103. A 120 ohm, 3 amp NTC, supposedly specifically designed for power amps (but I can't see why it would limit itself to that).

The NTC is placed in the primary and bypassed after a few seconds (have to determine the optimal time) by a relay to stop the heat production, allow it to cool down and get rid of any remaining voltage drop across it. Oscilloscope tests show the inrush is limited to around 2 amps rms and gradually lowers until it reaches its stable condition where the caps are full and heaters are warm.

It's perfect. Low parts count, no big power resistors, and it limits ALL inrush currents, cold heaters, empty caps and transformers without flux included.

Thanks again for all info and suggestions. The ones I didn't use still gave me plenty to think about!

Well , I finally got the parts in and had time to experiment. The winner is the Ametherm SL22 12103. A 120 ohm, 3 amp NTC, supposedly specifically designed for power amps (but I can't see why it would limit itself to that).
Thanks for the update. So many never return to tell how things went. I figured the ICL would be the best choice, but I really wanted to know how the reed relay would have worked.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.