reggae music

Some Belgian tunes:

(this one actually has a Brazillian singer "Juni Jupter", but she's living in Belgium)

And then Belgian's biggest reggae hit, with the UK singer Danny Red, but a Belgian production by Forward Fever Soundsystem. And even after 5 years of release (and 10 years as dubplate) stil a floorfiller worldwide.

One thing though, if the music in a song cant hold its own as a dub, then I just find it boring on my regular playlists. Listen, hmmmm, forget....

There are so many little things in life to celebrate. Most of the divides are well sorted now. Time for politics in reggae is over, unless it's about returning the Kohinoor :)

Reggae is a gorgeous music with instruments at non-aggressive settings. This is about as confrontational as it can get in most places these days :D

Yay, big up the West Midlands!

Macka B is a local lad born and raised in Wolverhampton 10 or so miles from where I live. I bought his first album when I was still in Berlin about a year before I moved to Birmingham. He is actually two years younger than me which surprised me.

Reactions: 1 user
looting.jpg

reminds me of:
This is more aimed at the riots of "Les Gillets Jaunes" (the yellow jackets) in Belgium and France a few years ago (and now again in France) where low paid workers revolted against the neoliberal goverments in Belgium and France that tries to cut back socal and workers rights. Those clashes with the security troops (police in Belgium and police and army in France) were rather violent. Original Uman is a Belgian Brussels based artist and an OG and a pioneer in the Belgian hiphop and reggae scene, as former member of De Pudra Madre (Belgian 90's gangsta rap) and Bass Culture (Belgian reggae/dancehall soundsystem). And he is a successfull artist on his own, very popular in the southern French speaking part of Belgium and in France.

Last edited:
Guys, for a DIY audio site, there is not much happening on this site about making the audio. Would love to see what the electronics DIY'ers get up to audio creation/remix/dub wise!

I am going to try getting back to some of the things we did back in the 90s when I used to get called up on occasion to do Shaba lines on the mic and also try my hand at making some reggae and dub. Being limited for people who take interest in this in my town, I am instead going digital studio with me on the bass guitar, my daughter on the synth and some bass guitar and double bass and my wife on wind instruments

To help with all effects and things, I have already received a new Roland MX-1 (Inspired by Jamaican dub according to Roland). Also Running FL Studio with a dedicated controller being the Akai Fire. Synth is the Roland JD Xi just ordered and got this DJ-202 controller also ordered last night. This should form a solid basis for a small in house ensemble with fairly good creative abilities. Of course, we need to learn a lot of this new gear but should be a fun ride

Looking for recommendations for other suitable gear and be interesting to mix it up and collaborate with guys on here

Regarding the DJ-202, check out the link. Good intuitive remix and dub abilities in this unit

When i was making (electronic) dub i just used Cubase with a lot of plugins and a old Yamaha keyboard as midi keybaord trough my Steinberg audio interface (midi in). And most dub producer i know use Reason or Ableton Live actually, often mixing fully in the box with a daw controller, or maybe trough an cheap mixing board like a Mackie or so. Most if not all reggae studio's are not that advanced, certainly not back in the time of the classical reggae. And most music still got recorded with very minimal gear today, except some more mainstream artists off course (but they sound too produced to many).

Hardware synth's can be anything, but some classics often used are the Yamaha DX7 (and variations), the infamous Casio MT-40 and the Korg M1. Effect hardware used before digital were Roland Space Echo, a spring verb (often selfmade), and later on BOSS digital delays and Lexicon digital reverbs. And a Mutron BiPhase is also often used. Software are often emulations of those. And a lot of custom stuff (mainly filters and sfx devices) are in use.

But the gear doesn't tell it all. It's how you use and abuse it that makes the difference. Some of the greatest reggae is made in a shack somewhere in the ghetto's in Kingston with a pair of beaten up 4 track 1/4-inch TEAC tapemachines, a stolen prototype of a Soundcraft Series I mixer or a Scully mixer (the behringer of that time), a Roland tape delay, a mutrun biphase and a few dynamic mics. That studio is the legendaric Black Ark of Lee Perry ...

and most important, get good monitoring and a good acoustics in your studio first, that is most important, more important than all the gear and often forgotten. If you want advice on a commercial monitor, i would say Neumann KH150's (but that is my personal taste maybe and they are not cheap).

This is more aimed at the riots of "Les Gillets Jaunes" (the yellow jackets) in Belgium and France a few years ago (and now again in France) where low paid workers revolted against the neoliberal goverments in Belgium and France that tries to cut back socal and workers rights. Those clashes with the security troops (police in Belgium and police and army in France) were rather violent. Original Uman is a Belgian Brussels based artist and an OG and a pioneer in the Belgian hiphop and reggae scene, as former member of De Pudra Madre (Belgian 90's gangsta rap) and Bass Culture (Belgian reggae/dancehall soundsystem). And he is a successfull artist on his own, very popular in the southern French speaking part of Belgium and in France.
Uou may be right about Belgium but a total lie about the Gilet Jaune in France. They did not riot but were brutally attacked by the Gendarmes and CRS. They protested peacefully - the so called anarchists (fascists) Black Blok were the only violent mobs and of course the agent provocatuers/gendarmes out of uniform. You may not have meant to provide disinformation but that is what you did.

The Gilet Jaune in France frightened the French elite, especially the banker Macron because they had no leaders - they led themselves.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Black blocs are not anarchist ( as The Sex Pistols wasn't either): please don't mix up nihilism and anarchism, please.

They use the symbols because it frigten the 'bourgeoisie' but when you talk with them you quikly see there is NOTHING behind the fact they want chaos and take power in place of those who have atm.

Been kicked out of some of this groups when they used to be part of the crowd of style of music i played and because i have some common idea with them ( but i'm not for chaos neither violence: if they are needed to impose a way of thinking people can try anything they wants: it won't work or hold).

Most of them do not know the existence of Godwin or Proudhon, never read anything about the horizontal versus vertical organisation proned by anarchism, they most often don't know this kind of social organisation existed way before 'conceptualised' in occidental society ( Pigmy, Inuits, Santals,...). Uneducated ( in political field other than simplified idea) people most often and from what i've seen remotely controled to serve other ( hidden) means.

Most of this people never tried to see past the 'riotist' movement ( one of the three main school of thoughts, the other two including anarcho syndicalism ( inherited from 1936 Spanish's Social revolition) and 'educational movement' close to te principle of 'gradualism' from Erico Malatesta).

The Gilets Jaune was polymorphic and depending of the area where you lived it didn't had the same face: in my own area it was populism driven with a strange mix of extrem right and left, both movement seeing common target and accepted this mix without issues for either groups.

I don't doubt it was different in other place but i can relate about what i faced.

Symbolic violence ( not so symbolic) had been an issue in France for a very long time. Revolution wasn't peaceful, in the 60's some murdering commited by policemen under order of an ex-nazi collaborator being astonishingly a 'prefet de Paris' ( Papon 'de sinistre memoire') or even during 80's with Malek Ousekin death...

Political power have an issue with demos as they know we could not accept to be slave anymore and how it ended in the past.

Last edited: