reggae music

@Black Stuart I've seen regular gillet jaunes also fighting the police, often between those anarchist (i'm a former one of them btw and was in Paris during some of the riots as observer from a human rights organisation). But it's true that it's mostly provoqued by the security forces, who are unreasonable and very violent in France, and in lesser degree also in Belgium. And the Black Blocks don't exist in europe, the people that are described like that are a mixture of anarchists of all kinds and organisations, streetthugs and just pissed of people who join in. But there is no organisation at all, it's freestyle.

I know how to avoid those provocations altough trough my past experiences with the Belgian and French police, most don't. But saying that the Gillets Jaunes didn't fight, is not true, it was them AND the antifa anarchists of all kind in the frontline. And those anarchist don't necesairly want to fight, they want to be not obstructed by the police and take no ****.

And it's true that the actual neoliberal gouverment (and many of those before) is serving the french elite and don't really care about the ordinary people. They only care about their votes. That's why these kinds of manifestations and riots keep comming back all the time, now again Paris is burning and the smell of teargass is all over the place... In Belgium it's quiet at the moment, but not much is needed to make it explode again here also.

Reactions: 1 user
When i was making (electronic) dub i just used Cubase with a lot of plugins and a old Yamaha keyboard as midi keybaord trough my Steinberg audio interface (midi in). And most dub producer i know use Reason or Ableton Live actually, often mixing fully in the box with a daw controller, or maybe trough an cheap mixing board like a Mackie or so. Most if not all reggae studio's are not that advanced, certainly not back in the time of the classical reggae. And most music still got recorded with very minimal gear today, except some more mainstream artists off course (but they sound too produced to many).

Hardware synth's can be anything, but some classics often used are the Yamaha DX7 (and variations), the infamous Casio MT-40 and the Korg M1. Effect hardware used before digital were Roland Space Echo, a spring verb (often selfmade), and later on BOSS digital delays and Lexicon digital reverbs. And a Mutron BiPhase is also often used. Software are often emulations of those. And a lot of custom stuff (mainly filters and sfx devices) are in use.

But the gear doesn't tell it all. It's how you use and abuse it that makes the difference. Some of the greatest reggae is made in a shack somewhere in the ghetto's in Kingston with a pair of beaten up 4 track 1/4-inch TEAC tapemachines, a stolen prototype of a Soundcraft Series I mixer or a Scully mixer (the behringer of that time), a Roland tape delay, a mutrun biphase and a few dynamic mics. That studio is the legendaric Black Ark of Lee Perry ...
Sorry Wax, I meant more of a live act thing rather than post process. The MX-1 has the ability to sequence a huge range of effects rather than notes. When notes meet the effects set in the sequencer steps, they explode. Also, I am prolly leaning more psydub style rather than King Tubby. I do have console and vintage Yamaha keys

Will be using drums from the JD Xi to play into FL Studio sequencer to record all the drum parts of a track into each channel of FL. This will free up the sequencer on JD Xi for other use live. This means starting the live act with the multitrack drums in DAW as backing track. Selected drum channels can be brought into MX-1 channels, as it's a 18in/18out interface. An example, the rim shot can be brought into the MX-1 to meet with the live playable effects sequencer

krivium - I particularly said that Black Blok were NOT anarchists but fascists.. You may remember all those muslims that were murdered in and around Paris in the 1950s by the Gendarmarie. The whole world saw peaceful gilet jaune, many very old, beaten up by the CRS. In England we had an infamous unit called 'the Special Patrol Group' who beat to death the New Zealand teacher Blair Peach, they would have fitted in perfectly to the Sturmabteilung.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sorry Wax, I meant more of a live act thing rather than post process. The MX-1 has the ability to sequence a huge range of effects rather than notes. When notes meet the effects set in the sequencer steps, they explode. Also, I am prolly leaning more psydub style rather than King Tubby. I do have console and vintage Yamaha keys

Will be using drums from the JD Xi to play into FL Studio sequencer to record all the drum parts of a track into each channel of FL. This will free up the sequencer on JD Xi for other use live. This means starting the live act with the multitrack drums in DAW as backing track. Selected drum channels can be brought into MX-1 channels, as it's a 18in/18out interface. An example, the rim shot can be brought into the MX-1 to meet with the live playable effects sequencer

If you use a computer for live act with multiple in/out and a live keyboard player then Izotope's Stutter-Edit (coupled to dedicated pads or keyboard) could be a nice addition to your set up Randy.

We are straying dangerously into the forbidden subject of politics and I'm not totally innocent but if we want this thread to carry on and not be locked we really should stop right now.
You manifest exactly the reason I abandoned my union. Yes you are right in one way but typify the reason I abandoned the UK for France. It is not a perfect country but here the people are not frightened to take to the streets - real liberty is not about politics - it is a state of mind.

A Reggae song (which is what this thread is all about)

Third World -
said it was 96 degrees in the shade
ten thousand soldiers on parade
taking I and I to meet to meet a big fat boy
sent from overseas
the queen employ
Excellency before you I come
with my representation
You know where I'm coming from
You caught me on the loose,
Fighting to be free
Now you show me a noose
On the cotton tree
Entertainment for you
Martyrdom for me

Some may suffer and some may burn
But I know one day, My people will learn
As sure as the sun shines way up in the sky
Today I stand here a victim, the truth is I will never die.

If you use a computer for live act with multiple in/out and a live keyboard player then Izotope's Stutter-Edit (coupled to dedicated pads or keyboard) could be a nice addition to your set up Randy.
Do you delve into the creative side too? Not many on here seem to. Thanks for the suggestion. I think that may already be included in Serato DJ as they use Izotope FX and things, but will see. Lol, plenty of spare pads to set it up on :) . I do have Roland's hardware scatter and slicer on the MX-1 mixer and Slicer on the DJ-202

Scratching for the slice effect back in high school studio in 1992 with the stopper, the new gear almost seems like cheating

Reactions: 1 users
Do you delve into the creative side too? Not many on here seem to. Thanks for the suggestion. I think that may already be included in Serato DJ as they use Izotope FX and things, but will see. Lol, plenty of spare pads to set it up on :) . I do have Roland's hardware scatter and slicer on the MX-1 mixer and Slicer on the DJ-202

Scratching for the slice effect back in high school studio in 1992 with the stopper, the new gear almost seems like cheating

I'm an oldskool dancehall/reggae selector/operator (semi reitired) and was very active like that between 1997 and 2010, and we did such thing just with a 1200 and a dj mixer live on sound... Just like the turbo jugling (= very fast mixing tunes) with 7" vinyl singles, without cue points or automix stuff on our wheels of steel. Now with serato and a controller even a child can do our tricks...

Reactions: 1 users

Awesome live set from Cutty. Got to love Cutty, everything, including Dame Tu Cosita. In around 1993 or so, he made a Christmas special about Santa better watch out the rude bwoys. Anyone has this?

I don't know about you guys, but I just zoned back to the early 90s. Damn, that was getting to the end of some great stuff

Last edited:
Did you run a "sound system"? I picked up a pair of the FFA001V3 amp modules in the Hi/Lo version to build a small parties system. I want to do something very different, though. Totally over carrying big systems, this time around something very compact. Prolly using pro car audio drivers
We had a small setup for bars, but at that time in Belgium it was not the habbit to have our own stack, certainly not in dancehall and jamaican reggae crews. But i worked for a rental company and we had a fixed setup from them for our own gigs, and that was a 16kW setup.

Now i'm building a small garden soundsystem with a friend, 12" woofer and 2" compression driver in a "weight & treble" setup like they call it, total stack wil be 800w powered by crown amps. I'm semi retired as soundboy so i only do gigs i like to do (and those are mostlt small). I can't carry big rigs anymore, my back has killed my carreer as sound engineer a long time ago, so that system will be on casters btw, i don't carry big boxes neighter anymore.