Reflektor-D builds

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
MOSFETs look to be isolated. I also tried it without a heatsink to be sure there was no connectivity and still got the sound. When I use the full-sized reflektor with dc flexy connected to the DAC, one reflektor mini connected to cronus and one for AVCC the noise is NOT present. The DAC is getting sufficient current with any of the boards. When I swap either reflektor mini in to feed the DAC, the noise returns.

There is no audible impact on the music signal. I've attached a recording of sound - the DAC is off first, I switch it on and then touch the heatsink a few times which modulates the noise. It sounds like a high-frequency noise, similar to when a radio is searching for channels.

Sounds like a resonance. Probably due to oscillation. Or due to insufficient mechanical damping for a part that handles some ripple or some other large waveform. The full sized one is much heavier.
Since you have no oscilloscope now, see first about fixing it and damping it better somehow. To check if it will make any difference.

Thanks. What would the first steps be to try damping it? Others seem to have used the reflektor minis without issue in the same application. What do you think about the fact that the noise is not present when the DAC supply is connected but the cronus reclocker supply isn't powered? These modules are connected via i2s lines and the master clock.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't have any previous report for something alike so my guess is as good as yours. No your guess is better than mine because its something in a setup of blocks you can touch and swap. Without measurement data I can't put my finger on it easily from here.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
About damping it use Blu Tack, try different fixing tension for the Mosfets and the board mounting. Also change the length and type of DC in DC out wires to see if something changes. If you put your fingernail on its various components can you feel which one resonates? What about the diodes on the Flexy? Are they silent?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Has been described by users in detail before. If I try in very few words the resistor is more "tubey" subjectively vs the more "accurate" JFET effect for R6. Because activating the R6 position with a JFET CCS brings much more open loop gain to the reg.

Its all about giving you guys more ways for customizing your application's sound with alternative synergy. Higher OLG is the go to scenario for most engineers since stable, but in this case the resistor also brings a more extended in frequency flat curve portion for Zout although higher in mΩ as a whole. Both options are designed to work stable in this reg, having their effect, you choose.

UBiB for clocks not sure, does not go as low as Ref-D in Vout adjustment also, compare.

I've narrowed the culprit down to running the DAC in sync mode and the extra u.fl connection between the cronus (I also get the noise with a Sonore Audiobyte usb to i2s source) and the DAC. When I remove the cable the noise goes away. Oddly, when I power the DAC with a full-sized reflektor D (also using external DC flexy board) the noise goes away.

I am okay powering the DAC with either an ultrabib or full-sized reflektor but the issue in interesting.

About damping it use Blu Tack, try different fixing tension for the Mosfets and the board mounting. Also change the length and type of DC in DC out wires to see if something changes. If you put your fingernail on its various components can you feel which one resonates? What about the diodes on the Flexy? Are they silent?

Joined 2018
Paid Member
My boards arrived after a scary delay at Heathrow Airport customs.....arrived safe and sound and no tax to pay!

Started the build...aiming for 3v3 and 200 to 250ma for 2 stages of ES9038Q2M dac that consume maybe 150ma.. R1 yet to finalise.
So far have PRP metal films, LQA16T300 diodes, King right leds, Nicholson KZ C2, big Nichicon 20kuf in C1.

Enjoying the build. Always nice boards to solder the Salas/ Tea stuff!

Will 40mm tall sinks suffice.?
Will R62 for RR be OK with idss 5.9?

Thank you

Attachments

• 20200704_161902.jpg
    20200704_161902.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 20200704_161921.jpg
    20200704_161921.jpg
    717.9 KB · Views: 220