• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

+1. Also the ability to configure a max volume limit (I.e. deliberately set an artificial ceiling). I remember several others asking for this not too far back in this thread.

While I understand the desire for several of the firmware features most of those 'features' are easily implemented if a uC is used to control the 1021.

One issue, though, is the auto-select of active input - the 1021 boots so quickly that it outputs audio before a uC 'gets control'. Meaning that, if you have different sources connected and one of those is active on booting up the 1021, then that source is briefly output before the uC sets the desired input. A minor inconvenience and I suppose you could add more circuitry to mute the output until the uC gets up to speed but my wish list would be a firmware option to set the input (like you can the volume) on boot-up; thereby disabling the auto-select of any active source and that 'unprofessional' quick burst of audio.

Are you sure you haven't applied too high voltage at some point ? That's kinda the only thing that could cause both damages, as the 3.3V reg get its power before that broken resistor....

But those 1117's are tough parts, might just be shorted, check your 3.3V wiring.

Don't think I have (this is my 6th or 7th 1021 build) but not sure of past history. Building it for a friend.

There's no 3V3 wiring as such - just power connected. I'll get back to it in a few hours remove the 1117 and check for a short between output and ground. If it is shorted I guess that's bad news??

Last edited:
Seems as if more vendors are using the DAM. Earlier it was the lessloss dac.
This time the LampizatOr Atlantic dac (Starting at 4000 euros)
DAC ATLANTIC

3.jpg

Can clearly see the 1021 module to the left there.

The extemely subjective and biased 6moons :)

Saw it too, funny how they was extremely biased towards DSD. Even more funny as they seems to totally misunderstand how DSD was processed in the Atlantic, afaik, in the unit they had for testing it was the dam1021 that did the whole DSD processing.... There are a couple of better reviews of the Atlantic, just google it.

Saw it too, funny how they was extremely biased towards DSD. Even more funny as they seems to totally misunderstand how DSD was processed in the Atlantic, afaik, in the unit they had for testing it was the dam1021 that did the whole DSD processing.... There are a couple of better reviews of the Atlantic, just google it.

in the pics looks like dam1021 dac only?
only i2s and gnd connected on amanero
hard to understand how the 1021 could do dsd better than pcm?

maybe down to the source tracks, ive heard dsd better pcm tracks and visa versa

Really like the manual.
http://lampizator.eu/Manuals/Atlantic/Atlantic.pdf

Some words:
LampizatOr DAC should not be used with opamp based preamp, no matter how good.
Because the op-amp feedback loops will remove the whole joy of music as delivered by
the tubed DAC.

Please use a decent AC cable. We suggest spending around 100-200 Euro for a good
AC cable, not more but not much less. The free AC “computer grade” cables are not
good enough for serious audio.
Please use a decent digital interconnect. In our DAC it is completely unimportant what
is the wave characteristic impedance of the cable (the famous 75 Ohms). Just use the
cable that sounds good to you. Analog as well as digital interconnects can be tried.
Best results are obtained with silver cables. Let your ears decide, not specs of the
cable.
Lampizators produces all types of cables for audio systems - you can order them from
us with confidence of tremendous value for money. To beat our cables you need to
spend 2000 Euro per one.

Any one compares Soekris R2R single ended vs balanced (two boards)? Any improvement with balanced other than the voltage gain? Thanks.

My first build was with 2 boards, but after a week i switched back to a single board. In balanced mode im getting nervous and the musicflow was not like the single board. The bass was to much and not precise.
I think the problem is the 2 Clocks that are not in sync and generating jitter.
The dac have pins for master-slave mode, but it didn´t work...

Single ended is hard to beat in any application unless you really need balanced.

I have never understood the balanced mania for "music in the home". But then I am a minimalist when it comes to audio components. The less there is the less to go wrong and I have rarely heard a complicated component design that sounded better than a simple one and even then it is usually just one part of the spectrum it gets really right and the rest suffers. The simple design will have more distortion but the distortion is spread evenly across the bandwidth and is easier for the ear/brain to correct.

Hi, thanks a lot koala and Rick. I was originally thinking about more gain @ the same output impedence. But after re-calculation, I found that the voltage swing should be enough for my amplification stages. Thus the question since I was not sure if there would be any other advantages. Thanks again. :)