Recommendations for a really good CD to replace the B&C DE250?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. its the BRH90 - they came in medium (1.4) , large (2") format and these which seem to be the rare odd one out of the bunch. It's a big horn for a small format. The 2" is usable to 400-500 HZ and are a step up from the JBL radials. Nice smouth throat and non resonant. I'd like to hve the BRH60 2" - hard to find. 60 degree radiation works better for me. The BRH90 2" is about the same size as these 32" wide, shorter 10" tall and around 24" deep.

As far as radial horns go these are some big ones and they sound very big - never could get them where the treble was right so I use them in three way - community m200, Gauss 4000 and jbl 2440 all sound good but my fav is the Selenium 405 ti :) used up to 3k.that's the other titanium driver that i likel to listen through lol - surely there are more. 18 Sound makes some nice looking ti drivers (says my imagination)

Sometimes the DE250 comes across a little harsh, especially with female vocals..

I haven't used a single compression driver, but I have tweaked crossovers. Even very minor changes can shift the overall tone from harsh to pleasant or vice versa. It takes a lot of doing to actually get the crossovers to work properly. This remark is just to serve as a reminder that it might not be about a bad driver but about a crossover design that wasn't there yet. :)

Found via Google....

The path does narrow after the throat.

Attachments

• BRH90.png
    BRH90.png
    522.3 KB · Views: 573
I've got SFW's slightly smaller version of Community's BRH rotting outside my house - too much stuff-- must be 28" from mouth rim center to throat plate - maybe a 2" version in a shed. The SFW with a modest Altec driver had great vocals in one of my old quick lashups with the Karlson - better than my Edgarhorn cone driven tracrix. K-tubes are great if the crossover is high enough.

Huh, I've been thinking that was just RH90 for years, thanks for the advert.

Have a pair of the 1" version in an attic somewhere. Threaded when new, been converted to bolt-on, badly.

After converting several of the 6.5X12 eWave horns to bolt-on, I now know how to do it right. (It involves an aluminum bolt-to-thread adapter, a lathe, and epoxy.)

I was thinking about putting threads back on and have saved the brass bits from the Pyle PH612 with that in mind. I was planning on putting Selinium D2500Ti's on them, but may now rethink that. Just got a PRV-D290Py, and a pair of DNA-350's to play with. Oh and SEOS 10's and an H290B, plus some PRV clone of the QSC (on closeout at PE).

... K-tubes are great if the crossover is high enough.

Personally, I've gone back to the way I first heard a Karlson with my K-12's. Full range driver. Period.

I tried a horn, I tried eWave on top, and underneath, and even as a coax with the 6X6 wave guide on the protection screen. Never jelled, always sounded like two separate sources. (Aside from the coax, which had other problems, mainly treble hashed about inside the wings.)

Just never sounded as good as that first one, with a JBL D130 all by itself. now I adapted a pair of SEAS 10"ers into them and they sound great, good (enough) bass and good treble, as far as it goes. Jelled!

The path is 'clean', but it does narrow after the throat, which will diffract more than something that continually expands, like with waveguides. Well, any change in wall shape actually diffracts (so, all horns diffract to some extent at least), but narrowing is usually done so that the diffraction will widen the radiation pattern (narrows the aperture) at highest frequencies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.