quasar amplifier by dr bora 1000 watt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sir Boraomega,

It was a power supply problem where my friend Edwin here had plugged the transformer to a 100 vac source instead of the 220 vac. With that condition the power amp is low voltage and perform poor with 1000 watt 8ohm load. With the right power source it drives the load strong and clear. Thank you for the brilliant design you shared to us.

Engel,

I used the original IRFP240 specified by Sir Boraomega and had no chance of locating the IRFP460s. My friend Edwin now is also building one for him, he is not yet registered in the forum. Thanks

Joselito

Because of higher internal capacitances. Several people (not all!) got serious problems when using IRFP250, 260, 460 and other types.

Sorry DR Bora I got confused mind to explain

Attachments

• Capacitan MOSFET.png
    Capacitan MOSFET.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 417
hi boraomega thank u for the reply,
pls can u tell me how to adjust the bias?
in my experience -adjusting bias with in positive rail 10 ohm 1watt resistor instead fuse,
for one pair 250mv across reading in 10 ohm resistor, 25ma/pair,
so 8 pair x250mv=2vdc. is this correct?

is this layout is correct?

Attachments

• QUASOR-layout.gif
    QUASOR-layout.gif
    128.4 KB · Views: 357
Do not forget that entire amp - all stages - are connected to main supply and if you measure total current in a rail it will contain currents of drivers and pre-stages as well. Therefore, you should add at least about 60-80mA to nominal 200mA of output devices bias. Also check that you have about 5-6mV (+-20%) across each of 0,22ohms source resistors. It won't hurt or have negative influence on amp if you set higher bias per pair (not more than 50mA/pair)... just quiescent dissipation (and heating) will be slightly higher.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.