QuantAsylum QA400 and QA401

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Jan-
I think one of Viktor's oscillator plus the Boonton (with the QA400 on the monitor out of the Boonton) would get you where you want to be. I have a mod for the Boonton that allows monitoring the input simultaneously with the distortion. Its pretty simple to implement.

Perhaps you can share what you are trying to do?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yeah I ordered one of Victor's boards. What I am trying to measure is changes in THD when some circuit parameters are changed on the fly - I'd rather not go into details yet. ;)
I want to catch the changes at the moment of change on the analog residual output, and the FFT picture before-and-after.

I have the Boonton 1130 schematics, I guess you take the input buffered & ranged signal to a BNC output?

Jan

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah I ordered one of Victor's boards. What I am trying to measure is changes in THD when some circuit parameters are changed on the fly - I'd rather not go into details yet. ;)
I want to catch the changes at the moment of change on the analog residual output, and the FFT picture before-and-after.

Not easy. First the FFT depends on measuring over time and during which the change you are looking for will change.

Second is separating the DUT changes from all the external instrumented changes that could be happening simultaneously.

I have the Boonton 1130 schematics, I guess you take the input buffered & ranged signal to a BNC output?
Jan

Exactly. Use an isolated BNC and grab the signal from the motherboard. I use an isolation resistor to prevent artifacts from the loading. Its autoranging which is great for a scope monitor.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
AK4414 Distortion

Just for comparison here is an AK4414 (from their demo board) distortion spectrum. The reference (top line) is -90 dB. The level is -6 dBFS. The marker is at 3 KHz a level of -124 dB. The second is about -108 dB. The noise issue with the QA400 is not present here so I'm not sure what is going on. There is no noise issue looking at the residual from the distortion analyzer on a conventional scope.

Next step is to look at its transient behavior. I need toi fix the board first. Something is wrong with the 3.3V supply and the pass transistor heats up a lot.

Attachments

• AK4114 distortion.jpg
    AK4114 distortion.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 383
Just for comparison here is an AK4414 (from their demo board) distortion spectrum. The reference (top line) is -90 dB. The level is -6 dBFS. The marker is at 3 KHz a level of -124 dB. The second is about -108 dB. The noise issue with the QA400 is not present here so I'm not sure what is going on. There is no noise issue looking at the residual from the distortion analyzer on a conventional scope.

Next step is to look at its transient behavior. I need toi fix the board first. Something is wrong with the 3.3V supply and the pass transistor heats up a lot.

Which analyzer did you use here?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I used the Shibasoku. I wanted to get as good resolution as I could. On the Boonton I get 90+ dB THD+N with a 30 KHz band.

I'm still lost as to the noise in the QA400. Also the claims floating around that delta sigma is inherently much nosier than a ladder dac. I just don't see that normally. I was hoping I might see something here. There is noise above 220 KHz but that is easy to get rid of, and also present on ladder dacs.

I used the Shibasoku. I wanted to get as good resolution as I could. On the Boonton I get 90+ dB THD+N with a 30 KHz band.

I'm still lost as to the noise in the QA400. Also the claims floating around that delta sigma is inherently much nosier than a ladder dac. I just don't see that normally. I was hoping I might see something here. There is noise above 220 KHz but that is easy to get rid of, and also present on ladder dacs.

They are inherently more noisy but much is done to lower that noise or at least to move it to out of band so filtering is easier. Latter dacs have glitch to deal with but this can be managed with a sample and hold on the output of the dac. It gets quite costly.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have read that as well but don't see it in practice, unless the QA400 is what they are talking about. In the AK4114 the noise is really quite low in-band.

Sample and hold's are quite glitchy as well and need low pass filters. Now that DSD is the new darling of audiophilia the noise issue becomes more real since that by definition needs noise shaping to work.

I need to get back to the interface board, much more relevant that this discussion for now.

I have read that as well but don't see it in practice, unless the QA400 is what they are talking about. In the AK4114 the noise is really quite low in-band.

Sample and hold's are quite glitchy as well and need low pass filters. Now that DSD is the new darling of audiophilia the noise issue becomes more real since that by definition needs noise shaping to work.

I need to get back to the interface board, much more relevant that this discussion for now.

How's that coming along?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Comparison -

Here is a comparison between Audio-Precision 2722 and QA400... same oscillator source (from HP-339A); No notch filter in front of QA400 - both are straight into each analyzer with approximately 0.7 v signal level:

339A - AP.jpg
339A-QA400.jpg

The QA400 produces Harmonics beyond the 6th that are not in the source generator, at least not at the levels shown as per reference - AP2722. The 2H-5H seem to show the same relative levels to one-another but at higher levels.....

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Richard:
Can you do the following test?
Generator (Either AP or Shibasoku) into AP (or Shibasoku) with a T. Set the generator for 600 Ohm out. Set level to .7V. Look at the distortion on the loop both without and with the signal connected to the QA400. You should try this on the other instruments you have.

I noticed a significant increase in distortion with some instruments in this test. Level and ranging affect the results. Its possible that the distortion you are seeing on the QA400 is from the input amp on the input side.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Richard:
Can you do the following test?
Generator (Either AP or Shibasoku) into AP (or Shibasoku) with a T. Set the generator for 600 Ohm out. Set level to .7V. Look at the distortion on the loop both without and with the signal connected to the QA400. You should try this on the other instruments you have.

Just to be sure -- would you draw a sketch of the set up you proposed?

Thx-RM