quality of new threads going downhill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A discussion about likes and dislikes on Youtube brought up the question about dislikes. Why are there so many dislikes in threads where you wouldn't have gone there unless you were looking for that specific content
I think in the case of YouTube that many of the dislikes come from people who landed on the video automatically. Or it was a suggested video. You can understand some of them not liking something they didn't actually choose.

There isn't an autoplay function here, although that might be funny!

If you had to get professional advice you would probably have to pay for it.

First find an actual living professional in audio (HiFi audio)!
Been into diy-ing for 28yrs and have met 1 (one) and oh-boy does he charge, but he really really does know his trade ie:
The first time we met he had in the past two and a half days re-wound the coils of an mc phono cart and was about to re-fit the needle, he realised I was slightly sceptical so played the footage (yay for usb microscopes) of the re-wind and got to watch the nail being re-fitted in real time.
I cant remember much about the cartridge other than it was exotic wood, was £4,500 new about 10years ago from this date, so thought it might be a bit rude to ask about the price of repair.
I've never sought an answer as to how much so maybe some one here can give a quote :)

He charged me £20 and 'a loan of' (which ended up being for three weeks and him building his own*) to double check my ACA build, which took him about 10 mins and I got to fire it up / bias / monitor it under his beady eye for about an hour And chat 'HiFi'..... and even the hoary 'cables are / are not directional' and 'the running in of cable' debates.**

He's even browsed diyAudio. com. and in a nut-shell thinks a good place top to bottom.

*My psu is CRC, his is CLCLC, they both entertain.
** Remind you of somewhere?

i have no problem with this...after all this is a pure voluntary forum..

...which is exactly what I said, thank you. Nobody should expect fully cooked recipes for the audio nirvana here. If someone does it, hooorrraaay! but if not, do your homework, collect the shards, ask questions (while crossing you fingers for an competent answer) and try to rebuild the magic mirror. Those that do not agree to this process have little incentive to go beyond the vendor forums, audio magazines or EBay, with all the pros and cons.

It would though probably a good idea to create an Analog Beginners forum with a few very simple classic (RCA, Lin/Blameless) amps with full construction details, including BOMs and Gerbers as sticky threads. As much as probably an Analog Advances forum would be useful, to accommodate some of the highly technical discussion shards from the known ******* contest threads. A forum for people that don't have any interest in designing/building/engineering, but care only about the subjective SQ, including the result of cable, op amp, capacitor, etc... swapping, goop applying, EnABLing, tibetan monk blessing, etc... (anything else being moderated), would also be interesting to watch evolving.

No new ideas above, I guess.

It would though probably a good idea to create an Analog Beginners forum with a few very simple classic (RCA, Lin/Blameless) amps with full construction details, including BOMs and Gerbers as sticky threads. ...

Yay! We have a convert! Let us be merry and join together in celebration*! :D :cheers:

*Within the boundaries of the forum rules ofcourse, and if we celebrate online everyone can be happy their individual personal space will not be disturbed significantly.

...which is exactly what I said, thank you. Nobody should expect fully cooked recipes for the audio nirvana here. If someone does it, hooorrraaay! but if not, do your homework, collect the shards, ask questions (while crossing you fingers for an competent answer) and try to rebuild the magic mirror. Those that do not agree to this process have little incentive to go beyond the vendor forums, audio magazines or EBay, with all the pros and cons.

It would though probably a good idea to create an Analog Beginners forum with a few very simple classic (RCA, Lin/Blameless) amps with full construction details, including BOMs and Gerbers as sticky threads. As much as probably an Analog Advances forum would be useful, to accommodate some of the highly technical discussion shards from the known ******* contest threads. A forum for people that don't have any interest in designing/building/engineering, but care only about the subjective SQ, including the result of cable, op amp, capacitor, etc... swapping, goop applying, EnABLing, tibetan monk blessing, etc... (anything else being moderated), would also be interesting to watch evolving.

No new ideas above, I guess.

being a learner myself, i really appreciate when i get straight answers, i also do not want spoon feeding either, i want to find things on my own also...

i do not want gurus here to respond to me that leaves me thinking of myself as a worthless person...i am very sure a lot of others like me can relate, newbies want to be able to have that feeling of "belonging" here...

and there are a lot of gurus here that posts like that, straight talking and does not leave you feeling worthless....:cool:

this board is the best place on earth that i would rather belong to...

leadbelly said:
I understand the objections some members have with this, they take their content very seriously, perhaps too seriously, and think they bring truth and enlightenment in the content of their posts.

This is just another example of closemindedness. Just as we had discussions on how someone should not be definining DIY audio for others, why should someone define the forum experience for others?
Some posters actually do bring truth and enlightenment. We can argue for ever about which ones they are.

Could someone explain to me how asking for a 'like' button is open-minded, while asking for not a 'like' button is closeminded? The two requests would seem to me to be morally equivalent, so why is only one seeking to define the forum experience for others?

We are all welcome to have opinions and suggestions, does not mean any of it will actually happen.

... I *could* wish for a disco flavored color theme on this forum on new years eve, with some fireworks animations. And a rocket button that fires actual fireworks outside of Jasons house, with a live video feed. Would have to be 20 button clicks from different people to fire it off though...

Joined 2014
Paid Member
It's an odd one. I like the star rating system and stickies and 'favourite threads' parts as they give a good measure of general like and don't think we need much else. OTOH there are a small number of members whose advice is generally wrong. And some of these small number are often the first to post on a question thread. should new people be made aware of this? On balance I think no, but it niggles.

The other thing I wonder is whether, for simple Q&A stuff if the OP should or should not be able to request a thread lock when the answer is given and the issue solved. The odd thread gets sorted in 10 posts then becomes a dumping ground. Again on balance I think no, but niggles. All little niggles really.

Some posters actually do bring truth and enlightenment. We can argue for ever about which ones they are.

Yes, and this is valuable, don't get me wrong, perhaps even the most valuable content on the forum. My point is that the medium can be as important as the message. Why do we recommend books "A Brief History of Time." or watching the Feynman Lectures? The material is just as available in dry textbooks.

Could someone explain to me how asking for a 'like' button is open-minded, while asking for not a 'like' button is closeminded? The two requests would seem to me to be morally equivalent, so why is only one seeking to define the forum experience for others?

Well, since the "like" button is a change from the current status, it would be about open mindedness to change.

Yes, that whole issue of whether to identify guru's so that newbies know who's answer to trust is a difficult issue. Some forums do do it.

Years ago the forum used a simplistic system where it was don't by number of posts. There was a comical issue many years back where a well known audio industry person joined and got the "diyaudio newbie" tag under his avatar and was offended. I can't remember who it was but I found it comical.

I think NOT trying to tag experts is the better compromise, but yes, many of us are frustrated if somebody keeps answering with stuff that is technical nonsense or unfounded. The best protection against propaganda is to rebut it, not censor it.

Status
Not open for further replies.