Push Push Bass design

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You will need an institutional account to access it in final form on Sciencedirect as it’s copyrighted.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0082078496802360

However, a pre-print with poor graphics is available here (original has color images). But the setup Figure of the slot 2D jet with a speaker driver is good since black and white.
IMG_9652.jpeg

Images from a later paper using same setup but by my co-author, came out better in B&W and looks like this (top is OH (hydroxyl radical), middle is CH2O (formyl radical), bottom is processed image showing a derived energy production rate. First column is an earlier time and second column is a later time (milliseconds apart). I’m sure all of this is way off topic, but the 2D rectangular speaker driven double vortex is just like a slot loaded push push woofer aperture.

IMG_9647.jpeg

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As in my earlier post. The situation with a slot loaded bass driver was settled sometime ago.

When Nelson originally started his slot-loaded OB thread specualtion was that output would be increased. It was shown that near field this is the case but once one gets far enuff away there is no increase in output. The slot concentrates the output near the exit, but as it disperses out… measured.

Allen is right X is wrong. The 0,18 mach jet thing does not take into account that far-field is going to be much much further away in that situation.

dave

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thank you, AllenB. That was a fun experiment and I built a speaker excited slot woofer purely for the fluids aspect. Not shown was a water cooling channel used to keep the whole chamber cool enough as it sat next to a flame. I recall the amp was a rack mount Tektronix general purpose signal amplifier for instrumentation (not audio). I didn’t touch a speaker driver or audio for listening again until 2012 when I joined DIYA. Totally forgot all about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users