• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Purifi 1ET400A / Hypex NC500 Input Buffer

Hi all.
I am new to this forum and at Tom's request, I come to present the project that I just finished 2 days ago. These are mono blocks based on Purifi 1ET400A modules and the Neurochrome buffer made by Tom.
I opted for a Hypex SMPS 1200A400 main power supply, and a more complex regulated power supply than the Hypex regulators.
It is composed of :
- 1 THEL Audioworld NT-25HQ-18 for regulated for regulated 2x15VDC
- 1 MPAudio ALD-HPULN PS Dual Rail 2x2,5A for ultra regulated symetrical 12VDC (+/- 12VDC)
All the wiring and connections were chosen based on my past experiences and tests (previous projects or improvements made on commercial devices).

I hope that my first intervention will be received with kindness because I am not used to the forum and I do not necessarily know the rules to be respected :eek: .

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

In addition to the Purifi 1ET400A Input Buffer Thomas also used the SMPS Splitter board I have available.

Tom

So looking at the Neurochrome Buffer and Purifi 1ET400A Amp inside the Ghent NCORE-SE(300W) Stereo Case-Kit (300mm x 315mm) case, the front to back space is tight to the SMPS.

One could place the Buffer inputs inline with the XLR connectors (but space is very tight to SMPS & XLR conn.) or one could offset Buffer inputs(which leaves more space, front to back).

I guess one could go either way, but with an inline connection, the input connections would use a very short wire (too short to even use shielded cable). I am tempted to just place the inputs inline, there is also plenty of empty space then next to the AC input.

(There is a 1.5mm thick copper heat spreader plate under the Buffers and Amplifiers.)

Attachments

• Amp-inputs-lined-up.jpg
    Amp-inputs-lined-up.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 322
  • Amp-input-offset.jpg
    Amp-input-offset.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 329
  • Space-Amp-to-SMPS.jpg
    Space-Amp-to-SMPS.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 326
Thanks, Carl.

For speaker protection, I recommend the Guardian-86: https://neurochrome.com/products/guardian-86
I'm currently almost out of stock, but will have more one of the first few days of next year - or maybe by Dec 30 this year if the stars align correctly.

You could use the Guardian-686 as well. That's basically a stereo version of the '86. https://neurochrome.com/products/guardian-686

Note that the Guardian-86 (and any other speaker protection circuit I'm aware of) does not protect against anything related to clipping of the amplifier. It protects against clicks and pops on start-up and power-down, and it protects in case of a catastrophic amplifier failure where excessive DC voltage is presented on the amp output.

Tom

I had this posted elsewhere, last month.

Finally finished my Purifi Amplifier build.

2-1ET400A Purifi modules
2- Neurochrome Purifi 1ET400A Input Buffers
1- SMPS1200A400 Power Supply
1 - Ghent NCORE-SE(300W) Stereo Case-Kit (300x315)
1- Ghent Power supply splitter cable for SMPS1200A400
1 - 1.5mm thick Cu heat spreader plate (under the Amplifier and buffer) - This was left over material I already had.
1- FILSHU DE-14-F6 IEC320 C14 inlet with switch & fuse holder (using 12A fast blow fuse on my 120VAC mains, but could easily use 8A fast blow).

There is a thin Cu shield between the AC input line & the amplifier modules. There is also a thin Cu shield & Mu Metal shield between the amplifier modules and the power supply. The spacing is not optimum, but the available Ghent case already had the power supply holes drilled.

I used M3x 8mm Alloy Steel Cone Point Hex Socket Set Grub Screws in the bottom of the Purifi and Neurochrome module mounting threads to mark the holes in the Cu mounting plate (with masking tape over the Cu plate). Then used a center punch on the marked hole. This made it easy to locate the holes to be drilled properly. The modules are attached to the Cu plate with M3 flat head screws. There is silicone grease between the Purifi module and Cu plate, in addition to between the Cu plate and the Ghent case.

It sounds good and does not seem to generate much heat (much less heat than my old Adcom GFA5802), but I don't crank up the power very high.

Some initial idle measurement checks and pictures... The DC offset is a little high (4.5mV) in the right channel, but decided it was not worth dealing with.

Attachments

• Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 211
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 205
  • rear-top.jpg
    rear-top.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 273
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 258
  • initial-measure.JPG
    initial-measure.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 262
Hi

I'm looking to build a stereo power amp as detailed by Mello4 above. I've read some reviews on the NAD C296 power amp that uses the same Purifi 1Et400A modules and they say that NAD uses left positive and right negative terminals and therefore cautions against connecting subwoofers with common ground connections.

Does anyone know if that's NAD specific, or if the 1ET400A Purifi modules, Neurochrome Input Buffers, and SMPS1200A400 Power Supply will have the same issues? I assume this isn't an issue as I can't see anyone highlighting it on any 1ET400A builds.