Pumpkin preamp - ordered by Steen , official making thread

Re: Apex Jr TA110-W transformer

Zen Mod said:
why not - if you use two of them , to have twice 40Vac

you can always ask AR2 which one from Apex he use [/B]
Thanks, ZM. PM sent to AR2

zettelsm said:
I am going to use the MM TA110-Ws for my Pumpkin-Shunty AC power supply. Doing a quick hookup to check voltage, two MM TA110-Ws can be hooked up to supply a nominal 40V - 0 - 40V or 48V - 0 - 48V, the latter too much probably for all but the lowest of line voltages -- Japan perhaps @ 100VAC line.

The transformers appear to be good quality E-I core and should have no problem supplying the required current to a stereo pair of preamp-regulators. In typical DIY overkill fashion, I picked up 4 of the TA110-Ws so I can go dual-mono. :cool:

The price is certainly very right!

Steve Z [/B]

Steve,
Thanks. The price surely is right. I was planning on ignoring the 48V taps and use the 40V. Have you tried putting any load on them? Connect a 100W lamp maybe and see how they might perform. I might consider using 4 as well if I have enough space in the cabinet.

Regards,
Dinesh

Re: Re: Apex Jr TA110-W transformer

dviswa said:

Thanks, ZM. PM sent to AR2

Steve,
Thanks. The price surely is right. I was planning on ignoring the 48V taps and use the 40V. Have you tried putting any load on them? Connect a 100W lamp maybe and see how they might perform. I might consider using 4 as well if I have enough space in the cabinet.

Regards,
Dinesh

Hi Dinesh,

I have not checked out the load regulation of the trafos yet, but maybe tomorrow night a work I might have time to do so. Looking at the physical size and with my plan to use two per channel, I figured they would be well within their current capabilities and voltage droop loaded would not be a problem.

I plan on having the transformers and rectifiers in a separate box and bring only DC up to the preamp enclosure.

Steve Z

Re: Re: Re: Apex Jr TA110-W transformer

zettelsm said:
I have not checked out the load regulation of the trafos yet, but maybe tomorrow night a work I might have time to do so.
Please do.
zettelsm said:
I plan on having the transformers and rectifiers in a separate box and bring only DC up to the preamp enclosure.

Wow, 2 Box design huh? Worried about interference or simply no space in the cabinet? The rectifiers are on the Shunty board, just curios, what would you gain, by building a rectifier in the other box?

Re: Apex Jr TA110-W transformer

dviswa said:

Wow, 2 Box design huh? Worried about interference or simply no space in the cabinet? The rectifiers are on the Shunty board, just curios, what would you gain, by building a rectifier in the other box?

I hope to gain additional complexity, expense, ungainliness, and a large measure of overkill. You know, the standard DIY virtues.

:D

Seriously, the two box design will give me more space to play with in each box without being cramped, hopefully avoids some potential problems with noise and hum induced into low level circuits by AC and magnetic fields of the transformers, likewise avoid recifier diode noise. And I happen to have a utility box on hand that will be very serviceable for the power supply and can be hidden away on the floor by the BPT balanced power supply.

I figure a plain 2U or 3U rack mount chassis and enclosure for the preamp can be dressed up with a wood faceplate to match the planned enclosures for the two F4 amps being built now, too.

Steve Z

Re: Pumpkin volume control

zettelsm said:

So Mr. Steen, do I see potentiometers in place of the Twisted Pear stepped volume control and input-output boards?

Would you care to elaborate on the changes and effects on sound, if any? I would like to benefit from your experience and reasons for the changes. . .

Thanks!

Steve Z

Hi Steve. I had the Elma's lying around, and since I am building the Pumpkin into this other wooden box I decided to use hem. I didnt really feel like taking the twisted setup apart;) It took a long time to put it together, anyway. The main effect soundwise is the scratching noise with the Elma's:D. The Twisted attenuator is much better, and I will probably be using the Joshua/Darwin, with a pair of Shunty supplies and the UGS modules that will show up shortly ;)
:)

Re: Re: Pumpkin volume control

steenoe said:

Hi Steve. I had the Elma's lying around, and since I am building the Pumpkin into this other wooden box I decided to use hem. I didnt really feel like taking the twisted setup apart;) It took a long time to put it together, anyway. The main effect soundwise is the scratching noise with the Elma's:D. The Twisted attenuator is much better, and I will probably be using the Joshua/Darwin, with a pair of Shunty supplies and the UGS modules that will show up shortly ;)
:)

Thank you very much for your reply -- I am relieved. I saw the slick Joshua/Darwin implementation you used and ordered enough stuff for a balanced set-up . . . imitation being the most sincere form of flattery. Well, other than money.

Pardon another question -- what are UGS modules? A URL is fine.

Thanks for your time.

Steve Z

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
spavleski said:

Magura - Temperature measured on Shunty Heatsink (midle of it in between the fins) after 2 hours is 50 Degree Celsius. At the same time Pumpkin Heatsink is 53 Degree Celsius.

Too much ?

:xeye:

:rofl:

crazy danske metal boy will tell ya that's too cool ........... knowing his habits of burning mosfets as popcorns in oil bucket ............

hehehe

btw - temp is exactly as prescribed ;)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
due to last several posts , and general attitude of members to my postings here , I decided to leave DiyA ......

as my farewell , I decided to make a present to first one who reply to this post ....... I'll send him bare (sans box) drivers - my RCA LC1B , and two ancient Goodmans compression drivers , as tweet helpers ;

if that ( someone ) is willing , I'll include few VQ caps ;

btw - I'll not pay for shipping .