PRV 5MR450-NDY for FAST/WAW applications

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Measurements of 5MR450NDy-9 in Hypercube

A member asked me if I had impulse response measurements of this driver. I did but lost in a hard drive crash years ago. Anyhow, I repeated the measurments today using the following gear:

UMIK-1 USB mic calibrated by Cross Spectrum Labs, REW software on Win 10 HP Laptop with 32GB RAM and 2TB HD Corei7 CPU, USB Khadas Tone Board DAC running at 48kHz/16bit (REW compatible), BTSB preamp, LSA Warp-1 (TPA3255 amplifier with balanced XLR inputs from BTSB). Vrms measured with Fluke 116 at speaker terminals. SPL level calibrated at 2.00Vrms 1kHz sinewave tone using Dr Meter SPL meter on dBA scale. Measurement made at 2.00Vrms and distance of 0.5m (allows equivalent translation to 2.83Vrms at 1.0m) and avoids ground reflections.

Freq Response:
attachment.php

Impulse Response:
attachment.php

Step Response:
attachment.php

Harmonic Distortion:
attachment.php

Spectrogram:
attachment.php

The FRD file (.asc) is also attached below. Rename to .FRD to use in XO simulator programs.

Attachments

• 5MR450NDY-Freq-Spectrum.jpg
    5MR450NDY-Freq-Spectrum.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 1,279
  • 5MR450NDY-Impulse.jpg
    5MR450NDY-Impulse.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,268
  • 5MR450NDY-Step-Response.jpg
    5MR450NDY-Step-Response.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 5MR450NDY-Harmonic-Distortion.jpg
    5MR450NDY-Harmonic-Distortion.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 1,247
  • 5MR450NDY-Spectrogram.jpg
    5MR450NDY-Spectrogram.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 1,245
  • 5MR450NDY-8-Freq.asc
    1.5 MB · Views: 103
with harsch xo @320Hz, i put additional eQ on 12 16 20kHz gradually 2 4 6dB. it sounds better

with beston rt-002a given 1.5uF filter, it's getting better for the airy impression. previously i used 3.3uF but it was too dominant that jeopardize overall sound

Attachments

• P_20210908_191624_1.jpg
    P_20210908_191624_1.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 272
I removed the faceplate just because of practical option in order to match with the baffle. with faceplate will make it unbalance look

due to high crossover cut, i don't notice any difference with or without faceplate, maybe different story if you cut it lower.

previously I had tried to cut lower around 4-5kHz then i found it was unpleasant. better to cut it higher above 7-8kHz

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I had a request via PM for the CSD of this driver. Not sure if these were made with the correct settings.

CSD (200ms window, 50ms risetime):
attachment.php

Waterfall (100ms window, 100ms risetime):
attachment.php

Waterfall (200ms window, 50ms risetime):
attachment.php

Attachments

• 5MR450NDY-CSD.jpg
    5MR450NDY-CSD.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 989
  • 5MR450NDY-Waterfall.jpg
    5MR450NDY-Waterfall.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 970
  • 5MR450NDY-Waterfall-2.jpg
    5MR450NDY-Waterfall-2.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 961
I have been listening to this PRV maybe 1-2years, my other speaker is AudioNirvana classic 8 in BR box. switch them based on my mood. for slow pace music or watching bluray (i dont have any AVR so just stereo), i can say that AN give more intimate experience but i suffer when i switch to high pace genre like rock. there is the strong power of multi way instead of FR

but i'd like to hear your experience compared to other good midrange like maybe satori mw13 which i dont have it to compare

I just ordered two of the 4 ohms for less than half price on restock at PE. Thinking about putting each of them them into a sealed cabinet with two of the GRS 10PT-8 woofers in parallel crossed at the baffle step frequency of 350hz with 2nd order LR. The 10P-8 is supposed to get down to 78 hz in a sealed cabinet, so I think they could be used for vocals as a PA, or crossed to subs if more volume is required. I am SURE I am oversimplifying how to do this. Please punch holes in my plan and show me where it has gone wrong.

I will be using 3/4 ply, and the drivers are 10.15 wide, so recessing the baffle to allow for a metal grill 3/4" and then the 3/4" for the edge, I think minimum width will be about 13.75, and the online calculator says 331.6 hz for that width so my current plan is to LR 2nd order at that frequency. I think I would add the recess distance as well? Thanks for the advice, I will definitely put a separate sub enclosure for the PRV.

Wow, mind burn reading this whole thread! Like others I am waiting on the driver to be available for the 8x8 XSD I am building.
I noticed Dr Edgar Tactrix horn mentioned with a different JBL driver than mine have in the Slimlines I got directly from Bruce as got to know him and considered a friend, very blessed to have that happen!
I forget what model I saw listed, mine have the JBL 104H-2 which where hard to find, found 4 so bought them all so I had spares, still in the same box, stored for many years now. I believe they are a 4" driver, going to look them up as cannot get to them or the Slimlines for some time to come, buried deep in storage.
I sure love the 104H-2 in the tactrix horn with the Fostex super tweeter above them:)

As for the 8x8 XSD I will start out without tweeters, probably bi amped, looking at DSP but do not really like using one, prefer all analog when possible.

Highly likely to build the DIY version of the Warp 1 amp to try as well.

Rick

Hi, This thread needs a wake-up! Well, perhaps to keep this thread going, and to confess that I ordered a pair of the PRV 5MR450-NDY from Parts Express. on the basis of positive reviews for them here... I read the first three and the last three pages of this thread and I was hooked.

What will I do with them? I arrived here (somewhat late) from a search for the <Bruce Edgar Show Horn>, which interests me for frequencies up to 400 Hz or so. My current system has music playing through what I call Front Firing Fidelios (FFFs) with Lowther PM2As with (made by) Bruce Edgar front midrange horns having 4 x 4 inch throats, see attached.

So, my immediate thought is just to remove the PM2As and do what's necessary to replace them with the PRV 5MR450s. and give a listen. ....

What to do for frequencies less than say 400 Hz.? Well, I have a pair of Petite Onkens that should do for a starter try if deemed necessary. But I'm really curious about the Edgar Show Horn...unfortunately there's not much to be found about builder's experiences online. I've considered Karlson X15 and K15 and I have Altec 515-8Gs, but at present no affordable Karlsons are available unless I were to build them...same goes for the Show Horns.

Amplification is Loftin-White 24A/45/James 6123H (5K), Preamp is 5687 WOT from Sound Practices issue #10.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this if you would care to reply...what to do?

Best,

Robert Chambers, Corinth, Vermont, USA

Attachments

• IMG_1288 FFF1-Reduced.jpg
    IMG_1288 FFF1-Reduced.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: 1 user