PRV 5MR450-NDY for FAST/WAW applications

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Probably yes, as I have witnessed it now in several drivers behind a K aperture. There will be a price to pay with some dips and a "W" though. Interesting but makes sense, narrow notches and dips are not as discernible as peaks wide or narrow. Brain fills in missing content. Also, psychoacoustic studies used to determine how many frequency banks hums hearing needs to get "just as good as the real thing" is about 32 (the number of banks or Fourier coefficients used in MP3 compreasion algorithm). Funny how pro grade graphic EQ's have 32 bands. So a frequency dip lying narrower than spacing of two adjacent bands will be inperceptible if missing. Maybe a linear chirp will show something missing but how often do we hear a chirp in music ?

I have an 0.35x sale K15 that might be able to take the PRV.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hey thanks. You mean like this?

RadialPlug1.jpg

Great link by Legis earlier: [URL="http://www.centauriaudio.com.au/diy/plugs.html"]http://www.centauriaudio.com.au/diy/plugs.html[/URL]

I now have access to a 3d printer - will revisit this idea soon.

Maybe a linear chirp will show something missing but how often do we hear a chirp in music ?

Save for chirps that "belong" (bird sound FX), funny you just mentioned MP3 (and similar) music compression tech -- virtually the only annoying chirps I ever hear (infrequent) are the hiccups on a buggy *.mp3 file (my primary sources from, uh, torrents of available free music ) :blush:

Sent from my NV570P using Tapatalk

It was a handy way to use the Neos without the need for large baffle or frame and worked really well Also was a neat way of using my old baffles but chopped (used to have hawthorn duet)
I use Inuke to power the bass drivers
Crossover around 280 (active) Have a bit of bass lift around 200
Sounds fantastic having the PRV in free space just gives so much freedom to the sound
Lots of speed and detail with great scale and very powerful bass
Here a similar design Trans-Fi Audio - OB Speakers

Last edited:
Cool! Why isobaric on an OB? Usually isobaric is used to allow use of a smaller box volume as it cuts Vas in half.

How does it sound and what is XO point?

Isobaric OB is not teh best way, you need here volume, and that is halved.

best what I have seen is big 18 inchers in a dipole, still I do miss the sound of them, I do not now a horn and tapped horn will be better.

X I did thought about a constant directivity horn with bas injection ports? because conical do better with ports.

regards

I heard a few 18" open baffles and to be honest they both lacked a bit of agility in the bass. AE 18" and forget the other models but different rooms/different systems so lots of reasons
What 18" driver did you like
I did try the speakers With one 15" driver on top and the other on the bottom but this works better in my system and my friends system
It is not pretty though

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Last edited:
This didn't put my mind at rest. I can hear the treble peaks, some sibilance in the female voice (first link), exaggerated sparkle on the cymbals (second link) and some brightness on the third link.I will admit that my ears are very sensitive to treble peaks - many people were happy with the Fostex 127E but I wasn't. It sounds clear and lively at first, but over time becomes fatiguing and eventually I can't stand it for even a short time. Unfortunately, this PRV driver is a no-go for me.

I'm listening through an iMac driving a U2 Async DAC into my TGM7 and Audio Nirvana speaker.

My curiosity was roused by the high sensitivity, making it suitable for a low power amp (although most of my amps are fairly powerful I like to tinker with tubes too). It's difficult to find a FAST option with enough sensitivity because the mid-treble driver is usually too small. The PRV seems to be the exception, but it likely isn't a good match to my ears.

I'd consider using PLLXO with bi-amps if there were a really good high sensitivity FAST pairing, I suspect that the mid-treble will need a horn to get the sensitivity and I've not yet taken the leap to horn speakers.

Last edited:
For

a) "high sensitivity, making it suitable for a low power (tube) amp"
b) avoiding "ear bleeding" treble

...if you were going to consider wide band units (300Hz - 6kHz or thereabouts), the Audax PR170M0 might be another option to look at. Slightly more efficient, and apparently a bit smoother than the PRV. The higher impedance could be a good thing with tube amps. Used in jillions of systems.

The only drawback I see is the 2cm increase in radius.

Attachments

• compare.png
    compare.png
    257.7 KB · Views: 330