Protection cap for my precious new compression drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But don't do the detecting off the main rails!;)

Fit your own, separate pair of rectifiers from any power transformer secondary; a small enough capacitor and shunt resistor, that it substantially discharges within 2 or 3 power-line cycles. Use that to turn-on the transistor that controls the relay; the power for the relay can come from anywhere that's convenient and sufficient -- main rail or other.

That technique is usually fast enough. Confirm with your own testing, however.

Cheers

zeagan, Sorry to hear about your Bryston 4B thump. Neither of the ones I have, have ever had that problem, but they are pretty old - 1978-ish. After several years of 6-night, 50-weeks/year service, one of them does have a charming little chirp, just one, about 8 or 10 seconds after power-off. Sounds a little like an Original Star Trek sound effect. But no diaphragm shredding.

Regards

A couple of weeks ago I go a good deal on some 18Sound ND4015be 1.5" throat 4" Beryllium diaphragm compression drivers and now have them installed in some JBL 2384 horns driven by Aleph J in a Bi-Amp active setup. Beautiful sound! BUT, Aleph J has a noticeable switch off thump and although I have a mute switch on the amp when I power it down I am concerned that a power outage or an error could send this thump to my Be diaphragms :eek:
So I guess a protection capacitor is needed? Crossover is 630Hz so if I go an octave below that I'm going to need quite a large capacitor!
Any suggestions as to a good cap for this job? They sound so good I don't really want a capacitor in the signal path to affect anything :D

Very nice! I use a JBL 2453h-SL on my JBL 2384 waveguides driven by ACA's which also have the turn off thump. I also use steep slope digital XO's (software DSP) in a triamp scenario.

I used a chart like this: https://www.markertek.com/attachments/ATS004711.pdf to determine the value of the protection cap. Best practice is to select a capacitor that is active at approximately one octave below the crossover frequency, assuring minimal acoustic interference with crossover region performance while maintaining a good degree of protection.

In my case, the crossover frequency is 630 Hz so the cap would “kick in” at around 300 Hz and below. My JBL 2453H-SL large format compression drivers are 8Ω. So looking at the chart, we see a value of 66μF to 80μF for 300 Hz to 250 Hz range. Since I could not find a 66μF cap at the time, I went with these high speed, 82μF Solen caps: PB8200 - Solen Electronique Inc.

Very happy with the result with no impact on the SQ that I can hear. A quick listening test I used was to have one side using the protection cap and the other side not. I can't hear (or measure) a difference. So the protection caps stays in.

Good luck and would love to hear more about the sound of those 18Sound Beryllium CD's!

I thought we used active filters because:

- they're more efficient - less amp power wasted
- higher order filters are practical
- you can change a crossover frequency at the gig(!), 5 minutes before the 1st tune if necessary - very flexible
- time alignment is practical (DSP crossover or digital amp) - can't with passive

Sorry seanny, but I've never given a moment's thought to 'maximum control of the transducers'.;)

Also eagerly awaiting the reports/impressions on the 18Sound Be CD's.

Cheers

Thanks Mitchba, I was looking at caps around 80uF as the impedance is back to around 8Ohms by 250Hz but they get quite expensive! I think I'm going to revisit the amp/speaker protection as the source of the problem rather than trying to 'fix' it further down the line and find a solution that way. TBH I don't have a problem with using my mute button on the amp it's only that this doesn't prevent accidents or help in the event of a power failure.

As for the 18Sound comps, I should be sorting the amp issue or taking more measurements but I can't stop listening to them! Incredible amounts of resolving power, well recorded vocals sound uncannily real but with none of the harshness that I find uncomfortable with most of the Ti diaphragms I have heard. My room is quite small and I was afraid that these large horns would be too much but they work beautifully.

Capture.JPG

Frequency response using just two bands of EQ. This was with a 775Hz crossover but I am now down at 630Hz. I don't have a raw measurement saved but It looks very much like this except it drops off above 10Khz

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Normally the impedance peak is cut using a RLC filter. (It could also be done digitally.)

The driver doesn't change when the source impedance increases. The load and source impedance interaction does. That requires attention so you restore Voltage drive. This is not the same as some quality going out the window.
AllenB,

what is your listening experience about passive vs active please ? At iso correction, can ears make a difference ?

My opinion which is not related to experience-I don't know- is the active is more costly than good enough cheap mkp coils and resistors ? -cause good active devices with good noise floor level are a little more expensive than the cheapest-
The protection cap is arming not too much anyway because the electronic delay than DSP introduce for time correction is damping much more ? = don't be worry with a big caps it's arming less than we think vs the DSP circuitry?

Some says they don't hear the difference, some says they hear, some are did the exact response-matching, some are didn't.
Even if someone did the exact frequency/phase/timing response-matching, the impedance would not easy to match.

I did a fr/ph/ti response-matching before and heard a difference if a cap was in the signal path or not. That's my experience. The cap(s) didn't stayed, even an expensive one needed to leave.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
DIY, I have time to do it the same. It takes me a few years to do a crossover. Normally by then I have a new acoustic design and begin from scratch.

I also tri-amp using the same amps for either passive or active. When done properly, both are right by my ears.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
They both take about the same time. Active saves me a few minutes each time I make changes plus a few minutes more of simming. The rest of the work Is needed for either kind.

Usually I have a combination of line level passive/ analogue active built into the amps themselves, and some global EQ. The active filters I do with software.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.