Presenting the Trynergy - a full range tractrix synergy.

Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I wanted to show my appreciation and respect to XRK as the designer of the Trynergy.

I knocked up a pair in foam core a few months ago and they sounded so good that I immediately started a build in ply. They are now complete (after a fashion, my woodworking skills are not great).

They sound incredible already, with a lot of work still to go on dsp and amplification (I don't yet have measuring equipment).

The amateur look and lack of data prevents me posting a full build thread, but I wanted to say how much I appreciate the hard work that went into the design. They are truly great speakers, thankyou for sharing. Also thanks to others from here (Kees, Patrick Bateman, Bwaslo and many others) who helped inspire me on my own journey, or simply provided incredible expertise, experience, interesting arguments, questions, theories and ideas along the way.

This place (DIYaudio) has provided inspiration and no little wonder to me over the course of a personally and professionally challenging few months, and for that I thank you all. Sharing freely gets to the core of what it means to me to be a human; progress only comes from standing on the shoulders of giants (I'm at about ankle height tbf). The rabbithole is deeper than I imagined and I'm far enough in to know how little I truly understand. I am ashamed at how little i can contribute in return - maybe in 20 years ;-)

Here are some pics and a short vid, if I've managed to successfully attach them.

View attachment Adele short sd.mp4

trynergy front.jpg

All the best, jonsnotmad

Attachments

• trynergy wood build.jpg
    trynergy wood build.jpg
    816.3 KB · Views: 558
  • 20180905_121722.jpg
    20180905_121722.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 545
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Jonsnotmad,
Thanks for giving this speaker a try! It is one of the best speakers I have ever heard actually. It has been such a long time since I last looked at this thread that I did not realize that the moderators had moved it from the Fullrange forum over to Multi-way. It really is a FAST design and I thought FAST was Fullrange forum. In any event, glad you found it and decided to give it a go. I applaud you on your determination because it is not an easy speaker to make.
Thanks for sharing.
X

:cheers:

Thanks, XRK.

I realised there's no photo of the almost finished speakers:

20190202_131239.jpg

indeed, making them was far beyond my woodworking skills when I started - much actual blood, sweat and tears included in the finished speaker.

The interesting spiky finish on the left is where I used rather too much expanding foam to reduce resonance in the bendy plywood horn walls. It worked well, but i've only done one so far.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Good idea to use expanding foam. The orange color looks great, btw.

What drivers are you using? Also, are you using miniDSP to actively control the crossover filters?

Be careful with sound levels. These are so clean sounding you don’t realize how loud they are until after a few sweeps your ears are ringing like you went to a live concert and stood in the front rows. I wear earplugs when testing horns now.

As I recall, the sims predicted 40um of cone movement for 100dB at 1m. That’s why the distortion is so low.

This is using the TC9's and the buyout woofers. I'm knocking up some more 'lounge friendly' speakers at the moment so contemplating the faital fe22s so i can compare, either will work fine in the new speakers.

I'm running mini DSP, but just working with your suggestions from the original thread at the moment regards crossover until i manage to get a measurement mic. I was struggling getting enough out of the woofers using 2 tpa 3116 boards so i got an old technics amp for 20 quid off ebay and that's working a lot better.

I've spent the day today mounting them in the corners at the ceiling of my listening room but not had a chance to run them yet.

They are ridiculously loud and clean sounding, like a really good soundsystem. Advice noted about the earplugs

yes, so cheap as well. Can be used as a pre-amp, power or intregrated. It also has lots of headroom on the volume compared to the tpa on the tc9s which allows me to adjust the bass even if the dsp is not hooked up to the laptop.

i'm currently deciding which class d modules to use to constuct a more appropriate multi-channel amp for this setup (spiralling down the rabbit hole ;-)).

I got the woofers from parts express - at 40 dollars plus 50 for shipping it was still way less than i found any comparable drivers for in the uk. I got the TC9s here for 12 GBP each including shipping, so driver cost was less than 100 gbp for both speakers even with the USA shipping costs!

for the full range channel, i was looking at that exact icepower or the sure AA 32313

for the woofers, maybe 2 mono irs2092.

I'm vacillating over the choice mainly because i know next to nothing about amplification and vaguely expect to electrocute myself at some point.

I currently have an active pa sub (sealed box) which is taking on the sub-100hz duties but will probably build a new one in due course.

Thanks, XRK.

I realised there's no photo of the almost finished speakers:

View attachment 733819

indeed, making them was far beyond my woodworking skills when I started - much actual blood, sweat and tears included in the finished speaker.

The interesting spiky finish on the left is where I used rather too much expanding foam to reduce resonance in the bendy plywood horn walls. It worked well, but i've only done one so far.

Looks a little like mine, but because of trouble in mine live, just not yet time to start going on, but I am almost ready with these troubles, yes X you now:D and hope I can get peace now.

Looks nice that horn, I did make some clamps and make the horn flare with it by pressing some sheets of 3 mm thick with glue.

regards

Attachments

• DSCN3402.JPG
    DSCN3402.JPG
    312.6 KB · Views: 532
If I were you, I'd use 200ASC for the woofers, too. They are very solid in the bass range, and you don't have to fool with finding and wiring power supplies for them.

i only just realised this and am erring towards icepower for that very reason.

can the board on the 200 asp power additional boards without their own power supplies? i was outbid on a 1000ASP on ebay the other day which can.

Yeah (200ASC), but the amp has to match. The board you'd need to get to do that would like a 200AC. I've never tried that, but I don't see why it wouldn't be good.

Since you're working with horns, you really don't need insane amounts of power unless this is being used for outdoor or very large room PA. Maybe get a single 50ASX2SE board for the HF part of the horns, or a 125ASX2? And the 200ASC (two, or one with a 200AC hanger amp) for the woofers.

Yeah (200ASC), but the amp has to match. The board you'd need to get to do that would like a 200AC. I've never tried that, but I don't see why it wouldn't be good.

Since you're working with horns, you really don't need insane amounts of power unless this is being used for outdoor or very large room PA. Maybe get a single 50ASX2SE board for the HF part of the horns, or a 125ASX2? And the 200ASC (two, or one with a 200AC hanger amp) for the woofers.

i see, thanks for the clarification. I'll give it some more thought

If I were you, I'd use 200ASC for the woofers, too. They are very solid in the bass range, and you don't have to fool with finding and wiring power supplies for them.

8 level class d maybe, high bandwith, even open loop, but now busy with circlotron, do well with autobias, sometimes timeout an some simulation of class D multilevel, super high power, 8 x carrier frequency, s0 200 Khz get,s 1.6 Mhz!! on output, just curious, I think 5 level is best for simpleness.

The trynergy do sound quite good, but I am also curious for the synergy. I look for a compression driver and try a karlson tube who do the highs, that will possibly ease the design and get better output.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2005 Feb. 05 00.54.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2005 Feb. 05 00.54.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 477
Last edited: