Powerful SMPS for tube ampifier

noisy smps

thanks to kodabmx
unfortunetely CLCL doesn't remove noise

but now the 6.3V have disappear

this is a complex smps and I doubt when one is noisy nobody can solve the problem apart the engineer who'd conceived it :confused:
I have a question for 666Andromeda did you mesure the maximum current your smps deliver at B+

are their noisy free?

I thought I may chime in here - Resonant Power Supply Suits Audio Systems | Power Electronics

Apple’s MagSafe uses a resonant tank - not only is it efficient but also it appears to be less noisy for audio.

I’m currently targeting about 350W for the smps for both heaters for tubes but also for a tube based class D/switched output stage straight off the snaps DC line (with active power factor correction). I note that one of the pfc ICs has some focu on reduction of 3rd harmonics and THD: https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/l6563.pdf

The mag safe uses the corresponding ST resonant tank controller which I may look at for the heater power.

Hi, @kodabmx, I not measured the B+ current because 6L&GC not require a lot of current and the listening test was great with my full range Diffusori Liuto 40 [Italiano]

If you need more power my suggestion is to use this one Ad alta potenza cistifellea interruttore di alimentazione KT88 300B tubo elettronico amplificatore di potenza tensione stabilizzata puo essere personalizzato volta|Switch Caps| - AliExpress

For the ones interested, I'm not try to configure a SMSP to build an OTL Circlotron based on 6c33c or 6080, not an easy task... any help is more than welcome!

see post 185

CHUL your amplifier is very well build and wonderfull and I'm glad to know your serie link smps work without noise and I beleive you when you'd said me the sound is improve!!
myself I'd drived during some years heathers of tubes with smps with an improve sound too!!! Andromeda I'd bought the same smps you'd mentioned and it is noisy but the sound was very good with it

if noise wasn't an issue it will be an ideal solution!!! see post 185

CHUL your amplifier is very well build and wonderfull and I'm glad to know your serie link smps work without noise and I beleive you when you'd said me the sound is improve!!
myself I'd drived during some years heathers of tubes with smps with an improve sound too!!! Andromeda I'd bought the same smps you'd mentioned and it is noisy but the sound was very good with it

if noise wasn't an issue it will be an ideal solution!!! see post 185

KRAKO97419 I'm glad to know that somebody knows the difference in sound with SMPS. :)
I'm currently hooked by SMPS, by the weight reduction(no power tranny, choke, rectifier and capacitor..), low cost, and convenience.

Then I built 45PP and 4P1L PP, and now 300B PP is being built..
There is some buzzing physical noise from the transformer(I think) from the SMPS which can be ignored. I can hear this only when I am close to them like 30cm.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
I had bought one from peony Store on Aliexpress and as same as the all voltage are correct the unit emit a noise on loudspeaker not a ground or hiss noise this is as a desk motor noise does someone has an idea of this problem

If you look at the PCB then it says V1.0.

SMPS use square waves and square waves in a transformer makes a lot of mechanical noise. Building a low mechanical noise transformer is an art and requires vacuum impregnation of the windings but that on its own can lead to more interwinding capacitance leading to ringing and instability.

I looked at 250W Tube Amplifier Switching Power Supply Module 300V 0.6A 12.6V 4A 6.3V 4A | eBay but figured out that it is already an old design.

Semiconductors have a habit of rather quickly becoming obsolete whereas "old fashioned" powered tube amplifiers are still running fifty years later.

Cannot see semiconductors being easily available after any length of time and in the end did not persue it further. (Vividly remember a megabuck Yaesu transceiver that used transmitter output transistors that were obsolete after only a few years and the tranceiver became a receiver. There were some very upset people about it.).

The original thread was targeting more higher voltage power supplies. Speciffically for class AB operation of bigger tubes like EL34, KT88 or even 150s. The goal was to design something that could handle at least 300W at 400-500V.

There js no documentation on how to wind or even design properly special topology power supplies.

Noise isn't usually a topology kind of problem. More like a controll circuitry problém. You can make flybacks as noisy as linears or even less (audibly). All lies within the controll circuits how well it's designed. For the highest power achievable I recommend full bridge topologies. Half bridge is an option but to design one and make sure you're not saturating your transformer is much more difficult than building the rest of the circuitry for a full bridge and not needing to worry (for the most part) about the saturation going out of balance.

I have made one last attempt making a 130kHz full bridge SMPS which on paler should be able to do up to 2kW at voltages up to 700V. Pretty impressively dangerous. It would be powered from mains. Problem is I never had the time nor the will power to finish it anymore. It's kind of pointless these days for me as I have given up on my tube amps so they are just collecting dust.

Mostly thanks tk the lack of support from forums or hate coming from purists. So I decided tk just use my headphones instead for the most part. If there is anyone out there who wants to see this last attempt get working well let me know. Or better yet if you are a person qualified in this field then please finally someone help me get the knowledge to get it done right because I just cant sleep right at night because of this now bothering me for more than two years.