Powered PA Speaker for Bass and Guitar at Home

How about this:
1707791410087.png

Doesn't look so bad? They can be pretty small:

1707791512848.png

Also, you might be able to take one shelf out of a distant corner of one of the bookshelves and fit them in there?

Reactions: 1 users
I love these speakers but they are passive, with thick copper wires, a subwoofer, and a 2.1 TPA3116 amp in a "custom box" of sorts - made from the wine box. So they cannot live in the library - they are in my office upstairs, where I manage to hide enough of the wiring to keep everyone happy. :)
OK. I was a bit distracted by those. Same with the Frontman if you really want something that can also play recorded music. Are the microphone inputs of the sound boxes also something you plan use for jamming Karaoke etc?
Cheers!

Randy read the thread. @Crocobar doesnt want a lot of boxes. Also me mentioned numerous times he is not going the Logitech route. He already has far better desktop speakers (Elac) than a Logitech setup. I have Logitech computer speakers myself although surplus They are fine but no match for a pair of Elacs. Now Im going OT sorry.
Cheers!
All good man. A while back, I took all the working bits out of a Z623 and repacked it as an all-in-one cab. I would feel irresponsible not raising that option again, as locally it's only $160 and a few more bucks turns it into an amazing cab. It's only recommendation, maybe a strong one, but one which comes with hands-on experience for the same type of family setup

Reactions: 1 user
I was a bit distracted by those. Same with the Frontman if you really want something that can also play recorded music.
I don't think I need the guitar/bass PA speaker to also play music for listening (I am putting in a pair of small bookshelf speakers unrelated to the guitar setup for that) but we often connect a phone to the mixer to play along tracks - my daughter especially likes that, so I guess that needs to come through in a reasonable manner.

Are the microphone inputs of the sound boxes also something you plan use for jamming Karaoke etc?
Not particularly: we don't really do karaoke, and when I want a mic, I plug it through the mixer.

Great idea to use bookshelf space Mark. Why didnt we all think of that?
Should have controls on front to avoid taking out too many shelves maybe? If bottom shelf could be safely dismounted, that would be best to avoid books and such falling on heads when it gets heated.

Actually I believe something like @Randy Bassinga 's suggestion🫢, could do the trick just fine(or awesomely?) in the bookshelfs. Then only the small sub would need to stand under bottom shelf if they even have to. Clutter free solution.

I wouldnt pay more than 20-30$ second hand for 2.1 computer speakers THX or not. That's because I know used prizes for stuff like that. Computer monitors are mostly so surplus that they are given away on Facebook markedplace or sent to the recycle station.
A split cable from Flamma and bass pedal's output would mean mixer wouldn't need to travel from your office and back. THX is a good guideline for monitors to be plenty loud for practicing up to non eardamaging and neighbordisturbing levels.
In the long run rebuild Frontman with Class D powerstage and 12 inch overpowered professional midrange maybe? I have some you could have had for free if not for postage from Denmark. In that room sturdy middranges would be enough for both guitar and bass at loud volume.
Cheers!

Last edited:
THX is a good guideline for monitors to be plenty loud for practicing up to non eardamaging and neighbordisturbing levels.
How much would a pair of Tangy Madonna bras in the 40wrms class + 7" Wavecor sub + 2x AB chip amp + 140wrms discrete AB on a Class H system cost on its own. I wish I could share the confidential system builder manual from the company that actually makes the internals

Croco
Have you done any design drawings or general arrangement drawings of your proposed cart? Are you open to the idea of having all the speaker drivers fitted into the cart? We can help with this with CAD work and such

I recently got some new gear for my daughter. She did really well with the double bass and electric bass in the last three school years, so I think she deserves a personal studio. She just started year six, and she is in the arts club where they are talking meeting up on weekends to make a movie and some plays. Jiya has been very excited about doing all the background music and such and has been learning GarageBand and Clips and things

I am making a cart for her to be her personal studio. This will mount an ipad, an Akai keyboard and pad controller, a small mixer, a pair of Madonna bras facing her and two pairs facing out. Amps will be TPA3221 boards running of voltage biggerers and a 130amphr battery. The wheels are a pair of 8" hub motors. This whole thing will not be larger than a 15" PA type active speaker

Man, I didn’t think that you would fail that badly to decipher that. Tang Band is a very high quality brand that is a firm favourite with the DIY community. Madonna bra is a little running jest to describe a certain type of full range driver

You are posting on a DIY forum, expect some build recommendations as most folks are on here to either make or mod something

Have you tried asking on gearslutz? Those folks would be more in tune with ready to roll systems such as you propose

From the just tryin' to help dept -

This? I have a similar outboard amplifier. You can use the aux in - OR - connect via BT. It'll play MP3s on a USB / SD card in lieu of BT.

The thing I like about it is it takes +12V in, so you can connect your own battery, I assume after the internal Li-Ion gets flat.

Supposedly decent quality. ~$150 on ePay and I assume most any on line retail outlet is just crawling with these things. Another brand, "Acoustic Audio" is also supposedly decent in quality, made by Goldwood. Roughly same amplifier format, except you get the ubiquitous light show behind the 15" woofer on that one, which I assume you can disable, by either control - or wire cutters.

Do your Amzn "homework" sussing out reviews for this type of product, then pick one people seem to like best. I passed on one at a GW thrift for $69; looked brand new, this week it was gone. They show up at shopgoodwill dot com from time to time and go for a $50 investment, shipping included, which is about what the Gemini AS15-BLU they're selling would cost, if you can get it for ~$25.

Someone living in Delaware could get the Acoustic Audio 1000 for a song, as that particular GW wont ship it... And NO, just because someone donated it Goodwill doesnt mean its broken or utter crap. What throw-away-USA gives away to them is no less than staggering. And that's just in the vintage guitars category; I have 100s of screenshots of "stunners"...I couldnt possibly afford.

U1.png

U3.png

U2.png

@Randy Bassinga Those internals are impressive, extremely well chosen in my always humble humble opinion and incredible value for money at even 150 dollars. @Crocobar can afford it, it will fit almost un-noticed under or on the (ladder-shelves?)
He can choose to place his mixer next to it or leave that in his office whenever he doesn't need microphone inputs.
-I would just find a just a little more humble Logitech? set for free or sub 40 dollars, but your suggestion is a much safer bet since you have already tested it to way above Crocobar's family's needs 👍
Unless build into a cart the portability option to stove it in in a kitchen cuboard while not used or using it for high street concerts will be lost. The whole super modern "Stereo" invention is a plus in my book too.
@Crocobar Making Twisted Sisters outfit is never a hassle. -It's always an even more giving family activity than practising music.
@jjasniew Great finds. Acoustic Audio 's 1000 (SB version) has extra wireless microphone included. -Amazing, but would take luck to find it at Those prizes you are showing and Croco doesnt need mic inputs.
Your finds would tick all the whatsitcallled?
Cheers!

I once had the ION Audio "Block Rocker" which was I assume one of the original products of this genre. Bought it at a yard sale for $5, played around with it some, then put it out still working by the main drag with a FREE sign - I even included an IEC cord. It wasnt...shall we say as up to the task as the more modern incarnations of these boxes.

I imagine the 15" one with the horn would be all you'd need for after-mixer / effects bass, guitar vocals amplification. Roll it out onto the back deck in summer; play till the neighbors call the cops. You're not filling Shea stadium, but I have to believe those (above) would do just that to the neighbors, loudness wise. Turn it down - sounds even better less pushed - battery lasts forever.

The 10" one I suggested above was being sold by "Musician's Friend", so I have to believe these things are in music stores and could be tried out to see - I'm just guessing at their performance actually. One of the guys at the open mic had the Bose S1 - said he bought a pair at $600 each. After I asked him "what's that cube with the blue light you're playin through?" That sounded pretty good - and it ought to.

There's a JBL of this type at the "Treasure Chest" down here in Olympia where they want $90 for it. 12 or 15 and a horn in a plastic enclosure, with an AC powered amp. I passed on that one too; too risky to buy untried, not intended to use battery power. Let's see, the guy at the open mic spends $1200 - I wont spend anything. Hmmmm....guess I'll make do with my Sonos S5 box I gutted - and that outboard amp I gutted the power tranny and put a 12V Li-Ion battery from Amzn in.

Just completed a measurement of the cost to my 6AH battery of running the Behringer mixer powered by an inverter. 1.5A @12V. So if the amp takes another 1.5A on average; heck I dont think I have 2 hours of music performance in me. 3 - 5 songs maybe. I want the compression and the "Klark-Teknic" reverb effects the Behringer provides. The straight delay / echo karaoke style effect in the amp is a little too cheezy -

how bad could it be for under $40?
Well, as long as it works and the drivers are OK, I'd think it'd do a solid job for both bass, vocal, guitar as a post mixer amp / speaker. As I noted above; sky's the limit regarding how much you can invest in that part of your audio chain. Personally, I find the sport of hunting these things down amusing and I usually lurk until fortune smiles - and everyone else makes a mistake by letting it close without bidding.

Everything's made in China, including my Lii Aidio F15s and the Goldwwod 18"s underneath them. It makes sense to me that Goldwood would want to expand beyond just making drivers and compete with the likes of Gemini, and the big US companies like JBL and EV in this space. To do so all they need is a decent product at a competitive price; which they can do - easily.

This has come up for a second time, as some people win these auctions - and then decide they dont want it. 150W; That'd work!

U4.png