Powered PA Speaker for Bass and Guitar at Home

Bass amps were tipically 15 inch I think. Then later when Fussion music became popular, multiple smaller drivers became popular as well. They give plenty of output too so not only fussion players adapteded them. They have more highs so no tweeter horn was nessesary for those who liked piercings sound. Hardcore metal bassplayers like them too for less attenuation of distortion. They often use combined with 18 inch bottom cab.
If you like goood old rock`n roll or pop, single 15 inch is great, AND it will allow a guitar and bass to share the same cabinet.
Cheers!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes: originally "all speakers were the same" : paper thin lightweight cones, small-ish voice coils, small weak alnico magnets (compared to modern ones), stiff paper edge, stiff spiders .... perfect for Guitar, not so much for Bass.
So getting a larger speaker (15") was the only way to get some extra Bass.
Everybody (Fender, Ampeg, Gibson) used the ubiquitous Jensen P15N

Joined 2008
Paid Member
For speaker simulation when using a guitar with distorted tones, an IR loader pedal will bring you to 99.9% of the sound when using (quality) full range monitors. I would also recommend to get what the pros use and shop second hand. I would avoid 15"+1" two ways, I would go for 10-12" with 1". I have owned a pair of RCF ART310A like forever, the drummer is using them as bass drum sampler monitors daily - very reliable and tough, nice sound. From the budget alternatives, the plastic Thomann t.box are a good value for money - as well as Behringer if you skip the cheapest junk.

Reactions: 1 users
Won't the Flamma give 99%? What is an IR-loader? Single classic bass/guitar driver without tweeter and without Flamma would give 100% guitar tone right?
If @Crocobar already has monitors for his computer he can just plug Flamma into them, engage cabinet simulation and jam with his daughter right? T.box is probably a good bet. If it has a microphone input they can sing along too.
My suggestion to get a 15 single driver bass combo will not be good for vocals. If near computer monitors those could be used for that.

@Crocobar If you decide to look for 15 inch bass cab or combo you can search "115" they often have 115 in their model name.
You could even install the amp section of your Frontman in the corner of a bass cab. If you need more power you can find out what is the voltage and current for its poweramps section and change it for a fitting 5 dollar Class D board. Maybe even up it to 10 or 20 dollars 😄
Cheers!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Unless the Flamma is using good internal impulses and IR cab simulation and is only EQ, it is more like 80-90% of tone. I find all EQ based cab stimulator lame. An IR loader will get you really close to a miked amp sound - I cannot tell the difference. In any case, the Flamma cab sim will be a good enough start.

Won't the Flamma give 99%? What is an IR-loader?
Not sure what Flamma uses, but everybody praises them, so they must be doing something right.

Regular cabinet simulators twist and restrict frequency response to approach Guitar speakers driven by tube amp curves.
IMG_20240129_142819.jpg

IRs actually capture the full curve of a real speaker, which is way more complex, tons of tiny peaks and dips here and there, and digitally apply those to your sound.
IMG_20240129_144618.jpg

Notice both curves have roughly same shape, but think analog simulators are Tang "breakfast beverage" or instant Coffee while IRs are just pressed fruit juice or just brewed coffee.

Hey, both are usable and probably same thing in an echoing booming Stadium full of screaming fans 😄
Single classic bass/guitar driver without tweeter and without Flamma would give 100% guitar tone right?
Not really.
A tube guitar amp will add its own at least 5% distortion and that without clipping, drive speaker from a voltage source while tube amps typically are current sources which apply strong extra EQ based on impedance curve, etc.
His SS amp is too clean and polite (read boring) for that.
A good simulator already takes care of that

If @Crocobar already has monitors for his computer he can just plug Flamma into them, engage cabinet simulation and jam with his daughter right?
Only at very low volume.

You must push some air, specially for Bass guitar.

Yes. Getting tubeamp sound from plugging straight into solidstate would be asking alot. I realize that.
I dont know how powerful Crock's Stereo or computer monitors are. -Or how loud they want to Jam.
I see the frontman has aux in so guitar can in input and bass pedal to aux.

-So only a bass cab is needed as long as it won't be used for vocals.

Cheers!

I dont know how powerful Crock's Stereo or computer monitors are. -Or how loud they want to Jam.
I see the frontman has aux in so guitar can in input and bass pedal to aux.

-So only a bass cab is needed as long as it won't be used for vocals.
In case anyone is interested, here is a long thread where I asked and got a lot of advice for our home setup.

You could see that I started with the idea of using our stereo for sound, and was gradually dissuaded from it. @Gnobuddy took a lot of time to explain to me the intricacies of the guitar sound and speaker physics. it is fascinating, I will try to find and post the relevant posts. I still want to experiment with a few ideas that he suggested, like using 12W car light incadescent lightbulbs as speaker protection but that's a separate story.

For cringy kind of fun, you might be interested in my very first thread on these forums, which was on a similar subject - using conventional consumer speakers for guitar audio, which unintentionally got toxic and got locked by the moderators but not before a lot of back and forth. :)

Last edited:
Here, and in a few follow-up posts from @Gnobuddy exaplain a lot of details about using hi-fi speakers for guitar: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/instruments-amp-y4-trio.383281/page-4#post-7418498

Here is another post from him dealing with the physics of the speaker: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/instruments-amp-y4-trio.383281/page-3#post-7324681

Come to think of it, that whole thread is full of very nice explanations from Gnobuddy, which I appreciate as a physisist myself.

Got thru the first long thread. Wow! The amount of info unrelated to your needs is ASTOUNDING! Some of it interesting too😂
Loads of rubbish too and kudos to you for navigating and actually getting a useful result.

SM58 is awful in many ways yes, but pleeenty good for your use. I knew it when my first mic broke and heard there was a new improved model. Bought it and it was only slightly less bad. I still have it and Im curious to see if its actually OK on my new much better preamp. -Interesting.
Its issues will in no way hamper your progress or enjoyment until you are at a completely different place with your music. And then you can always find SOME use for it.

Behringer was always incredible bang for the bucks. -So much that they changed the industry to get their act together, get bought up or go out of buisness.

I started singing in 1988. I never needed a compressor. That wouldn't have been the case of I had been mastering music where some is needed.
Compression kills good music, but that's another story called "The Loudness War"
For sure it has its uses and in your case it can ease the strain on your monitors when you sometimes wants to use them for voice, bass or guitar.

Seems to me this PA speaker idea is barking up the wrong tree. For the budget you have I would suggest to get something like Fender Rumble bass practice amp (a 40W version if you can afford it) to go with your Frontman guitar amp. The thing about playing is it helps hugely if you can get good sounds which inspire you to practice more and play more. A PA speaker isn't the right way to get there. A guitar amp is key to making an electric guitar sound good. Same for a bass practice amp. IME digital simulators/emulators aren't like the real thing when it comes to giving the right feel and right tone to help motivate you to practice. Yes, they can do wonders going direct into the console in a studio, but you don't have a well equipped studio for one thing. For another thing, mostly that going direct thing works best after you already know how to play pretty well, not so much when you are still at an early stage of developing your skills.

Croco, this current setup of yours in use. Did you compile all of these from Gnobuddy's advice? I feel a lot of what you took in came from a lot of conjecture and very lil hands-on experience on the part of the one advising, I have picked up on this in a number of conversations. The desktop monitor + sub that many are suggesting is actually functional, usable and scalable. The Z623 is the most robust and capable of the pc monitor 2.1 class and will not let you down in how it presents the output mix from your Zedfx. Loud and clear and without the risk of damage to speakers

I don't understand the ergonomics issue, care to elaborate? I don't see how an auctioneer type one box PA meets with your previous ergonomic ambitions

. For the budget you have I would suggest to get something like Fender Rumble bass practice amp (a 40W version if you can afford it) to go with your Frontman guitar amp.
Agree that an interesting alternative is to keep the current Guitar Amp for Guitar use only and add a Bass Amp for Bass.
Very straightforward.

"Jack of all trades" solutions exist, but usually are more complicated.

No speaker simulator would be needed, of course 😉

Folks, my use case is as much about keeping the family happy as about the setup quality. In addition, I record a little - just getting a hang of it at the moment, and I want to use the computer plugins occasionally.

All playing happens in the family room/library, which is also the main room in the house, so putting in a lot of stuff there is not a good option: even if there was room, it would drive my wife crazy. You know how cables multiply even with a small number of devices, and my wife meticulously cleans the house every week, and there is no way to make the cables not to annoy her, which is understandable.

And I don't want the kids to go away to play: it is kinda nice to have everyone occasionally play and practice where we live, not in far room behind closed doors.

We also do not have a stereo there. I am planning to put in a pair of decent - small - bookshelf speakers there, and a turntable soon. (At the moment, we just use a large portable bluetooth speaker for music.) I think it'd be silly to use these tiny things for bass.

So, my setup is, rather than starting with two amps, is to plug everything into the mixer, which is also a decent entry-level 4-channel low latency interface, and have a single speaker that can handle some variety. I am also planning to get or build a cart, so the speaker, the effects, and the mixer are all encapsulated in the cart, and only the power cable sticks out.

Attachments

• PXL_20240213_014521357.jpg
    PXL_20240213_014521357.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Randy read the thread. @Crocobar doesnt want a lot of boxes. Also me mentioned numerous times he is not going the Logitech route. He already has far better desktop speakers (Elac) than a Logitech setup. I have Logitech computer speakers myself although surplus They are fine but no match for a pair of Elacs. Now Im going OT sorry.
Cheers!