Power amp OUTPUT STAGE measurements shootout

Well, I said I'd resume work on this in September, and here we are... but unfortunately it'll have to wait due to current events in Europe. I'm going to upgrade the insulation on the house and install an almost-offgrid solar setup.

Soon, for obvious reasons, everyone will want to upgrade the insulation on their house. Fiberglass and rockwool are made with Russian gas (factories are shutting down). Double glazed windows are made with glass, which is melted with Russian gas (factories are shutting down). Everything is shipped with diesel trucks which require AdBlue, which is made with ammonia, which is made with... Russian gas (AdBlue factories are shutting down).

Good thing I had 14 pallets of rockwool delivered two days ago :ROFLMAO:

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Luckily I had a 5 kW (8 kW peak) wood fired burner installed in my house last in February (I ordered it in Oct last year) because we thought gas was going to get out of hand ie the price cap was getting moved up. I used about £80 worth of wood from February to end April and we only used gas to heat the water - nothing for heating since the stove was adequate.

I feel really sorry for folks not in my position - tough few yrs ahead.

Lots of dead ash trees in our area after emerald ash bore beetle devastated the species. We had three alone and one still to come down. Heating with wood is a whole lot of work esp if the temps are sub zero.
We heat with forced air oil since we do not have gas in our area, propane is clean but more expensive. We also heat the water with oil.
When I insulated the new garage loft, I found that it was cheaper to buy bundles of R12 vs R20/22 and double up the R12, that’s stuffing them in a 2x6 studded wall, more work of course. Rockwool is a premium, only necessary if you expect mice to infiltrate.

Last edited:
The rockwool I ordered is for exterior insulation. It's the best for an old stone house: non combustible, vermin resistant, and high water vapor permeability.

I just finished a thermal audit of the rentals, several are getting an upgrade before the winter. If the tenants get ruined by energy bills, who's gonna pay the rent? lol.

If you used mosfet driver, I assume most of the CFP problems go away. This would be because the VAS stage would see much lower change in drive current.
Problems with CFP occur when the power transistor turns off but the driver is still on, and that's still the case... gm doesn't look good.

1663411849132.png

I believe the problem with CFPs is class AB operation in general. Once either transistor turns off, the CFP goes mad.
Yes. It's nice for class A, but the simple push pull without emitter resistors provides a lot more class A for the same bias...

Been away for a bit, daytime job and all that jazz, on page 3 now, but damn PeuFeu, you're not a little bit on fire (un peu de feu) you're literally ablaze (tout flamber) ... really good stuff!
Thanks!
I've got all the parts for the next round of experiments, but I don't have time: I spent the day crawling in the attic installing insulation for the winter...