• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Posted new P-P power amp design

How does Mouser do up your way? I ordered all the parts except transformers and tubes (had those on my shelf) and sockets from them and got the order in 2 days, no backorders. But I'm in the same country.

Say, wasn't NAFTA supposed to make all this go away?!?

NAFTA made the duty, not brokerage go away.

My first (and last) Mouser order was $50 of parts and a $150 bill for FedEx brokerage :mad:

Took them to court for excessive charges and lost... seems in their fine print, when you accept the parcel, you accept whatever charges they so see fit to dump on you.

A few weeks later, a woman got a $600 headboard from Ebay that was sent FedEx and a $3,000 brokerage/clearing bill. Their charges are insane! :cuss:

Last edited:
Hey Pete,

You ever show off your junk locally? I would darn sure drive across town for that.
Sides, I need knobs for Tek scopes and I hear you got quite the awesome collection.

In a box somewhere, I got compactrons and sockets. Been needing an excuse to
dig them out. I'm sure these were big 12 pin TV pentodes of some sort or other...

Last edited:
To everyone annoyed with FedEx.
I have had trouble (stupidly high fees) in the UK. If you can, then specify USPS. As far as my experience goes(20 odd packages US to Uk) with them they beat the Royal Mail hands down. I have had stuff arrive in the UK within a couple of weeks and only had to pay a handling charge of 18 or so quid.
The great thing is you can track any USPS parcel anywhere in the world. I dunno about FedEx and I dont care to find out again.
Honestly DO NOT USE FEDEX. They apply stupid made up on the spot fees.
Cheers Matt

Peter - Nice measuring amp! Thanks for the write-up. However, I'm a little puzzled by the output from your spec an. What causes the LF noise (<1-ish kHz) to be 15 dB higher than the HF noise? I would expect 1/f noise to have a slope to it, but in your case, it's more of a shelf.
Are the spikes around the carrier frequency and 2nd harmonic IMD products of the power supply ripple?

~Tom

I think the "shelf" around the fundamental is a measurement artifact. I forget what FFT window I was using... I bet a different one would cause that to go away.

The spikes are, I think, caused by IMD from the AC heated driver filaments.

I was trying to source my parts locally, octal sockets and tubes are easier to come by that way.

They are American production for late TV sets. I have lot of them, but hesitate to use in prototypes because they are not in current production. Particularly, I tried 8AL9 in a hybrid amp driver, it is a nice tube, works great! But... how long such an amp may live, and how many of them can be built?
Pete is a brave engineer, I have to admit!

Any suggestions on what octal tubes might be a good substitute for the compactrons in this design?.......Why? Compactrons are cheap, rugged, and easily available... I have lot of them, but hesitate to use in prototypes because they are not in current production.

Well, there is two sides to this question, but they both have the same answer. The answer is that there are not many compactrons in current production, but there are NO real octal sweep tubes in current production either. Sweep tubes come in two flavors whether they are octal or compactron. The ones used in CB and ham radio linear amplifiers, and the ones that weren't. Most of these amplifiers were poorly designed and ate tubes at an amazing rate. The tubes that were used in these amps were killed off years ago so the remaining good ones go for stupid money. On the other side of this there are sweep tubes out there that were produced in large numbers and still plentiful and cheap.

I bought 20 6GV5's for $1 each, so this is where I am going to start. I have several bigger sweep tubes to try too. What would I do if I had to use an octal tube? Most readers should be able to guess this one. The 6AV5GA (not the GT).

I suppose that if you wanted to make a commercial amplifier out of this design, you could get it to work with a KT88, but some serious tinkering will be needed.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Pete,

Always nice to see another option when it comes to amps.

Looking at your posted distortion plots, the distortion rises greatly with frequency which you attribute to the output transformers. You note that this is with the 'cheap' transformers, and I guess you did it that way because you know that many folk will choose the 'economy' option. However, you also note that you have some higher quality imported iron available, so why not post results with those 'expensive' transformers to show what the amp can truely achieve?

Some of us may be simple country boys, but not necessarily cheapskates!

G.

PS a very big 'thank you' for all of the books on-line.