Post Your Results II

There is a little screen door effect. My camera isn't very good. You can't see them in the pictures. It's not bad at all though. It's deffinetly a watchable screen. It's great. And in my post I accidently said it was 90" inches. It's not. SORRY. My bad. I really need to preview these posts before posting them. It's 50". I type way faster than I should. Make alot of mistakes. Sorry again guys.

my results! (dukane 4500 + Apollo Vision Q2)

After more than a month of researching the right panel, ohp, and screen I finally have some results! My OHP is a Dukane 4500 (4000 lumens) and an Apollo Vision Q2 projection panel, 16.7 mil colors, 640x480 res, response time??. I am very pleased overall, seeming that I haven't made my screen yet (i've decided on polywall) and I have not had a chance to even start to think about building an enclosure, although I'm sure I'll build one. I think the screen's diagonal is about 6 feet, but i haven't measured (thats me in the picture). The image is nice and crisp, and I've tried playing Counter Strike but the contrast isn't quite right, making it extremely hard to see in the darker parts of the game. I haven't tinkered with the settings on the panel yet, but would changing the contrast/brightness on my laptop have any effect? Also, as you can see in the pictures in the following posts, I have lots of light leakage from the OHP which will be fixed as soon as the enclosure is constructed. Overall, I've spent about $210 on the OHP, Panel, and correct cables not including the screen material which is yet to be purchased. The cost has actually been even less for me because my dad split the cost of the parts with me, because I am only 14! I found/bought all the components on ebay and have a feedback rating of over 50 100% positive. More pictures to follow once enclosure is finished and screen is ready. Thanks again for every1 who responded to my questions and everyone who has posted such valuable information up on this site.

Attachments

• dscf0178.jpg
    dscf0178.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 2,132
noice!

well this is my first try just got my componets today

what im usen

Proxima Ovation+ 944

3m 9700 (4300 lum)

a big white crapy wall with lots of imprefections

let me say first when we bought this house recently the people that did the basement where like 80 and they didnt even sand the walls after they mudded em they just like painted over the mud(plaster)

so theres lots of imperfections but its really hard to tell

rooms perty dark sorta theres a few windows this is a basement but theres enough ambient light to see well in the dark to eat and do stuff but the picture qual im shocked at

some of the pics are skewd cause i was sitting or standing at an angle

i was running only over rca (composite) from an xbox

i ran xbmc and a py script for my theater to stream satellite tv to the xbox from my other rooms computer running myTheatre
very nice satellite set up if i do say so mah self :)

hopefully soon i can spring for the c800 cable ( 80 bucks)

or make one i got the pdf of the wire and pin lay out from proxima in an email they are perty good with support i gotta say

ok heres the pics ( this is my first try and first day and no screen just wall so im happy with the outcome so far)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

i got the panel for about 150 shipped i think i coulda probably gotten one cheaper but this is the one i ended up with im perty happy about the quality i got out of it im gonna play with it more and see if i can get higher res with a computer cable (c800) its a 13w3 to vga with a diff pin layout . that should let me get a true 1024x768 at least compressed (zoomed out) with this panel i can run 1024x768 over svideo when i set it up on my pc over svideo out on my video card but i can tell its not true like you get over a vga cable so we will see how it turns out once i get a new cable. been thinking about buying some more panels and parts i might tackel taken apart a cheaper lcd monitor soon . my uncle just bought a 3m 9800 thats suposed to put out 6000 lumens so ill see how much better lighting works . i was thinking about building a box with perty much all ohp parts usen old ohp's was thinking about usen 2 balasts and light sources from 2 units to get more light like myabee 2 cheap old 4000 lumen models together in 1 box might give me something near 8000 i hope i dont know yet ill test some stuff later but for now im really happy with my pic qual the pics i posted was the first day and no light blocking yesterday we had a big movie night and i set it up better moved furnature to make it better and we got around 110 inches diagonal and the picture looked great .

I've been doing a lot of traveling this month, but parts have been trickling in and I get a few minutes here and there to work on my projector. Finally put some light on the wall tonight.

My design is vertical, with a mirror on top. It's going to fit behind my couch, raised so that the mirror is at the midpoint of the opposing wall. It uses a single 10" fan from Wal-Mart. The top part of the box (not built yet) fits over the bottom part so that the projector can be collapsed from ~26" to ~16" for storage. The mirror is built into a top lid, when closed the projector will look like a small side table.

Here's a shot from the beginning of construction:

And here's a shot of the hilariously 50% duct tape mockup. Setup contains a broken 400W 10,000K aquarium bulb I had, no spherical reflector, dead-reckoning placement, tinfoil and cardboard protecting the circuit boards. LCD is a SYS generic overseas brand 15" XGA with 350:1 and "40ms" response, needs one FFC extension, no visible motion blur at any time despite poor response rating. Ballast is just lying loose on the chair there. Front box is temporarily simulated with a cardboard box.

This is a test shot with room lights on, three 60W with two pointing at projection area.

This is the same shot with room lights off. The spectrum is funny with a 10,000K bulb, you can find good reds but not all the ones you need. Blues and whites and blacks, of course, work nicely. The image is actually quite watchable, I'd be pretty happy with it if the bulb wasn't cracked. I'll switch in a 6500K bulb later. That square on the bottom left corner is just place I didn't mask off, it shows how much light gets blocked by the LCD.

Overall, it's pretty neat to finally play some movies through this thing. Incredibly ugly, but it's downhill from here! I'm really impressed with the brightness, even with a 19,000 lumen bulb and no reflector. The contrast is great too, I can just barely see the difference between "projected black" and "ambient black." I'll be sure to post some more photos as construction proceeds.

Stupid Cox Communications is blocking my incoming port 80. Should have known, they also block outbound port 25. Anyway, I've moved the port and here are the photos from the previous post. I had to leave town in order to find out that the photos weren't showing for outside addresses? Come on guys, speak up if you can't see images!

10000k bulb would handle the blues well, hows about a face picture?

With no reflector a clear sharp image is easy. Why muddy the image if you cant get a precise reflector? Just use a big bulb! This is very viable for many home brew enthusiasts. Looks good.

I have issues with wasted light but for many people the projector is a chore to get done before the movie fun starts. If this is you forget about the reflector!

There's actually a third category: building it is somewhat of a chore, but in addition to movie nights there is the fact that I did build it. I just have an apartment without any real tools, so no, I can't say that it's a lot of fun to try cutting MDF in square, straight lines. But being able to build one, that's why I do it.

I also want the best quality I can manage, so I'm going to use a reflector; actually, I need one because my fan is right behind the light, and I'm not interested in turning that into a puddle of slag.

I just have an apartment without any real tools, so no, I can't say that it's a lot of fun to try cutting MDF in square, straight lines. But being able to build one, that's why I do it.

In that case use my old trick of of laminate flooring instead. Its square to about 1mm/4ft, Its easy to cut and it has a durable side.

I did my floor with the Ikea version (but any will do) and made a box with leftovers.

bolth my lamps burned out the same night one about an hour after the first one blew , they where used i just got the 3m9700 used off egay so im geussing they where old but i did use the unit alot i noticed the fxl bulbs say 50 hour life i probably used one near 50 hours i fell asleep with it on one night for at least 3 hours heh

but i got new bulbs and ill take more pics of the unit itself and more pics of it with new bulbs i think it looks even better

next im gonna get an normal lcd and rip it open and do some tests i have a syncmaster 152n ive been usen as a main pc monitor for a few years that was getting some screen burn but i fixed with a screen saver i was thinkin of usen this and getting a new monitor and use this 152 for a projector i also wanna build smaller ones was lookin at the 7inchers cant wait to get some extra cash to build more i wanna look into something with dvi too

posting more pics soon

I've got some more results, though not much progress on actual construction. I got my 6500K T15 bulb today, so I put a mockup together again and gave it a try.

Here's one with the lights off, the reds and other non-blue colors definitely pop out more, and the bulb itself is actually much brighter.

Attachments

• adsc0041.jpg
    adsc0041.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 2,492
ello guys, I’m a new member, can you help me,
I’m planning building a ohp pj but i have some questions about de ohp to buy,

1- i have seen in commerce ohp’s with 400w halogen bulb but i have seen you talk in metal halide, hqi , etc.....

2-What should i buy ? With on lamp or two, how much watts? Should i put metal halide bulbs in a ohp halogen bulbs

32- if i buy a old ohp 250owatts for example can i modifier that for a 400w metal halide bubs, how?

By the way, I think the cmv1515 tft if the best, but this are not seller in Europe, or there are?

I want to get the best results

Goodbye, THANKS TO ALL MEMBER ---IT’S A GREAT SITE

PS: Sorry, for my poor English

I went a slightly different route in lcd panels. I went to Target (department store in the usa) and bought a magnavox LCD HD television and took it apart. This was my third attempt. The other manufaturer's screens weren't usable because of ribbon cables being routed around the back of the lighting source. I bought an appollo 3000 and rigged it up and was impressed from the time I turned it on. Obviously a cooling system was also apllied. For a screen I went to JC Penney and bought a "room darkening" window shade. 73" wide by 64" high ($35). I'm very happy with what I've done so far. Using this particular "TV" worked great because it has componant in for my DVD player, Cable for TV, Video in for video game systems ( I have plenty ... maybe a tg-16 for sale), and lastly, it also has svga (or is it vga) for a computer input ... oh, it also has s-video in as well, and it's stereo to boot. The contrast is 400 to 1 and although I'm really happy with everything about it, I'm never content with anything I build (including my speakers, even if I've been told they compare with some costing 10 times the money they cost me), so I'm going to try and spray paint the screen with a paint called reflect-a-light and see if it makes it even brighter. I'm not done with the housing of the whole system and probably won't be for some time. In the meantime my daughter and her boyfriend love to play "life-size" Zelda.

Gary Johnston

Alright, please excuse the **** photos, the uneven lighting and all :) I am using a bowl form a dollar store adn a 500 watt halogen work light. The images are watchable in person and much, much clearer, and my camera (a minidv cam actually) takes horrible photos of anything in the dark. I am far form done, but wanted to post some prelimenary results, I do plan on getting a MH setup, I am really just testing with the Halogen. Oh, there was alos enough light leakage to see ery clearly in the room as I don't have the top on my box either for these pics.

Attachments

• gandolf projector 001.jpg
    gandolf projector 001.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,437