PO89ZB , an inline DC filter for SMPS wall warts . Preamps, HPA, Korg NuTube, etc

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Of course you can measure it with a scope (and are unlikely to be disapointed)... and / or you could just listen to it, to find out if you hear any improvements and if so which ones :)

It is so easy to plug it in and out to listen to the difference...

Have fun and well done

Claude
Hopefully the ACA mini will be built, up, and running by the weekend. Listening tests will definitely take place with and without the filter. As someone very low on the learning curve of using my oscilloscope I’m always trying to find a reason to measure more than anything as a learning experience.
Bravo, @CoGT3! It takes bravery to order PCBs the first time, and more bravery to order components yourself in the current environment of perpetual shortages. Board looks good, congratulations.
Mark, Bravo to you and the rest of crew here who are so generous with your time, knowledge, and gentle nudges to step out of our comfort zones. Probably never would have ordered the Quasimodo boards alone but figured if I was ordering the filter boards why not. Transformer should be here in 2-3 weeks and I’ll give Quasimodo a try also.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
SMPS finally in its new case with help from my daughter. We all know the secret sauce of the Pass amp boards is a blue LED (or green for ZM boards), but according to my daughter the SMPS needs a golden chicken to oversee function.

IMG_2036.jpeg
IMG_2035.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks! It's been fun. A great project for a relative newb like myself to build confidence with.
Don't underestimate the confidence building smaller "easier" projects can be. Take your time and learn about the circuits and build methods. That confidence and understanding usually translates into bigger, more complex projects. I speak from personal experience. :)

Reactions: 1 user
The kit boards have mad mounting holes since the second batch, so the current batch has 4 mounting holes. :)

I sent a large batch to the store a couple of weeks ago, so they should be available soon. The store told me they've switched their back-end system and that it was taking a couple of weeks to get things stocked and programmed, so please hang in there a little while longer.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @carsten.witt , I just noticed a feature of your PCB. There's a fairly narrow copper track on the top layer, connecting to 0.04 ohm resistor "R1". Have you checked one of the (free online PCB calculators) to make sure your PCB tracks can safely handle the amount of DC current flowing in your application?
@Mark Johnson ,
many thanks for pointing this out!
I didn't make before a calculation but now I see that the track are really to thin. In this case should it max 0A5 (1 OZ) .
A RPi 4B need max 0A8 + SSD max 0A8 ..... :-( I will make a new layout with thicker tracks and a new board.