Please recommend Class D amp for these PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Budget is about $ 40,-. and not $250,- like xrk.

Actually, $227 (that $23 roundup is almost as much as the eBay amp LOL) - but note that for my amp, just the BOM (not including the PCB) with genuine parts like Coilcraft flat copper wire inductors, Nichicon caps, Wima caps, Elna Silmic caps, all Vishay metal thin film resistors, genuine TI IC's, TI DC-DC converter and LDO's, etc... sourced from Mouser is ~$125. The PCB itself is 2mm thick, 2oz Cu, ENIG finish and made with state of the art layout practices by a professional (JPS64), and professionally assembled in the USA. I am not sure what kind of parts are being used on a $40 TPA3255 amp?

But hey, this is DIY and we are all welcome to have fun making our own stuff or buying our own stuff.

Last edited:
Actually, $227 (that $23 roundup is almost as much as the eBay amp LOL) - but note that for my amp, just the BOM (not including the PCB) with genuine parts like Coilcraft flat copper wire inductors, Nichicon caps, Wima caps, Elna Silmic caps, all Vishay metal thin film resistors, genuine TI IC's, TI DC-DC converter and LDO's, etc... sourced from Mouser is ~$125. The PCB itself is 2mm thick, 2oz Cu, ENIG finish and made with state of the art layout practices by a professional (JPS64), and professionally assembled in the USA. I am not sure what kind of parts are being used on a $40 TPA3255 amp?

But hey, this is DIY and we are all welcome to have fun making our own stuff or buying our own stuff.

Don’t get defensive please. Like I said some people has no understanding what involved in quality build. Aside from talent, knowledge and labor.

Good sandamps do not have to be expensive. My favourites are wondom ab-32313(gremlin) €60 and hypex ncore500.€90.

My favourit headphone amp diyaudio the wire (€25).

For me all same sounding as my se300b and se fu13 tubeamps with a better bass controll.

Good sandamps do not have to be expensive. My favourites are wondom ab-32313(gremlin) €60 and hypex ncore500.€90.

For me all same sounding as my se300b and se fu13 tubeamps with a better bass controll.

I think I have a few 200AC somewhere in my office, but at $70, hard to beat that price...If interested in mine I will check to see how many I have - I may even have a couple of ICEpower 250A modules...relatively same voltage requirements.

Thanks. I will check them. I have a couple of 200AC y bought on eBay to run with a pair of 500ASP I have.

I checked the 200AC spechsheet but it does not say the amount of current needed in the +/-12V. Do you think it's safe to say it should be less than the max amount the 500ASP can supply in the +/-12V line (0.8A)?

The Gremlin is based in which chip?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I could only quickly find this info.

Impedance reaches a minimum of 4.78 ohms at 210 Hz and a phase angle of –32.26 degrees at 106 Hz.

It tells us only a little. The highish reactance near resonance is likely something your tube amp does not like.

A sampling of other Dynaudio shows some that have sorta flattish impedance, and some not.

Exxcite X-14
1014DX14fig1.jpg

Focus 140
506140FIG1.jpg

Saffire
109Dysfig1.jpg

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That impedance is not bad. The SE tube amp will have a slight interaction (how much depending on the output impedance), but it should not be huge, so perhaps not the cause of your bass issues with it. The rise at teh top could exacerbate the raised area up top (if that FR measured w low output impedance amp0.

dave

The class d amps plays the bass a little more tight and contolled as the tubeamps. Above the 100Hz they sound almost the same. Distorsion comes earlier on the low power tube amps( 8w and 22w).
I experience that all linear and good amps almost sound the same. Therefore i can recomment the wondom ab-32313 with linear power supply as best value for money.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I checked the 200AC spechsheet but it does not say the amount of current needed in the +/-12V. Do you think it's safe to say it should be less than the max amount the 500ASP can supply in the +/-12V line (0.8A)?

The +/- 12v should be ok, the hanger rail voltage on 500ASP a little high for the 200AC? dont remember...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.