Please recommend Class D amp for these PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to you all,

Because I made a couple of buying mistakes, I now have 2 power supplies that I want to use for something. So, what class D amplifier can I use with these power supplies? I don't care the wattage, mono or stereo, nothing... just that it is sort of cheap (under USD$40ish) and that it sounds good enough.

The power supplies are these:

1-. Meanwell LRS-200-48
200W single output @48V

2-. 500W +/-45V amplifier dual-voltage PSU audio amp switching power supply board
Bough from this link: 500W +/-45V amplifier dual-voltage PSU audio amp switching power supply board | eBay

For these last PSU I think i will try the HypeX UcD180OEM, but other recommendations are welcomed!

Cheers!

According to UcD180OEM spec sheet, the typical voltage supplied is 45v with a max of 50v (shuts down at 56v).

Yep, the UcD400 requieres more voltage for typical usage, and the minimum is 45v (with a reduced performance).

How much for the UcD180 with the PS?

I made a few dozens UCD based amplifiers. 45 for 400 is way low. If you want to talk prices for ucd180 send me a message.

So you would recommend to steer away from the TPA3255?

Also, I think the ICEpower 250A works with a single output 48v PSU... so I might build a SW mono amp...

I dislike 3255. You mileage may vary. Imho hypex Ucd is better than ice. Noire without doubt. Modules I have currently sold by hypex for 100 Euro a piece plus shipping. Message me your address I’ll give you accurate quote.

UCD400oem delivers same power as UCD180oem at +/- 45v but has lower output resistance and better bas controll. It is only €10,- more expensive.

Sure AA-AB32313 is best value for the money. There is a complete thread about it in this forum.

Last edited:
I dislike 3255. You mileage may vary. Imho hypex Ucd is better than ice. Noire without doubt. Modules I have currently sold by hypex for 100 Euro a piece plus shipping. Message me your address I’ll give you accurate quote.

The Meanwell PSU cant run the HypeX, because it's single output, thats why I thought it might work with the ICE 250A, as I think it needs single 48v line.

For the dual +/-45 PSU I have, yes I will try the UcD180OEM from HypeX.- as it is the cheapest I can get here locally (around USD$30 ea).

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Imho tpa 3255 is garbage. From whoever implemented it. I’ve heard 5 different versions and disliked all 5.

The eBay/Aliexpress blue TPA3255 circa $55 to $60 has layout errors. Don't judge the chip based on flawed implementations.

Implementations by folks on DIYA, seem to fare better. DrMorde, 3E, and myself included. It's one of the best sounding Class D amps I have heard. Very quiet and very powerful. Even has a nice harmonic distortion profile.

The eBay/Aliexpress blue TPA3255 circa $55 to $60 has layout errors. Don't judge the chip based on flawed implementations.

Implementations by folks on DIYA, seem to fare better. DrMorde, 3E, and myself included. It's one of the best sounding Class D amps I have heard. Very quiet and very powerful. Even has a nice harmonic distortion profile.

I’ll take irs 2092 based over 3255. Imho 3251 sounds better. I lost interest in tpa chips then. Even evaluation board from manufacturer sounded meh.

ucd180lp has no preamp and needs 4,5Vrms input. For normal use you need to ad 4,5 times preamp

Attachments

• IMG_1930.PNG
    IMG_1930.PNG
    251.4 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
ucd180lp has no preamp and needs 4,5Vrms input. For normal use you need to ad 4,5 times preamp

Yeah what he said. They also has no t shaped heatsink. Voltage stabilization and at least twice as cheap Those pins pita to deal with. Good luck.

Any suggestion for a cheap pre amp for this amp?? Would a single ended to balanced converter with gain be enough??

Would this be enough?
Unbalanced to balanced driver board w/ buffer input low distortion 0.006% PCB ! | eBay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.