• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Please critique my TSE choke-input PS sim

I can't help with PSUD, I have never used it.

The choke in a choke input supply eats a LOT of ripple. It needs to be mechanically well built or it will BUZZ like crazy.

90ma seems a touch high......threads regarding the TSE using 45s suggested 90mA......thread you linked to is actually where I got the 100mA figure......25mA per 45, plus 12mA per 5842, plus about 10mA for each MOSFET...so say 100mA total.

Russ' numbers are pretty good. My new TSE-II board measures 107 mA from 325 volts on the positive supply and 23 mA from the negative supply. I have my 45's running at 30 mA each, the 5842's eat 11 mA each, and the mosfets get 10 mA each. Another 5 ma go through the bleeder resistors and the voltage dividers for the bias pots.

we’re looking in the vicinity of 130mA total.

Your choke will only be on the positive supply, so the real number for B+ current is around 100 mA. Most of that flows to ground, but some flows to the negative supply.

If you are simulating the B PLUS, you only count the current flowing from the B+.

When sizing the TRANSFORMER, you need to count ALL the current.

edcor puts out more voltage than

Most transformer vendors specify the transformers with each winding loaded to its maximum rating and it's input at the nominal specified voltage. We typically don't load every winding to the max, and our line voltage is typically higher than nominal.

Many transformers will put out more voltage than specified if the AC line is highly distorted. Here it runs about 3% THD. In Florida on a hot summer afternoon 7 to 10% THD at 126 volts was common. Feed that to a Hammond transformer and your filaments will be eating over 7 volts instead of 6.3.

I've never had a buzzing choke, either. I've used the cheap open frame Hammonds in 5H and 10H sizes, in both TSE and SSE, set up as LC supplies, without any mechanical noise.

My child resistant SSE has been using one of these for years in an LC configuration, and the DHT modified SSE (2A3's) in my radio room, also uses a cheap open frame Hammond in an LC configuration. No noise.

I've got an old open frame Merit choke that is good for 300 ma, and it does not buzz in an LC power supply, even at max load.

Win W5JAG

Okay, update, three years later.

I feel like I’m getting the better hang of this. After some sims using PSUD I was able to find an off-the-shelf Edcor power transformer (XPWR035) and a couple of chokes, one Edcor (CXC100) and the other Hammond (193J).

To double-check my choices, I again simulated the power supply using the measured DCR values of the magnetics. This got me the target value, a B+ of roughly 300V on the output tubes anodes (after a 6V voltage drop across the output transformer primary) with a raw current supply of 100mA. This is shown in the first picture.

However, when I simulate the circuit as a step load (66mA to 100mA) to check for power supply stability, I get the second picture.

Is this something to be concerned about?

(the eagle eyed may notice my capacitors have rather low ESR. This is real as I am using poly film DC link capacitors)

Attachments

• 8019258F-30BD-4F88-924F-20824C669F3A.jpeg
    8019258F-30BD-4F88-924F-20824C669F3A.jpeg
    752.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 2B7E2B6F-C906-4FD4-969E-4610351DA0FC.jpeg
    2B7E2B6F-C906-4FD4-969E-4610351DA0FC.jpeg
    908.5 KB · Views: 62