Playstation as CD-player

The last few days/weeks I've been redoing the PSX and repainted it. Last night I soldered on the IR receiver for the PS2 remote to the motherboard, but then it worked for a while.
Afterwards the remote control only worked intermittently, and then stops working entirely.
Anyone has any idea what could be the problem?

I followed the guide from this page.
Fernbedienung Playstation 1 SCPH-1002 High End CD Player deutschermanfred.de

At the risk of sounding like a spammer - the remote receiver is working. It turns out the connection is loose somewhere so need to wiggle it. I've stuck it into its original housing with foam tape so they won't move anywhere anymore.

Loving it.

ovDcPxW.jpg

GapOIUh.jpg

Hello

I have some questions and comments.
I want to do with Arduino this project with PSx. The model I have is SCPH-7002 and I have the "Action Replay Pro" and "Game Shark".

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/31123-playstation-cd-player-280.html#post3200027

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7bTZCFFrnQ

1. Is there a free project to make the player with Arduino and display the audio messages on the blue LCD?

2. Is there anything similar about this project for PS2?

A cordial greeting.

Long struggles and tribulations i managed to pimp my ps1. I did low pass filter / new outputs rca and added buttons via part of a controller internally

Everything works perfectly! However! I would like to also add a remote. Push buttons are linked on 2nd controller port. And if i plug in receiver for rc it will overrule controller port 2 / so then buttons dont work.

Or i can add the receiver to 2nd port (same one as the buttons are on) then they both work.. But gets mixed signals.. like it loops... with 2 devices on one port (controller + receiver) it will get double signals it seems. so pressing forward once will skip 4-5 tracks.... backwards same... which ofc makes the whole thing kinda useless

So my question is : does anyone know how to fix this ? has anyone modded the ps to both buttons and receiver. I would really like to but i dont know how its dont (yet)

thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20170124_140812.jpg
    IMG_20170124_140812.jpg
    816.6 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_20170311_132249.jpg
    IMG_20170311_132249.jpg
    849.9 KB · Views: 505
Hello

I realize it's probably been discussed before in this thread, but it's a rather long read so it would be great if anyone could answer these:

- Would it be possible to make a digital input for the SCPH-100X to make it work as a DAC?

- Is it possible somehow to make the SCPH-100X's audio output louder?

- Can it be made to play CDr's or are there any particular blank CD's that will work with the stock unit?

- Was the AK4309AVM DAC ever used in other CD-players?

Thanks!

"Would it be possible to make a digital input for the SCPH-100X to make it work as a DAC?"
I would like to know this as well, that would end my search for my ultimate dac once and for all

This is something I've been thinking of myself. The other thing is adding a bluetooth interface for streaming. I haven't done any serious investigation yet though.

I really don't enjoy hacking SMD stuff. I'm more set up for hollow state. But I don't mind discrete SS things.

Still, the benefit might motivate me to dive into to this.

some answers for gekko23

so here' things I understand in response to gekko23:

Would it be possible to make a digital input for the SCPH-100X to make it work as a DAC?
I can't imagine why not. The schematics for the chip are out on the Interweb.

Is it possible somehow to make the SCPH-100X's audio output louder?
I suppose one could take the analog audio output from the chip itself and create a completely new analog section or create a slightly greater than unity gain buffer/amp for the output prior to it leaving the SCHP-1001 chassis via RCA outputs

Can it be made to play CDr's or are there any particular blank CD's that will work with the stock unit?
Complete unknown to me. I've never tried a cd-r on any of my SCHP-1001 player (I have 6 or 7)

Was the AK4309AVM DAC ever used in other CD-players?
The AK4309AVM is a multimedia DAC. I've never heard of any cdps that this DAC was used in.

I can also state that these things are very musical and can be tweaked via the various recipes out there. I personally know of one fellow who retired his Wadia player after getting a SCHP-1001. And much better after a few simple mods.

I can't imagine why not. The schematics for the chip are out on the Interweb.
I see. I've searched around but haven't found anyone that have done this.

I suppose one could take the analog audio output from the chip itself and create a completely new analog section or create a slightly greater than unity gain buffer/amp for the output prior to it leaving the SCHP-1001 chassis via RCA outputs
You mean amlifying between the DAC and the playstations audio output? Would that be possible space wise without building a bigger chassis?

The AK4309AVM is a multimedia DAC. I've never heard of any cdps that this DAC was used in.
I see. Thanks for answering that.

I can also state that these things are very musical and can be tweaked via the various recipes out there. I personally know of one fellow who retired his Wadia player after getting a SCHP-1001. And much better after a few simple mods.
Yeah I have a BLINK modded PS which sounds great but the output is still low and it wont read CDr's unfortunately.

Many thanks for the reply

Stupid me, trying to adjust the laser bias and now it won't start. Power LED turns on and there's a soft this when pressing the power button but no startup sound. Must've accidentally touched the multimeter leads somewhere I shouldn't.

Anyone has experience with this?

There's a whole bunch of fuses and tiny inductors on the power rails on the main board, you'll want to check each one.

There's a whole bunch of fuses and tiny inductors on the power rails on the main board, you'll want to check each one.

the contacts on the little potmeter are very loosy and make sometimes bad contact ( the middle contact from the pot is not resilient )

Tiido was correct, one of the fuses was out. I must've connected the probe wrong during. Now it has a jumper instead so I really hope nothing else will go wrong and fry something else lol.

After adjusting the bias it reads all CDs now, there was a skip on one CD but I forgot which. I didn't try to replicate it. Others however didn't skip, even long ones with a dozen plus songs.