Plasma speaker project

Many here have shared their thoughts on plasma speakers here and other threads on this forum so it would be nice to see you return something to the community (not a finished commercial product that is).

As this is a DIY forum it would be nice if you would share some of your knowledge with us so we can also build our own prototypes and help developing a better version that benefits all.

Thanks in advance !

Best regards,
Lampie

Reactions: 1 users
As this is a DIY forum it would be nice if you would share some of your knowledge with us so we can also build our own prototypes and help developing a better version that benefits all.

Hello,
A lot of things will depends on the project (mainly Power, Audio bandwidth,...), like you have said, an omnidirectionnal like the Magnat has problems of ozone that are not presents on cell plasma reactors like horn loaded designs.
I'don't know much about your project, the only thing I'know is about using multi cells and driving multiple cells with a unique generator, that can be challenging to equilibrate power between cells, but I'haven't try it yet so you can try.
Best regards
PA

driving multiple cells with a unique generator, that can be challenging to equilibrate power between cells
Not really as every cell will get a dedicated driver and will be tuned to resonance.
I have build ionic tweeters since 1987 (before access to internet) and still use some in my setup with great pleasure.

First build a working set that is reliable and talk about the "wishful features" after you have accomplished this.
This is helpful so you can find out if you need to change your design and how to improve it.

A few guesses here:
-Basically, it will have its own integrated amp, maybe based on RF MOSFETs.
-what would be the input? Would an analogue signal be converted on-board? Or, could PCM access be provided a la a development kit or Raspberry Pi interface or something like that?

It seems like there would be a few interesting engineering issues:
1) size of the flame putting a limit on SPL and frequency response, and what kind of filters to use to make the most of the available bandwidth?
2) flame idle size and making it track the music level, maybe buffering,
3) gain curve,
4) the switching scheme itself, which might be as complex as a class d system, and those are usually pre-optimised and provided as a black box.

For me, a "development kit" style of product would have the most utility, and keeping the hardware simple, like an omni-directional candle on a tray.

High voltage RF should be treated with respect and not be exposed like a "candle on a tray" !

It needs to be shielded and safety measures should be taken not to be exposed to any high voltages, high power RF and ozone (as will be the case with an open flame).

Please work safe and you can enjoy this hobby longer !

Feel free to tell me I'm way off base here. But I have a hard time getting excited about esoteric tweeters. Where the music is happening is well below 1000Hz-2000Hz, and that is what I care about the most. A perfect tweeter combined with something more pedestrian where the bulk of musical information is doesn't keep me up at night.

Good linearity, low compression, and low distortion is the key here and those traits have to extend throughout the entire audible range. When planar magnetic or plasma gets better then electrostat or the best cone and dome, then I'll be interested.

Sheldon

In the video, we speak at one point of a solution with two rows of wires developed by Jean-Claude Fourrière which had a poor performance.

These are the only full-range loudspeakers made by this gentleman in the 90s. The size was enormous and the performance tiny.

AHL.png

The loudspeakers had made a very good test in a French audio magazine and were presented in preview at an audio exhibition in Paris, before the first marketing. Mr Fourrière used a 500W McIntosh amplifier to make them work. Unfortunately a transformer caught fire in the enclosure during the sound show and the company closed sometime later.

The company also marketed "Plasmasonic" headphones on the same principle.

Plasmasonic.jpg

In the United States, Mr. Nelson Pass presented a prototype in 1980.
pass.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Well to answer your original question properly, I will imagine I am in the market for a plasma tweeter. I take it that we are are talking a driver and not a full system because you said we are on our own with the LF.

1500hz - 20khz +/-1dB @ 90dBSPL @ 1M
Acceptable power consumption no more than 100w per side while in use
Acceptable price... < $750 each I guess?
Zero or negligible ozone production
Must look very cool / badass / scary to make an impression on guests
Comes with 90deg horn
THD / IMD negligible

I guess to me this would at least get me to consider buying?

A large, flat speaker has to beam at high frequencies. Beaming can be avoided by making the speaker curved or multi-way with a narrow tweeter.

pa - I am not in the market for a plasma speaker, but you already have strong competition in planar speakers from Magnepan and Martin-Logan. You need to offer competitive performance, price, and reliability.
Ed