Pitchfork pre-amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ready to put prts .. but running out of time ... may wait a few weeks ...

Attachments

• 100_3070.JPG
    100_3070.JPG
    332.8 KB · Views: 393
  • 100_3071.JPG
    100_3071.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 383
Here's a single sided layout of the Jung regulator alone for anyone who would like to use it for a preamp project. C13 and C14 are .1uf ceramic caps. They get soldered directly between pin 4 and pin 7 of the op amps under the board.

Attachments

• DipTrace Schematic - Jung Regulator.dch.pdf
    38 KB · Views: 167
  • DipTrace PCB - Jung Regulator.dip.pdf
    43.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Jung Regulator bottom.pdf
    30.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Jung Regulator Silk Mirrored.pdf
    41.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Jung Regulator.PNG
    Jung Regulator.PNG
    345 KB · Views: 294
I am now ready to put parts but working on a budget and using some parts I have.

This is what I expect to use, of course LF356 & LM336 are more noisy but the most triky question is the value for R5 & R6 to get as much gain as possible without goin in oscillation..

Attachments

• pitchparts.GIF
    pitchparts.GIF
    66.2 KB · Views: 255
I now have the 2 regulators working using artwork on post 480 & schematic on post 487 .... next ... measuring noise & checking stability

Be careful if you use artwork from post 480 2 components are shown inverted ... a LED and a voltge reference.

Also there is one hole for a wire at -15 volt output that should be shifted about 0.3 '' otherwise the hole is under a capacitor.

I did some test on the positive supply ..
I did use test load shown below gif attachement
On the scope had results shown in atttached JPG

Positive overshoot reach 0.13 volt.. negative overshoot 0.1 volt
Some part of these overshoot may be the effect of poor wiring around test jig

In steady state after overshoot I had around 15 mV of voltage variation

I did not test negative supply ..

I did test with the same load with a LM7915 used in my bench supply had less oveshoot but more noise that can be seen in the scope screen but impossible to show in photo .. visible as erratic spikes around traces ...

Attachments

• 100_3107.JPG
    100_3107.JPG
    325.1 KB · Views: 360
  • testjig.GIF
    testjig.GIF
    9.2 KB · Views: 368
I have these ceramic capacitor and I expect to use them as feedback capacitor from output of opamp to inverting input .. is it a good choice or should I by mica capacitor ?
All ceramic caps are not created equal. Those particular CK05 types are not the best because then are probably not NPO(COG) grade materials, usually X7R. If they are like these
CK05 22 pF Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - Leaded | Mouser

These are a better choices and alot cheaper than mica. You can always select RF grades if you want to pay more
22 pF C0G (NP0) Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - Leaded | Mouser

Film in the feedback path is usually not used normally because of size.
Mica are at least 10x the price and usually not worth the extra $ unless you can prove to the bean counters otherwise :)

Last edited:
I did some more construction I did build the 2 diamondbuffer according to the attached JPG.

Both worked ar first time ... bias is around 110 mA and had below 50 mV of offset

Offset can be cured by adding an extra resistor in parallel with R1 or R2 ... so I did ... now offset is below 2 mV

Attachments

• pitchtest.GIF
    pitchtest.GIF
    30.8 KB · Views: 295
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.