Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Thank you, mark!
Your suggestion would be my 3rd option (first was balance, output selection mute/normal/+6dB through cinemags) and I even considered an led-dimmer at this position, which would have been pretty … silly.

Re-researching the balance, had sound-au‘s solution in mind, but I‘m not sure wether it works with the attenuator’s input impedance (10k)

p01-f8.gif

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Thanks! Yes, they came with the Ali chassis. Regarding that, I was going for something as slender as possible that had the height to dissipate the heat. These were about the only thing I could find, but they fit the bill perfectly. And for the price, I was very pleased with the quality. They’re equivalent to around a 5U/350, and one might even be able to get a smaller stereo build into each chassis.

Last edited:
I recently had the incredible fortune of acquiring a pair of the 2SK77B Tokin SITs. The clear choice was to build Nelson's 50W BAF SE Mu-follower amplifier, and I went with ZM's bullet-proof version of it, the Singing Bush.

These are very pretty! Congrats!

I wonder how/where you managed to get those 2SK77B... also, are those heatsinks big enough for a 50 W SE amp? What's the idle dissipation of your amp?

Another F3

Hi,

finished the second F3. Built it for my dad and gave it to him on his 80s birthday last week.

As you can see, first tests took place with some older gear "on the fly". Maybe he is carefully checking, whether his son did it right? After connecting the F3 to the standard devices (TEAC CD, unbelievable expensive wires, Thorens, small SteinMusic DIY tupe-pre and DIY speakers built by me 25 years ago) his freshly factory-revised ASR Emitter I HD+ had to leave. Good decision, never liked it.
Dad seems to be happy. That counts.

Next step: An appropriate pre-amp. Maybe based on the BA2018?

Many thanks again to N. Pass (not to forget Jeff and DIYA in general), as now two generations are happy! Have a nice weekend!

Attachments

• Firstwatt_F3_No2_11.jpg
    Firstwatt_F3_No2_11.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,064
  • Firstwatt_F3_No2_04.jpg
    Firstwatt_F3_No2_04.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,060
  • Firstwatt_F3_No2_07.jpg
    Firstwatt_F3_No2_07.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,058
  • Firstwatt_F3_No2_17.jpg
    Firstwatt_F3_No2_17.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,026
Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
These are very pretty! Congrats!

I wonder how/where you managed to get those 2SK77B... also, are those heatsinks big enough for a 50 W SE amp? What's the idle dissipation of your amp?

Thanks! Getting them was a fluke. Unfortunately the generous benefactor had only one pair to spare. Regarding the heat, these sinks(5U/350) are just big enough, and running babysitters during the summer months is advised. Each channel dissipates 192W.