Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hello Walter,

as some others here, I am inspired with your builds.
in your last build, showcase http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass...-your-diy-pass-amplifier-314.html#post4302570

You use a softstart board, this looked familiar, and found some on ebay, what is your experience with this board?
did you buy on ebay?, or have you found the board at another source?, when other source are you willing to share the source?

Grtz

Bert

Hi Bert,

Sorry for the late reaction, was enjoying a little holiday in the south of France :D
I bought them on Ebay from a Chinese seller, something like happyshop2008...
Similar board:
Group A Amplifier Power Delay Soft Start Temperature Protection Board | eBay

The one you show at the pictures is a new one where the LED is at a header, which is nice...
Boards are working great if you replace the thermistors with two in series.

Walter

So the turn on delay starts as soon as power is supplied? That wouldn't be bad as I've always liked a heavy duty power switch.

Yes, turn on and off from the power switch.

I installed the same one as Walter has on my F5TV3 build but I find that I always turnoff at the power switch end anyway. If I had found these at the time I would have installed them instead. I dont care for the pushbutton. I suspect it would be useful only if one did not have easy access to the power switch.

Yes, turn on and off from the power switch.

I installed the same one as Walter has on my F5TV3 build but I find that I always turnoff at the power switch end anyway. If I had found these at the time I would have installed them instead. I dont care for the pushbutton. I suspect it would be useful only if one did not have easy access to the power switch.

Thanks. Good to receive feedback since it seems there are several variations of everything on ebay. I like simplicity. Less to go wrong. Does the delay restart if it loses power momentarily? I do wish these had phoenix connectors instead of quick connect lugs for the power connections.

I used this version of the softstart in my F4 build, has been working great. I replaced the four NTC's with one big one suitable for 240v, then used a momentary contact button to trigger it with a built in LED. The board also comes with two 75c thermal switches which is a nice bit of insurance to have.

Attachments

• Button.JPG
    Button.JPG
    537.3 KB · Views: 1,795
  • Softstart.JPG
    Softstart.JPG
    850.6 KB · Views: 1,735
My version of juma's Cubie. Small and unconventional. 10 aluminum chimneys, 4 large copper chimneys that also serve as structure. Lots of designing, sawing, filing, sanding, fitting, redesigning, etc. Had lots of fun. Speaker posts solid copper 1/4-20 bolts, fine silver 18ga output wires (in teflon), fine silver 28ga input wire (in teflon), 6" x 6" x 10". More photos to come, (haven't taken them yet).:cubist:

Attachments

• CubieCorner.jpg
    CubieCorner.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 1,583
I like Your style: original design & industrial touch.
Congratulations Marsupialx excellent work :)
Best regards

Thanks!!! I'm glad the industrial aesthetic came through. I thought it would be fun to have a miniature lab coated figurine with a clip board standing on the middle platform, and a miniature helicopter sitting on top, to make it look huge. I need to photograph it with a cd leaning against it so you can get a feel for its diminutive size. Look at the rca plugs in the corner of the photo for scale.

I left out drilling and of course soldering. Never enough soldering. It's amazing to me how my inner self knows when something isn't going to work, but I have to try it anyway, just so I can move past it. Much of that.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a shock hazard. All of the exposed metal is grounded, and the amp layer is at 15v. One would have to work really hard to get to anything that could shock, (any more than touching the case of conventional amps could potentially shock). The only reason I might feel the need to enclose it would be thermal equilibrium and breezes. I think it will be fine.

Listening to it driven by my Aikido tube pre. Sweet! Currently with my iPhone as the source. Next step is to connect the music server, an old G4 with an M-Audio audiophile 24/96 card and 33K songs. It is not a "rock out" amp with my Maggies, but I didn't expect it to be. Sound is right up there with the F5, could be better. The signal path is more "tweaked".:D Might try hooking the F5 in as a subwoofer amp. Not the most suitable, but might work at these volumes. Building a "Honey Badger" as a sub amp. Haven't finished it yet. Also building an F4 with a little SET amp as front end. Man, this stuff is fun!!!

Last edited: