Pictorial of an exponential/radial horn being made for me by a friend...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Big money is funding sand research!

It turns out that middle eastern sand, particularly that found in Afghanistan, Irac and apparently also Iran is superb for dampening home speaker cabinets.

This has recently been learned through one of the most generously funded research initiatives ever undertaken by western researchers. Organizing literally hundreds of thousands of technicians and scientists to this task and the spending of billions of dollars have resulted in the conclusive results that this sand " is particularly good at dampening the sound and shockwave of large explosions and seismic like events".

So what are we to expect from this truly groundbreaking research?

As is typical , there seems to be a time lag between the discovery phase and the emergence of products utilizing the technological spin-offs of the research results. Sand damped hi-fi and home theater speakers are not yet showing up in big box stores. With all the money and effort that has gone into this project you would think that there might be some pressure to get the ball rolling on the financial returns!

Apparently not willing to accept the results of the big high dollar western studies, and curiously despite an increasingly questionable practical return on investment in this research arena, private ad hoc research organizations and some highly motivated individual scientists have banded together working indefatiguably, most from established religious infrastructure, to conduct daily experiments involving high explosives and middle eastern sand, or sand based composites. Are they on to something the big money western researchers missed?

The latest news is that some western researchers now believe there may be merit in exposing geographically specific samples of Iranian sand to temperatures exceeding those of a typical star which they point out may be done artificially by thermonuclear processes tried and true. This could take this region's sonically superior sand as a main ingredient and result in new loudspeaker cabinet materials resembling glass.

With all this money and effort being poured into this research right now it will be interesting to see how much better out loudspeakers might become in the not too distant future.

tade said:
On an unrelated note; I would really like to see that lowest horn turned uside down. I think it would be better to have all the mouths close together both acoustically and asthetically.

I didn't see where the low horn ceiling cutoff frequency was going to be but knowing that the path inside that box will not support useable output much above maybe 70- 100 Hz, the placement of the mouth is not that critical as from a concept of meshing sonically with the mid horn, but it may be that co-location of the bass horn mouth (or is this the Bas horn mouth?) may benefit noticeably from the mirror image horn mouth created when placed by the floor.

tade said:
but how low can that midrange horn go? I doub it is large enough to go down to one hundred hertz.

Are we expected to read the entire thread? :D I figured Bas was only having one of these front bass horns made to be centrally located and that he would have something else for midbass under each mid/hi horn stack.

I could be mistaken about the ceiling frequency capability of his bass horn. Miy estimate was only a guess based on limited experience.

rcavictim said:
Are we expected to read the entire thread? :D I figured Bas was only having one of these front bass horns

If you did read the entire thread, and seen all the pictures, you could figure out that there are two of these horns made by Kees Soeters for Bas. According to HornResp this horns have a almost flat curve from 35 to 600Hz at 108 dB... They will be used uptill 400Hz, probably active filtered with three amps each.... Ofcourse they have to prove in practise that HornResp is right.....
BTW: the 75 kilo's (for two horns) of concrete IS selected for mechanical properties, the sand is from the rivers floating through the "dutch mountains".. For more rigidity and also to reduce the volume behind the speaker to approx. 43 Liters.

Cal: lucky i'm handy enough and someone thinks i'm handsome for that.. I just think this is amusing;) That's why you are not in the concrete... greetings to your teacher Yel o' Blu.

Sounds like a slogan to me. "The quality is so obvious, no testing is needed before the name goes on". :D Were those impressive badges laser engraved? I think oiling now would make 'em look better and blacker. Perhaps boiled linseed oil.

Out of curiosity I ran your ancient Samarian script along the top through my computer and I am curiopus. Why does it say "This elevator will not stop on the thirteenth floor"? :D Looks cool though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.