Pictorial of an exponential/radial horn being made for me by a friend...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built a pair of 450hz tractrixs ala edgar horns. They are very sweet and very cool. I used jigsawn rings and lots and lots of hand rasping. Nowhere as smooth as yours, do you suppose this will effect their performance?

I have another question, I looove your radial horns. I was discussing building a mould for my horns and i was told that it would be diffficult to do a complete horn and then remove it from the plug without damaging the plug. What that means is that I would need two halves and a seam. But I am fortunate to have come across your project because your horns do start from two pieces! I am thinking to make a mould instead of cnc and maybe lay them up with carbon fiber.... !!!!

Would you help me find rescources on those horns and maybe a program or something for calculating them please. Also, how are you handling the throat area in terms of attaching to the driver? Pics please.

Many thanks

Edit; Holy crap! you must have posted those pics of that pretty lady just as i pushed the post button because as i scrolled down, there she was! Quite shocking : )

Also, how are you handling the throat area in terms of attaching to the driver? Pics please.
Here is what the designer and builder of these horns sent me..we are not sure what drivers I'm going to buy yet..I'm hoping to be able to get the smaller neodynium paudio's.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Is that a duck on the picture? :D

Seriously, those crafts are really really classy. Before I made the ones I use today (round 350Hz tractrix, milled, 1 15/16" throat for TAD4001) I was thinking hard and long about radial design, but I gave up and went for round ones, as milling them seemed like the most feasible aproach. I'd really like to try some horns like yours some day, as the sweetspot on mine is so darn small.

Many complements for your work.

Many complements for your work.
I will convey your compliments to Kees... :) as it is his work.

I'm very grateful to Kees for making these for me....It looks so easy with the milling machine..but Kees has put in many many hours...feeding the paths in by HAND!!! Into the milling computer.....and having to sand everything smooth because of the milling tool paths. Etc..etc.

Right now he is building the bass horns < 400Hz....as soon as I have pics I'll post em.

Can't wait to see these jobbies in real life...

Rocky said:
Heh, better show her the picture too then, I'm sure she'll be understanding :D You're one lucky dude having handy friends like this Kees.

Looking forward to see your bassies. Radial too? CNC-milled??

Ok, on special request...

Attachments

• kees_eef.jpg
    kees_eef.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 976
Re: Kees's rendering of what the finished product should look like

Bas Horneman said:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Bas,

Front to back displacement of the drivers to enable time alignment is exacerbating another potential problem.

The two horns are sitting stacked upon flat horizontal surfaces extending forward of their mouths that will cause abrupt discontinuity and in fact quite a diffraction edge to their acoustical output. The case of the mid horn on the woofer cabinet looks quite extreme. Adding an acoustical absorbing surface treatment may help here but I wonder if in the case of the midrange to woofer cabinet, can you incorporate a gentle radius roll to the 90 degree top front corner of the woofer box?
It will have to be large, a 1/4 wave length radius to the lowest frequency used by the midrange horn.

Ok, i agree that it is hardly visible but the front of the mid horn is almost equal to the front of the woofer-cabinet. Also both horns have a vertical stand-off (as the drivers have a bigger diameter than the height of the horn) This will be about 5cm..
The horns are not really fixed to the bass-cabinet, so experimenting is possible... (and we, undoubtly, will)
The picture will, however, give a good idea of the proportions and what the final enclosure will look like.. (it was only a 1-hour drawing)
Kees

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.