Pics DIY Yuichi 290Hz Wood Horn

Have started a new system build featuring:

Yuichi 290Hz wood horn with massive Altec 288 drivers
Mid bass in sealed cab, driver to be decided
Lab12 sub
MiniDSP for sub, passive for horn
Custom new 6 channel amp from Holton Precision Audio (Tasmania).

High End Audio MOSFET Amplifiers - Amplifier Modules - DIY Amp Modules - DIY Audio - Amp Kit

Exciting.

Using lovely Euro birch ply in mix of 18 and 24mm.

CNC'd design Yuichi for easy cutting and assembly.

Temporary use of Altec 8005 multi cell horn...which sounds wonderful.

Attachments

• dry run.jpg
    dry run.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 3,454
  • rear view adapter.jpg
    rear view adapter.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 3,378
  • top view.jpg
    top view.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 3,329
  • port in place.jpg
    port in place.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 3,275
  • finished pair.jpg
    finished pair.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 3,287
  • Altec 1005 multi cell 2.jpg
    Altec 1005 multi cell 2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,295
Reactions: 1 user
Mid bass cabs now built to final baffle stage. Dimensions approx. 63cm wide x 35cm tall x 40cm deep.

Birch ply used on the bulk of the panels, with odd shapes of ply added inside for bulk and reduction of standing waves. Extra bracing still to be added.

Heavy buggers.

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 533
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,021
Today I finished the mid bass and tested the first driver, Magnavox 12-inch (full range). This sounded absolutely fantastic. The cabs had added pieces of wood pieces glued in, plus 3 walls lined with wool fibre.

Alnico magnet, high sensitivity.

MiniDSP set with 150Hz xover for the Lab12's....and 150Hz for Mag's.

The Leak valve amp sounded best on the bass module (vs the "pro" solid state 100-watt amp). For fun, using mini class D small amp for the Magnavox. This system would kill most modern systems...and I haven't even sorted out the big Yuichi/Altecs yet. Can't wait.

Attachments

• inside box.jpg
    inside box.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 609
  • wool inside.jpg
    wool inside.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 513
  • bass and mid.jpg
    bass and mid.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 624
  • three speakers stacked.jpg
    three speakers stacked.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,041
Hi Allen

I've built dozens of horn speakers...Lowther, Tannoy, Altec, Klipsch, GOTO etc. I just love horns.

The above design is trying to build a 'reference' system, utilizing the best of the various components, ideal operating ranges etc.

After building a recent Altec/Great Plains 620 horn (with 416 bass and 902 driver), I knew I really loved the sound of Altec compression drivers.

A friend had lots of Altec gear...so I bought a pair of the MASSIVE 288 drivers...14kgs each. I then sampled some lovely horns, 511 and 8005. They worked a treat.

Being a DIYer, I just had to build something though...so along came the Yuichi...which many reviews suggest is one of the best horns around. I was bitten.

With a lot of my designs using CAD, it was only natural I did the Yuichi in CAD. A local Sydney supplier cut all the panels, and I have used lovely Euro Birch ply for the components. They weigh about 20Kgs each....63cm wide....but they look stunning, even though they're not finished.

See a few pics of other CNC projects of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_3029.JPG
    IMG_3029.JPG
    542 KB · Views: 991
  • IMG_4771.JPG
    IMG_4771.JPG
    670.9 KB · Views: 891
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 1,248
  • IMG_2855.JPG
    IMG_2855.JPG
    572.1 KB · Views: 1,265
Today, I added back in the Altec horns and 288 drivers....getting to sound very good indeed...three amps all trying their best....the scale is very good. Crappy electronic cap on the horns at 500Hz...and MiniDSP for Lab12 bass (150Hz), then 550Hz for the mid bass.

I'm quite wrapped in the little Class D amp...not powerful, but very clean.

Have Mark Knoffler cranked up loud....

I should be outside with my electric plane and sander to get the large curve made on the Yuichi horns...but I'm petrified....!

Attachments

• three way with altec 8005.jpg
    three way with altec 8005.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,017
Love that snail!..................I seem to not be keen on a frame of references...........So if that's a 12", how-bought a 12LTA snuggled in there? Scale it up or down, don't care. Want some exotic wood to machine?? Got some!

___________________________________________________________Rick.....

Love that snail!..................I seem to not be keen on a frame of references...........So if that's a 12", how-bought a 12LTA snuggled in there? Scale it up or down, don't care. Want some exotic wood to machine?? Got some!

___________________________________________________________Rick.....

Yeh, 12 inch vintage Magnavox alnico.

Much relieved to have finished planing and sanding one horn section...took about two hours...quite hard...but got there. It will be next weekend before I get to the other three.

Have filled the horn adapters with resin/bog, then filed and sanded to get the right (and difficult) round to rectangular shape. A little bit of standard putty to fill any holes will finish that part off.

Attachments

• throat with resin hard.jpg
    throat with resin hard.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 880
  • rough plane.jpg
    rough plane.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 926
  • first section planed.jpg
    first section planed.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,013
  • first section planed 2.jpg
    first section planed 2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,011
Just curious as to which version of the 290 Yuichi did you use with the 288's... 290, 290S or 290FL are the ones that I see on his website. Thanks for the pics, it must have been a lot of work and it sure looks nice.
It is the 290s...this has straight sides, though the last 20 cm inside is curved out a little....I'll do this later.

I chose this version because it is easier to build. Actually, using CNC, the standard 290 model would have been easier, as I would have cnc'd the curved sides in layers. Anyway, I've already drawn up that CAD plan for possible future use.

Certainly helped having the fins cnc'd.

Andrew

Ah yes, I remember seeing your horns when I last used a pair of FE108EƩ. Are you still into rear loaded FR?

The Yuichi looks similar to my lower mid horn (hypex/LeCleach) at the mouth. Hope you like it.

I still love BLH's for sure. Just last week I was lucky to buy back my very first build, the medallion II horn. With fostex 206E it really is a great speaker.

In terms of BLH's, I have built medallion, carfrae, big fun, plus my radical own design, the C-horn. Was also the co designer of the new lowther Hornet here in Oz.

Ply Version of C-Horn | Hi-Fi

Lowther Loudspeakers in Australia

Also, I've enjoyed Tannoy rear loaded horns, having built a few GRF's...both the 'smaller' Rectangular version and the large corner horn.

I have also designed bass horns for GOTO USA, based on this modern version of the Jensen Imperial...

Of late, though, I've really enjoyed front loaded horns...and have built Klipsch Cornscalla (Bob Crites) using two way Faital Pro components, Altec Stonehenge with 604 from Great Plains Audio, Altec 620 with 902 and 416 components, plus a three-way horn of my own design using composite stone horns from Stereolabs (Germany).

The current Yuichi/Altec multi-way/multi-amp design is a culmination of my past 10 years of building/dabbling.

Attachments

• no legs 2.JPG
    no legs 2.JPG
    684.9 KB · Views: 1,447
  • Mahogany GRF-R.jpg
    Mahogany GRF-R.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,431
  • front finished 3.jpg
    front finished 3.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,435
  • 100424_goto_011.jpg
    100424_goto_011.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,499
  • C Horn Ian Berry.JPG
    C Horn Ian Berry.JPG
    921.7 KB · Views: 1,571
Very nice, Zeonrider...well done. I would have preferred to do that model with the fully curved sides.

May I ask:

1. what is the driver you are using?
2. how is the sound in room? (I'm choosing to not add the fins.)
3. what is your xover point?
4. do you use tweeter?
5. what amp do you use to drive horn?

1. B&C
2. Great with the large width of the sound image
3. Around 1700Hz 12dB low/18dB high
4. Yes, compression driver
5. Sansui AU-20000

Regards zeoN_Rider