• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

tubes

My new NOS tubes from a local old radio repair shop :)

Attachments

• tyyi.jpg
    tyyi.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 2,510
Curcio Mark III

I've posted this in another thread, but will do so again here for the record.

These started out as Dynaco Mark IIIs. All of the factory circuitry has been replaced with Curcio Premium Upgrade electornics. Totally different amp than what Dynaco designed.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Re: Curcio Mark III

HipoFutura said:
These started out as Dynaco Mark IIIs. All of the factory circuitry has been replaced with Curcio Premium Upgrade electornics. Totally different amp than what Dynaco designed.

How did the bells turn "gold"? And who makes them? Looking great but is that a PCB I see on top of the case? :eek: OMG the purests won't have that! ;) I like it just the same.

BTW, you can have those aluminum caps plated with gold finish.

Those things look promising, how is the sound?

Shawn.

Shawn, Those are the factory Dynaco trannys. I had them gold plated by the shop that has done all the chrome on my hotrod. Came out very nice. The cap can is just for looks - not connected to the electronics. I haven't decided what to do with them. I considered gold but felt it may be too much gold on such a small chassis. May go with chrome; may polish them - time will tell. The circuit board is above the chassis because there are two below and no room for a third.

The sound is off the scale! I have been around plenty of amps and hifi systems. I have never heard anything better! I have over $2,500 into these mono-blocks, but they sound as good as they look. They drive JBL L100s and I use a Phase Linear 4000 Series II preamp. I have a pair of subs I designed and built that are powered by a Phase Linear 400 Series II poweramp with a Paradigm X-30 crossover. You put all this together and it is stunning! The detail that these mono-blocks put through the L100s is like crystal. The lows are there, the highs are there, and they are quick and sharp with no shrill. The only thing these amps have in common with the factory Dynaco Mark IIIs are the transformers. All of the circuitry and design have been changed with the Curcio boards. I have a second PL 400 I used to drive the JBLs. The Curcio mono-blocks have nowhere near the power, but they sound much nicer.

Don

C boards

I have had a very large vacuum project on the table for over a year now. I continue to struggle with it because I don't know what I want as an end result (I can't see it). I have received several emails and suggestions directly from folks 'round the world about using Curcio boards !!

Nice to see someone putting their (Curcio) product on the line :) and getting the "results". :D

Jah,

Shawn.

Attachments

• 5au6gt.jpg
    5au6gt.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 2,471
EL34 SE

My ‘working class’ interpretation of the mandatory EL34 build.

In this case 6SJ7 back-end with EL34 front-end, wired for pentode and UL mode respectively. Currently using XF2 DD getter EL34 and Kenrad US Army 6SJ7, which actually the shopkeeper gave away free to me. Now, whoever said that them ‘J7 were untouchables :)

Finished building last Saturday. Sounds great as of now. Hoping to tweak in the days to come.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Top Layout:

I wanted to use as small a footprint as possible. At the same time I also wanted to incorporate oversized Ironware, tube rectification and PIO PSU cap. The result is this somewhat awkward layout. But it serves the purpose.

The PSU:
Enough grunt. Mullard GZ32, Cornell Dublier Oil can, Delta Choke and Power TX. PTX Potted by me.

The innard:
Actually still a 'work-in-progress' venture. That explains the somewhat messy tag board. Once things are upto satisfaction a new tag strip will be installed.

Valve line-up

miklos said:
Looks real good. What type of filter cap you are using?
Nice allen head scews in the transformers.
Miklos

The PSU is like this:

370-ct-370 @ 350mA > 4uf/500volts Cornell Dublier Oil Can+1uf MKP>10H/250mA/50Ohm Choke>100uf/450V Keltron Elco

Those are non-megnatic Stainless Steel screws on the OPT.

And BTW that nice Aluminum Knob is a custom item, kindly provided by forum poster TCP/IP who lives in Mumbai. I am also getting a Pine wood face plate made at a laser engraver.