• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Thanks to all of you for your kind feedbacks! I did not expect this at all as I recently experienced nasty criticism in a German forum for the same posting... (Core message: "Rich high enders drive up prices and use their money to steal antique radio collectors historic tubes from the market that belong in old steam radios!") :(

Anyway, I'll prove that I'm also one of these "bad guys": Here is a nice pair of Raytheon 2A3H that I recently got hold of in South Korea. Normally, I've located the entire Asian area as a "black hole for tubes" for me. Historic triodes and other rare tubes, which once landed there, never come back from there to our western hemisphere, because our Asian friends of the tube freak scene usually are really hardliners in that regard...

I just plugged the tubes in quickly, the right tube still has a bluish glow at a small spot due to some ionized gas inclusions. No, the tube fortunately does not have a leak and to my experience the getter will have caught the few gas molecules after 50 hours of operation at the latest.

By the way: Whenever somebody should have 2A3H tubes to offer, please let me know. Even singles, all brands. Thanks!

Last edited:
I did not expect this at all as I recently experienced nasty criticism in a German forum for the same posting... (Core message: "Rich high enders drive up prices and use their money to steal antique radio collectors historic tubes from the market that belong in old steam radios!") :(

Anyway, I'll prove that I'm also one of these "bad guys"

It is so strange that some people become jealous or angry because they can no longer get hold of tubes for little money like everything else, it is about supply and demand.

I myself have no problem using vintage things they were made once to be used. If collectors get hold of these tubes, they just end up on a shelf and collect dust who then benefits from them then, the collector can then instead buy tubes that are well used.
Or even worse, a collector dies and none of the family is interested and everything is thrown in a dump.

That I ask about the weight is that a friend of mine also built an heavy amplifier on wheels. I myself have one of 20 kg + and I do not get younger for every year so moving it starts to be difficult.

Hello guys!
Adding my five cents here...

Attachments

• IMG_0848.jpg
    IMG_0848.jpg
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_0853.jpg
    IMG_0853.jpg
    1,004 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_0877.jpg
    IMG_0877.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 401
My newest build using the PCBs I designed (black ones) might even be finished today if I'm not lazy :)
6F12P VA/PI, 6N8S driver, 6P31S output (but the board will work with any tube that has a 6L6 pinout with or without a top cap).

Hopefully I didn't make any errors in the boards!

Attachments

• 2021-01-25 14-38-08.jpg
    2021-01-25 14-38-08.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 725
Had to download and then somewhat increase the brightness to get some impression of your build. Great build.
Only know the Klipsch brand from their huge horn shaped speakers way in the past. ;)

I have had many great speakers at home for years of happy listening Magneplanars, Sonus fabers, Living voice air partners (Background & History | Vox Olympian | Living Voice), and after a family, building a house, staring a business and other distractions decided I recently needed to find some cheaper, smaller and easier to live with speakers to take my old valve amp out of storage again and listen to music at home after a long break without sounds.

I picked up some second hand Heresy III speakers.......thinking they would be a good bet for my 211 amp with just 11 watts and OMG they are amazing. A friend who heard went out the following day and bought a pair too, selling his Sonus Fabers he had for 15 years.

I have made a self build sub that makes these sound even more convincing if you want a really full range sound, but you don't NEED it.

Also a good (Wealthier!) friend of mine had Avante Garde Trios for years, and now has these Cessaro Horn Acoustics: Home they weigh a colossal floor reenforcing weight and cost the price of a yacht....

AND I prefer these little Heresy speakers to all of them.

If you have not tried them you should !!