• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Made a 78 t.p.m.record correction filter with 10 tubes.
It is supposed to be after a normal RIAA correction filter.
Thus after your normal Phono amp.
But as correction filter of your dac ore tube amplifier,it does a great yob as well.
I love it.:)
One dimension higher in tube sound.

Very interesting and nice look! That must be rather complicated correction filters. How does it sound? does it bring out that amazing sound!
I'm very interested in playing 78's but have struggled for 5 years with a preamp. Tried several schematics and my favourite so far is a build based on the General Electric UPS 003B. With 6sc7. Did you have a schematic or did you have to figure one out?

True spud amp with the 6CL6 tube. Chassis is 8" x 6".

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Amp.jpg
    Amp.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 1,787
  • Guts.jpg
    Guts.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 1,031
Looks good drteming. So first, how is the 6CL6 a spud amp since it only has one section? I think of spud amps as using 2 section tubes like 6EM7. Are you relying on a pre-amp for voltage gain?

And second, how do you like it? I bought a few 6CL6 to play with many years ago but haven't gotten around to playing with them yet. They seemed to have promise, though I wasn't especially thinking about them as finals.

Looks good drteming. So first, how is the 6CL6 a spud amp since it only has one section? I think of spud amps as using 2 section tubes like 6EM7. Are you relying on a pre-amp for voltage gain?

And second, how do you like it? I bought a few 6CL6 to play with many years ago but haven't gotten around to playing with them yet. They seemed to have promise, though I wasn't especially thinking about them as finals.

There are factions that believe a "true" spud amp has only one section. The 6CL6 is useful in this application because when you run the screen at 150V, you only need about 3-4V of bias, and the amp can be driven by a line source.

The little guy is fun to listen to. Surprising amount of bass, likely due to diode bias and relative overkill on the output irons. Only 2 W peak output, but plenty loud for my office.

Interesting build drteming... how did tyou dothe wire wrapon those big brown caps, that's a clever way to extend the leads. Those TO220 packages, schotky diodes for DC heaters?

The wire couplers are 22 ga copper wire wrapped around an appropriately sized mandrel.

attachment.php

Those are stacks of Cree SiC Schottky diodes for bias. 4 of them provide a bias of 3.57V in this application.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Wire Coupler.jpg
    Wire Coupler.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 950
  • Stacks of Diodes.jpg
    Stacks of Diodes.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 966
Thx drteming. I guess I wasn't aware of that interpretation of a spud amp, but no matter. I was just curious. And you only need 3-4v of swing and you can get 2wpc out? I haven't done a lot with pentodes (or tetrodes) and have only tried designing with triodes.

Glad you posted this amp. I'm even more curious now!

Opinions are divided on these Cree Schottky diodes. Some love them, others like me can't live with them. I took all mine out - smoother with filament bias in my case, since I use DHTs. There was a certain sharpness I could never get rid of for all the clean sound.

There's already heaps of harmonic distortion due to the tubes running in pentode mode. A little extra clarity doesn't hurt.:D

"Attitube" my Mk.II version of EL 84 SE

Then I am finished with my second EL84 SE , triode wired. This time i mounted a source selector for more flexibility. With a EAR 834 clone and Thorens 321, "Kind Of Blue" sounds fantastic!
Sound very good with my twenty years old Klipsch RF15. About 1,5-1,9 Watts class A are enough folks! Sorry for the dust on the amp!!

Attachments

• Attitube 2.jpg
    Attitube 2.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 753