• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Joined 2008
Paid Member
In a single tube can I have two triodes like the 6EM7 or triode and pentode like 6T9.

You mean to meet the spud definition? Yeah. . . . . . but unless there's a spud competition you're looking to enter I don't think we're expected to meet very stiff requirements. ;)

You could also do equal section twin triode or tetrode or pentode things like this.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes.

"One-tuber" = Spud (Potato)

I don't know if "Spud" is an American English slang or if it's used worldwide, but this is interesting -

The name spud for a small potato comes from the digging of soil (or a hole) prior to the planting of potatoes. The word has an unknown origin and was originally (c. 1440) used as a term for a short knife or dagger, probably related to Dutch spyd or the Latin "spad-" a word root meaning "sword"; cf. Spanish "espada", English "spade" and "spadroon". The word spud traces back to the 16th century. It subsequently transferred over to a variety of digging tools. Around 1845, the name transferred to the tuber itself.

So is it a Spud?

Attachments

• IMG_1425.jpg
    IMG_1425.jpg
    792.2 KB · Views: 1,021
Joined 2008
Paid Member
So as long a is there is only a single tube, regardless of type, in each channel then it is a potatoe?

You're looking for a definition?
OK, To me it's all about the spirit of the thing. You know the story of the little engine that could? I think it's about that. So a circuit with BJT or Mosfet, or chip circuitry that just happens to sport a single bottle in there somewhere wouldn't deserve to be called a spud in my book. Probably it would in somebody else's.
By my own definition it's about the sport of doing a lot with a little. It has to be good , maybe not the grail, but likeable or cool for it's David puts on Goliath's shoes kind of bravado.

Looked at your website. Pretty nice. That pic of the Twinnings Tea Box Pre PS would be an admirable looking spud if it were an amp and not a power supply.

What kind of potatoe are you planning?

BTW, Curious about your impression of the headphone amp build I tried the "Read More" link on your page but don't see any additional text there. Did you do a longer writeup or is the link an automatic entry on the blog page setup?