• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Let me explain by what I mean to see a good small amp. I'm against tube amps like the miniwatt (see link below). When you look at the amp which has been built here and is nice and compact and actually can produce good music and is not a tube amp just to be one, more to the DIYers.

miniwatt

When my 6AS7 is a small tube amp (retro-thermionic Pinot KiSharn - see image) and sounds stunning across all music and this amp there is no need for these poor excuses for tube amps.

Attachments

• KiSharnSS.jpg
    KiSharnSS.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 1,347
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Amp looks good. I don't like blue Edcor's in most amps but blue with blue looks good. Camouflage works. :D

there is no need for these poor excuses for tube amps.

Hmm, funny...thats what i think of SE 6AS7 amps. If I had to choose, I'd take the Miniwatt any day...not for looks (yours look better) but for sonics.

Big Edcors work for me.

Something surreal going on here. When you say big do you mean they have a big charisma, a big heart or what exactly do you mean? What's the max DC current of those OT's?

Amp looks good. I don't like blue Edcor's in most amps but blue with blue looks good. Camouflage works. :D

Hmm, funny...thats what i think of SE 6AS7 amps. If I had to choose, I'd take the Miniwatt any day...not for looks (yours look better) but for sonics.

Something surreal going on here. When you say big do you mean they have a big charisma, a big heart or what exactly do you mean? What's the max DC current of those OT's?

:D :D:D:D

Yes the current rating of Edcor OPTs has been questioned before. It should be stated especialy to help us in the SE camp. On request Edcor will tell you.

By big I mean larger wattage rating for the amp you are building. For example I'm building a SE 300B amp for a customer. As it was I went for 30W Hamond OPTs put I would have chosen something similar in an Edcor. I required larger OPTs due to the 94mA of idle current though the amp will only produce 7.5W.

see image of amp.

Also though I have not proved it nor have I heard a miniwatt I would put my money on my 6AS7 SE as a better performer. I only know one person with a miniwatt. I may have to borrow it to compare.

Attachments

• FinMockupIIS.jpg
    FinMockupIIS.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 1,296
i notice the 300b you are building cost $4k so far according to your blog, i dont see how thats a good investment, if i was to spend $4k on an amp i would have custom OPTX or something better like LUNDAHL, hammond is good too but not $4k. the the top plate would be custom too like the one you get from FRONPANNEL.COM

I don't mean to question your expertise but I have built a few amps and preamp and I've use edcor, Hammond, Lundahl, haven't use butique parts like silver wires and such but never exceed 2k I'n parts.

The JJ Full Music 300B/SE tubes were over $600 alone. No expertise required this is what the parts cost. I'm building the amp for a friend so the parts cost is accurate. The Hammonds (OPTs and choke) and power Tranni were expensive. I bought EH 300Bs to test the amp with and an additonal Treasure 6SN7 so there is some additional/spare parts also. The cost is for the total project. The Audio Note Silver caps were $400.

It would be a little cheaper if the "extras" were removed.

here's my RH84 and SE kt88.
RH84 ttal cost with edcor ptx and transcendar optx under 1k
SE kt88 edcor optx and ptx way under $1.5k
RH84 all vintage tubes
SE kt88 i run them with a few different set of tube but mainly gold lion kt88.
i built these for myself so no labor charge to me:D

Attachments

• DSC01239.JPG
    DSC01239.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,389
  • DSC01242.JPG
    DSC01242.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,365
well i do understand the cost of butique parts just cant justify myself to shell out 400 for butique caps, i would put my money on irons before caps, i guess im just a cheapskate.
btw; getting parts ship to down under have to cost allot more too im sure.

Last edited:
here's my RH84 and SE kt88.
RH84 ttal cost with edcor ptx and transcendar optx under 1k
SE kt88 edcor optx and ptx way under $1.5k
RH84 all vintage tubes
SE kt88 i run them with a few different set of tube but mainly gold lion kt88.
i built these for myself so no labor charge to me:D

Hi Tim

Nice amps indeed!

Is the KT88SE running triode, ultralinear or pure tetrode?

Steve