Phonoclone 3

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
DL-103, exactly. Rather ambivalent feelings on learning that its characteristic should be so obvious that you could guess correctly just from my description. On the one hand it's nice to learn that it isn't an inherent limitation of the phono stage - but on the other its saddening that the whole exercise then leaves me no wiser about its sound...

RJM

No worries mate, as our friends down under would say.
I use the phonclone with great joy at this moment with:
DL-103 (SME 3012),
ZYX 10 (Project 9c)
vd Hul Frog (MG-1 tangential air bearing tonearm)

The same record can sound differently I have experienced.

All the characteristics of reviews of these cartridges are pinpoint reflected with the Phoneclone. Something I cannot say of the two commercial phono preamps I have.

I still have to build the PC3 version, boards and components in house time and room to build them lacking.

I think you have created a beautifull PHONO Preamp. When disposable income allows and wish to get also the analytical component combined with musicality of the 103 exists start playing with cartridges.

The 103 is very nice and musical! And hard to beat in at it''s price!

Thank you for your efforts.

Michiel

Thanks, Richard, got my boards awhile back and just gathering the parts for a build. Can't wait to hear my VPI Scoutmaster with Zu Denon 103 through this thing.

By the way, do you think it's feasible to put the VSPS and PhonoClone 3 in a same box and put a switch so you can have a MC/MM phono stage all in one box?

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
By the way, do you think it's feasible to put the VSPS and PhonoClone 3 in a same box and put a switch so you can have a MC/MM phono stage all in one box?

I'd use an external power supply and plug in either the phonoclone or the VSPS box depending on the cartridge in use, though of course this does mean reconnecting the cables for each switch.

An all-in-one box is possible, if you want. The question then is do you bother to switch off the unused circuit or leave both always powered up.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Recently I built the Phonoclone and currently use a Transrotor Cantare (output +/- 0.5mV). Is this too much output for Phonoclone? I have some distortion on the right channel at loud passages in music. I lowered the R2 value to 1K, but that does not seem "to do a lot".

Transrotor Cantare = Goldring Eroica Reference MC, and I think the internal impedance is 8 ohms, as it seems to be the same spec' as the Eroica LX..

http://www.goldring.co.uk/moving-coil/cartridge/eroica-lx.htm

Using the phonoclone gain calculator in the BOM, I get 8 ohms for R1 and 160 ohms for R2, so I suggest lowering R2 to 220 ohms or less.

Yes, just solder in a mill-max pin and then you can just insert the resistor into it. I've been doing that from way back when. You could also solder in 2 "legs" (ie bits of wire) and then solder the resistor to those legs.

(edit: the mill max sockets: think of a DIP8 socket that you would put an op-amp into but only a single socket rather than 8. They are available in rows of 20 from mouser for about $2 #575-113120)

If you want a doofer: if you have some old scrap PCBs from scrap machinery you might find some on boards)

Fran

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
You can buy - or improvise - little pushpins/standoffs that fit in the PCB holes and which you solder the component to.

Or you could have a little daughterboard made up with DIP switches and such.

If you can live with a little more or a little less gain, leaving R2 and R1 as they are is by far the easiest option, as the circuit is self-correcting to a point as higher output carts tend to have higher impedance that lowers the circuit gain.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yes, just solder in a mill-max pin and then you can just insert the resistor into it. I've been doing that from way back when. You could also solder in 2 "legs" (ie bits of wire) and then solder the resistor to those legs.

(edit: the mill max sockets: think of a DIP8 socket that you would put an op-amp into but only a single socket rather than 8. They are available in rows of 20 from mouser for about $2 #575-113120)

If you want a doofer: if you have some old scrap PCBs from scrap machinery you might find some on boards)

Fran

Just break them right off aye?

@ RJM,

Thanks. My setup is still experimental, ie on a wooden board.. Powersupply is very simple: Only a toroid ( 2x12V/ 35VA) and a bridge...
By the way: Is it possible to use a 2x 18V toroid? I have a big one available (80VA), or will that stress the Xreg circuit too much?

@ RJM

I just put in the 18Volt toroid, using a choke input (~2He). Result is very good, do not exactly know if it is the larger toroid or the choke-input configuration. Bass is much more resolving and that seems to stir up the whole sound..
Any experience with choke-input PSU on Phonoclone?

I've posted these before but on request:

Mine is a 2 box affair, first up the power supply. Dual mono, 2 x 50Va toroids:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

little closer:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is how the boards are laid out (note that these are the older version of the phonoclone, but layout is the same)

rear view with connections:

and the front:

fran

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Bass is much more resolving and that seems to stir up the whole sound..Any experience with choke-input PSU on Phonoclone?

No, but what you describe is in line with what you'd expect moving up to a larger VA transformer. [The inductors can't hurt either, but 2H isn't really doing much. I'd try removing them as it might even be better without...]

@Fran: thanks, though for some reason I can only see the thumbnail size pic