Phono preamplifier using OPAMPS.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I made a subsonic filter i also described in part in my MPP thread that does the oposite then the arm-cart combo. I called it TDF, time domain filter and it works very well. John Curl heard it without knowing on the last Las Vegas CES. It had even NE5534 in it and most people liked the sound better with the filter in the system. Cleaner and better resolved in the bass. I think a good subsonic filter is beneficial but it has to be tuned for the real world situation. I work with Doc Feikert on a modification of his software to include in situ subsonic filter design. We just did not find the time to finish it. Nevertheless a subsonic filter can not improve the mechanical situation. I will get an Immedia Centroid and the new Schröder arm very soon to try other mecanical solutions.
I think my Triplanar is just a bit to heavy.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, the subsonic cuts the energy to the amp and speakers helping the rest of the system but if the main arm-cart resonance is easily excited is picking up modulation for all signals on the LP. Remember that seminal paper? Was recommending utmost care for how the main resonance can pick up, showing that its much better to control arm resonance than what its there to ride on it coming from the rest of the TT quality and isolation.

Attachments

• B&K.jpg
    B&K.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 452
Now that everyone is well rested, i had two beginner philosophical questions about the circuit in the AN-1651 app note in post #6 and post #12

If you use a dual op-amp (49720 instead of 2 x 49710,) are there sonic penalites to doing so?
And then does one use one dual for each channel, or one dual for each stage?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.