Phono preamplifier using OPAMPS.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Phonocurves 15dB Scale : light blue : March to the Scafford beginning 45 RR
red : 1kHz test tone Edition Phönix
blue : empty groove, Edition Phönix
green : Phonostage noise, tonearm up
phono open, empty groove, 1kHz tone: same as Phonocurves 15dB without music but
1/6 octave Butterworth smoothed
Comparing Phono Curves: blue: March to the Scafford end
light blue: March to the Scafford beginning
red: empty groove
green: Phonostage output arm up

No it has an AC motor. The steering has input from John Curl. I think it is a Premotec motor and i press the silicone belt against the pulley with a Frank Chang wooded foot.
I was surprised that the 1kHz tone ended up slow. I had adjusted the table with a Clearaudio 300Hz strobe. Maybe the lath was running slow when it cut the record. You can see my arm resonance at 6Hz. I measured without subsonic filter. Usually i use a 4th order filter under 16Hz for listening. The arm has some fluid damping with Mobile One synthetic oil. When i damp it more it sounds worse. Maybe the reson is that not many discs contain something under 50Hz. The maximum in the Refference Recordings Berlios is at 35Hz but it sounds deeper. My phonostgae seems to be up to task. Well, i could work a bit on the hum but this "Noise War" with Syn08, JC and SW @all has payed duty. This is the Transconductance-Transimpedance stage i posted recently on my MPP thread and i can do even 3dB better until Bolzmann knocks at the door. Distortion of the 1kHz tone is -45dB second and -50dB third. I think that is decent. I did not score better then -40dB on the Klippel test.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
By the way i sampled with 131072 points, 10 avarages and a Hodie5 window so some peaks may have escaped me on the Berlioz. i checked with a headphone if the right track was playing. Are you interested in a pink noise plot from the Image Test Record ?

That will show your cart's FR. OK. Is it the Lyra Titan?

P.S. Can you present it in octave scale? Also why you opted for so low an Fs? Its where record eccentricity lurks. B&K seminal paper was advocating even 16-18Hz damped if possible, but certainly 10Hz over.

interesting hat they have cut that with a steep 20kHz filter. The pink noise track on the Phönix is more bumpy so there seems no agreement on even a simple pink noise signal.
I asume that they took a signal from a CD ( Image ) to record this. Bad boys !!!!!!
The other expanation whould be that they used a AD-DA chain for sensing the groove width. Even worse !!!!!!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When i compare the 1Khz tone with the noise of my Phonamp at 1kHz i could decode a range of 113,5dB theoretically. The limit is really the self noise of the groove.

I believe I can further see in your first graph 65dB at 20Hz relative to 1kHz playback peak and 90dB relative to empty groove playback at 1kHz. All in all quite near to my results. Must just be differences in records surface noise. The head amps prove more than adequate, no more noise wars significantly relative after the rock hits the plastic.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
interesting hat they have cut that with a steep 20kHz filter. The pink noise track on the Phönix is more bumpy so there seems no agreement on even a simple pink noise signal.
I asume that they took a signal from a CD ( Image ) to record this. Bad boys !!!!!!
The other expanation whould be that they used a AD-DA chain for sensing the groove width. Even worse !!!!!!

48kHz 24bit octave scaled (maybe 1/48 can't remember) for the DL103R on the HFNRR's pink stereo band. They cut it there too, but our measuring card's sampling filter kicks in also.

Attachments

• DL103Rband4&3Lch.gif
    DL103Rband4&3Lch.gif
    14.3 KB · Views: 350
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.