PeeCeeBee

Hi Acca. :wave:

Your job is wow! I love the mess with those hanging parts and am amazed that you made it work without any problem. :up::up::up: :eek::yikes:

Darlingtons are nice, but due to positive tempco and low fT they were avioded in the first place. I suggest you use a Vbe multiplier with them and fix the extra transistor to the main heatsink.

Please use the VSSA thread or the FET-hex Explendit thread to post your layout as this thread is focused only on Lateral FET designs.

Thanks.
shaan
Because it's good amp,it works ok ;)
I use parts from old TV.Only darlingtons are boughted.
For class B Vbe mult. is not needed.I can make it,but i like simple things.
Ok,when i finish.I'll post pcb.

Regards

Last edited:
Hi Acca.

I am sure that the quality of sound you are experiencing from the class-b darlington vssa is very good.

I have simulated the amp with darlington outputs (TIP142/147 models from Onsemi). The overall increase of distortion is 3 times higher than the FETs, in class-ab even with emitter resistors in the darlingtons. With zero bias class-b this can only get worse.

If you really want to know what the amp is capable of then you must try Laterals, in class-ab (no need for Vbe multiplier for Latfets in Class-AB either, just two 1N4148 in series and it's done).

:2c:

Happy listening.

shaan

Hi Marc.

No objection to your opinion.

I'm just tryin' to keep this thread as clean and action-filled as I(we) can.

It's been proven by many that with six active parts that you may already have in your junkbox, you can build and listen to the Amp of the Decade, without busting your budget. :wiz:

...with six active parts that you may already have in your junkbox, you can build and listen to the Amp of the Decade, without busting your budget. :wiz:
I have built two different versions, so far, and I also have Lazy Cat's modules from the GB in his VSSA thread. The one I listen to almost daily is the one closest to Shaan's original schematic (with compensation caps added, and a highly filtered power supply). I am still experimenting, but I do believe that this amplifier benefits from a clean supply, more so than others. I also hope to try some of the other versions, like Marc's (well, Borys/Marc's anyway... :D )

Attachments

• PSU4_VSSA_1b.jpg
    PSU4_VSSA_1b.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 533
  • VSSA_PeeCeeBee1a.jpg
    VSSA_PeeCeeBee1a.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 516
I have built two different versions, so far, and I also have Lazy Cat's modules from the GB in his VSSA thread. The one I listen to almost daily is the one closest to Shaan's original schematic (with compensation caps added, and a highly filtered power supply). I am still experimenting, but I do believe that this amplifier benefits from a clean supply, more so than others. I also hope to try some of the other versions, like Marc's (well, Borys/Marc's anyway... :D )

You can say borys one as i just customise layout. I don t doubt shaan version is good, i will try 2pair later as i have matched sk1058 and sj162 from my dismentle zenquito, but i have compare vssa and bg1 in differents evolutions and you know results...

Marc

Hi Acca.

I am sure that the quality of sound you are experiencing from the class-b darlington vssa is very good.

I have simulated the amp with darlington outputs (TIP142/147 models from Onsemi). The overall increase of distortion is 3 times higher than the FETs, in class-ab even with emitter resistors in the darlingtons. With zero bias class-b this can only get worse.

If you really want to know what the amp is capable of then you must try Laterals, in class-ab (no need for Vbe multiplier for Latfets in Class-AB either, just two 1N4148 in series and it's done).

:2c:

Happy listening.

shaan
In theory.
Practice,it's better than voltage feedback (quality) but worse in ofset.
I make another one amp with voltage feedback,and with small volume quality is worse than your amp.On small volume your amp sound's very good.You can try make comparison like me.Bias it in class B and see difference.:eek:
I can't make offset to 0V.In 0V region it changes from + to - 20mV.When heat up,it change to 1V:confused:
But quality is very good,even on small output voltage ;)
I used different darlingtons :D (BDX33C + TIP125)
I tried it with SMPS.Works very good,but i must change few parts to get better DC ofset.AC ofset ok.Maybe to try all trans. on same heat sink.

Attachments

• PTDC0010.JPG
    PTDC0010.JPG
    677 KB · Views: 650
  • PTDC0006.JPG
    PTDC0006.JPG
    573.1 KB · Views: 606
  • PTDC0007.JPG
    PTDC0007.JPG
    588.3 KB · Views: 557
  • PTDC0011.JPG
    PTDC0011.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
Today I just finish to mod my PeeCeeBee (the old 1 pair output)...
I changed VAS to BD139-140 ---> stable without compensation caps & without zobel
thanks to Shaan for this tips
I also change 2k2 / 100R resistor to 1k5 / 47R, I want higher gain...
but no the result is not so high (not much different)
I must find what wrong with me :D

The good news is the sound is still so good :) ...
for everyone that want to build this PeeCeeBee
just go for what Shaan says and
prepare to surprise because of the sound of this amp

About the big brother I not continue it yet,
Shaan, it is okay to post 2 pairs output here because
it is not the 6 transistors magic
they are 8 transistors magic :D

The good news is the sound is still so good :) ... prepare to surprise because of the sound of this amp...

Yes. True for all variations of the VSSA. Phenomenal, isn't it?

Shaan, it is okay to post 2 pairs output here because it is not the 6 transistors magic they are 8 transistors magic :D

No problem. All that matters is less phase, adding a buffer or driver stage increases phase difference between the input signal and the feedback signal. Paralleling devices doesn't increase phase, but may limit the highest frequency response which will still be above 1MHz.

You may even post one with parallel inputs, but not a CFP or diamond input. ;) :D