• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PeeCeeBee V4H GB

You can't tease us like that shaan and walk away! ;) Any details? Improvements you can share?
Yes shaan, a few details would be nice on your upcoming V5, especially where it might be an improvement on the previous release - or are you thinking of adding more options I wonder.

Hi.

As a peeceebee, v5 is going to stick to BJT-in and Lateral-out. There is going to be some twist and some weird this time though. :)

Background:

Throughout the last three years I have auditioned many different systems with good sounding amps, great sounding amps, and some amps that defy logic - meaning it was hard to believe what was coming from the speakers - I just didn't want to move an inch.

It appeared to me that a standard amplifier can only go so far as to sound great. But I have fallen in love with that third type mentioned above, and after about half a year of probing I have found something very interesting.

It is not a revision, but the next major version of peeceebee. What V4 brought to us compared to V3 was a big step forward. And after four versions spanning almost 8 years since 2013, to me it felt like this was the time to stop thinking about forward or backward, but only the music.

V5 is aspiring to be one of those special amps that make special speakers worthy of their status. That said, I'm loving the way the prototype is playing my disposable test speakers, thank god the amp's not judging the speakers based on their looks and specs! :)

Can't express the excitement really. Look forward to meet the bravest peeceebee yet this summer.
THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT AND INTEREST!!!

:worship:

Hi Shaan,

I have a memory of you posting somewhere about doing a preamplifier. Is that still a project that you're going to do? I hope so, I still use the V4 every day, it is a fantastic amp.

Yes the preamp is very much alive. Currently at its final stage of tuning. The control of harmonics is nice, but its implementation irrespective of output level and phase is not easy. However, a working design will soon be a reality.

Glad to know you like the V4! :)

Hi.

As a peeceebee, v5 is going to stick to BJT-in and Lateral-out. There is going to be some twist and some weird this time though. :)

Background:

Throughout the last three years I have auditioned many different systems with good sounding amps, great sounding amps, and some amps that defy logic - meaning it was hard to believe what was coming from the speakers - I just didn't want to move an inch.

It appeared to me that a standard amplifier can only go so far as to sound great. But I have fallen in love with that third type mentioned above, and after about half a year of probing I have found something very interesting.

It is not a revision, but the next major version of peeceebee. What V4 brought to us compared to V3 was a big step forward. And after four versions spanning almost 8 years since 2013, to me it felt like this was the time to stop thinking about forward or backward, but only the music.

V5 is aspiring to be one of those special amps that make special speakers worthy of their status. That said, I'm loving the way the prototype is playing my disposable test speakers, thank god the amp's not judging the speakers based on their looks and specs! :)

Can't express the excitement really. Look forward to meet the bravest peeceebee yet this summer.
THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT AND INTEREST!!!

:worship:
Great news! Sounds very exciting. I'm currently on build #2 of the V4H. Such a great sounding amp. Looking forward to your preamp as well.

Hi, shaan I need a little help here.
Just finished assembling my V4H and it seems I have a little problem with VAS adjustment.
Initially I use KSA1381 and KSC3503 as VAS, but whatever i did I got around 1V on R25 and R26. Changed R21 and R22 to 1K but things stayed the same. Also tried MJE340 and MJE350 and still got 1V on R25.
Biasing of the output stage seems to work fine.
I used my bench power supply at +-31V limited at 200mA.
Do you have any suggestions what to look for?

If you mean MegOhms then the transistors should be fine. The problem lies elsewhere. Probably a misplaced component or solder joint short or a loose solder joint. Please check if every resistor and capacitor is in its right place with correct value.

Also check VR1 and VR2 between pin 1 and 2 and see if their resistance changes when you turn them.

Hi.

Sorry for late response.

With 31V rails it is unlikely that these diodes are causing problem. Are they placed in the correct orientation?

Is it possible that the diodes are printed with the wrong orientation on the pcb?
Just removed and traced them according to the schematic and it seems so to me.
I use a pcb from the first group buy.
Also double and triple checked all the resistor and their values are correct.