Pearl Two

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Forgot to ask you lacrossebowe8, what cartridge are you using?

As it sounds like you have things pretty well buttoned up, it might be worth trying that Zobel mod on the input resistors. See photo for values and instruction (photo is from 6L6 - he’s the real master at troubleshooting this stuff!)

Attachments

• 5F350ADC-646F-4755-95C4-50B0240324D8.jpeg
    5F350ADC-646F-4755-95C4-50B0240324D8.jpeg
    786.5 KB · Views: 418
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Codyt - I am using the Rega Carbon cartridge. I plan to upgrade the table and cartridge one day.

Sorry, I completely spaced that. Your setup sounds solid to me. Hopefully that zobel works out for you. The only other things I did to mine were reducing the gain, removing input cap (cable should have enough capacitance), and removed the output cap in favor of a bypassed electrolytic cap on the supply return (to stabilize offset and remove dc). Take a look at the last couple pages in the ‘Building a Pearl 2’ post for more info.

I took a look through that. I did not install the input cap or the R20 resister which looks like where one would install the input zobel.

I put the case together and situated on my shelf with the turntable in between it and the amp. It still hums at full volume but is not really audible at my listening volume. The woofers are still pumping some but seems to be less than before.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I took a look through that. I did not install the input cap or the R20 resister which looks like where one would install the input zobel.

I put the case together and situated on my shelf with the turntable in between it and the amp. It still hums at full volume but is not really audible at my listening volume. The woofers are still pumping some but seems to be less than before.

I think R20 might be the optional input resistor spot. If that one’s empty, then your input resistor would be the 47k next to it.

So I added the zobel to the empty R20 (680 ohm and 1k pf) slot and my woofer pumping has stopped. Unfortunately it still hums audibly if the volume control is at a quarter or more. Listening levels are below that so it isn't bothersome while listening but I would love to get it a bit quieter if possible.

Also, anyone else who put the zobel in does the sound seem a bit thinner after? I hadn't listened much to the system with no zobel so I could have a poor sonic memory.

I'm going to leave the Zobel in for now. I'm guessing it was just poor sonic memory. Any common grounding errors I should look out for? I did try floating the star ground in the RIAA chassis and it was noisier fwiw.

On mine I have the ground planes of the boards connected to a ground lug on the chassis, which the turntable grounds to. The ground side of the input jacks are also connected to chassis but not the output jacks. The jacks themselves are insulated from the case. Are you using shielded wire anywhere inside? If so the shield must be grounded at one end. You can also try grounding the Pearl to the preamp case.

There are a lot of variations of grounding schemes to try.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I've collected most parts for this phono stage. I have matched pairs of k369 for inputs, i.e. two parallel jfets instead of four.

My question is regarding the pair Q4, Q5. Is it less critical to use low noise parts there? I was considering maybe k117 in that position instead of k369.

I'm sorry about yet another question about parts substitution, but I'm tempted to use what I have if possible.

I'm not sure if it was discussed before. If i want more gain than 65dB, can R14 go lower than 300 ohm ? say R14 = 100 ohm ?

Or should I keep R14 = 300 ohm and start to increase R15 ?

I have 0.25 mV MC cart and low powered amp with low efficient speaker. 65 dB full gain from Pearl 2 is still not quite enough.

Do you see any issues with going higher than 65 db for Pearl 2 phono stage ?

Thanks guys,
Tom

Last edited: