Passive Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Output impedance of my source is 75ohm, input impedance of my power amps is 100K. What Alps pot, 10K, 50K, 100K and wich resistor should i use? Thanks a lot!

What is the value of the output coupling capacitor in your source? How low do you want your bass to go?

Good question, i dont know the value of the output coupling capacitor.

Output impedance of my source is 75ohm, input impedance of my power amps is 100K. What Alps pot, 10K, 50K, 100K and wich resistor should i use? Thanks a lot!

What is the value of the output coupling capacitor in your source? How low do you want your bass to go?

Good question, i dont know the value of the output coupling capacitor.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hello,

Just ran into this topic. My comment refers back to the transformer coupled passive volume control. I've built two of the ElectraPrint Audio PVA units. I installed a DACT 10k stereo pot and silver wire in each. They work great and are supposed to maintain the power bandwidth no matter what the volume setting. Regards, HeyBill

DAC output impedance is high = 1.2K
DAC voltage output = 2.5Vpp
DAC has cap coupled outputs. Cap = 47uF

Length of the IC's between the DAC --> passive pre --> Amp will be 0.75 meters each

Amp input impedance = 22K
Amp line input sensitivity = 630mV
Amp has a low pass filter at 340kHz [series R 1K, || R = 22K and || cap = 470P]

If I use a 24K resistor with a 10K pot as a passive pre, will this be OK? If not, what values of the resistor and the pot would be recommended and why?

This is what I get based on my calculations [and I might be wrong, so please correct me if I am wrong]

Depending on the pot position, the input impedance of this passive pre will range from a minimum of: 24K to a maximum of: 31K

Output impedance of the passive pre at pot all the way down will be: 0K
Output impedance of the passive pre at pot all the way up will be: 7.16K

At actual listening levels the R of the pot will be less, so, output impedance of passive preamp will be more like: 0.96K
This is around: 1/23rd the input impedance of the Load

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.